Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

38. (1987) Only one airline offers a direct one-stop flight between Tokyo and London utilizing narrow-bodied equipment. Please identify the airline, the equipment and the single enroute stop.
The Soviet Union was still in full swing, so I'll try Aeroflot with an Ilyushin 62M, stopping at their Moscow (SVO) hub.

KT
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
38. (1987) Only one airline offers a direct one-stop flight between Tokyo and London utilizing narrow-bodied equipment. Please identify the airline, the equipment and the single enroute stop.

The Soviet Union was still in full swing, so I'll try Aeroflot with an Ilyushin 62M, stopping at their Moscow (SVO) hub.

Good call, KT. Here's the schedule...

Aeroflot SU 582 Tokyo (NRT) 100p-525p L Moscow (SVO) 655p-745p D London (LHR) IL-62M Mon Sat
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:12 am

I took a trip to Japan by Aeroflot late in 1993, after the Soviet Union had fallen. By then, the flight from London to Tokyo was often operated by their shiny new Airbus A310, so it was too risky to make a booking to Narita hoping for an Ilyushin and ending up flying the Airbus.

Aeroflot still flew to Nagoya, so we chose NGO (the original Komaki airport) as our destination and were rewarded with a 9 hour trip by IL-62M.
I recall there were about 18 passengers, so we were all moved to the front of the plane to make the "service" easier for the crew, or weight and balance.
The business class seats were standard economy seats but with extra leg room. Eating the the meal was challenging, as the seat back tray table was too far away for comfort. Chicken, peas and rice was still the standard Aeroflot meal back then.
We were the only non Russian/Japanese on the flight, so Japanese Customs took an interest in our luggage on arrival.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Semi-circular aft lounges

[QUOTE=jlemon;31355746]Interesting to note that KLM indeed had the first class cabin on their Electra II aircraft located all the way in the rear as it was quieter back there as WHBM points out....
/QUOTE]
I distinctly remember a semicircular arrangement of seats in the aft of a couple of flights I took in 1962 from YEG (Edmonton) to Minneapolis (MSP).
And my first thought was they were on Electras as has been described in this forum-- but when I checked my logs, they were supposedly on DC-6B aircraft (Northwest flight 20). Can anyone verify that the DC-6B had the circular aft lounges?
And speaking of a DC-6B reminds me of a 1968 Ecuatoriana flight I was on from Guayaquil (GWE) to Miami (MIA), and the cabin had some seats that could be converted to upper and lower sleeping berths. But it was a morning flight, so I never got to see them in action. Anyone tried that?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

33. (1995) It’s not easy leaving Miami, Florida in the winter, but when your destination is Mexico there’s considerably less sting to the journey. In this case, you’re flying down to Acapulco to attend the wedding of an old friend who’s finally tying the knot after 56 years. You’d expected to have to make a connection somewhere along the way, but to your great surprise there’s a nonstop flight departing Miami for Acapulco each Monday afternoon. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

58. (1983) You need to travel from Chicago to Brownsville, TX. Jeez – no way this ain’t gonna involve a connection in Dallas or Houston. But NO! Turns out there’s a 2-stop direct flight from Chicago all the way down to Brownsville, and as an added bonus there’s even a breakfast and a snack served enroute. Well alrighty then. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft type.
33. Hmmmm.....the frequency of the flight in question was once a week on Mondays. And that leads me to think this service may have originated in Europe. So let's go with LTU operating a B767-300 with the flight originating somewhere in Germany.

58. I do recall that Ozark began serving Brownsville back in the early 1980's. So let's try OZ operating a DC-9-30 with a routing of Chicago O'Hare - St. Louis - San Antonio - Brownsville.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
33. (1995) It’s not easy leaving Miami, Florida in the winter, but when your destination is Mexico there’s considerably less sting to the journey. In this case, you’re flying down to Acapulco to attend the wedding of an old friend who’s finally tying the knot after 56 years. You’d expected to have to make a connection somewhere along the way, but to your great surprise there’s a nonstop flight departing Miami for Acapulco each Monday afternoon. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

Hmmmm.....the frequency of the flight in question was once a week on Mondays. And that leads me to think this service may have originated in Europe. So let's go with LTU operating a B767-300 with the flight originating somewhere in Germany.

Correct! I noticed per the schedule that this LTU flight offered a "W" class. Did LTU offer a premium product back then?

LTU LT 412 Miami (MIA) 245p-400p Acapulco (ACA) 767-300 Mon only

58. (1983) You need to travel from Chicago to Brownsville, TX. Jeez – no way this ain’t gonna involve a connection in Dallas or Houston. But NO! Turns out there’s a 2-stop direct flight from Chicago all the way down to Brownsville, and as an added bonus there’s even a breakfast and a snack served enroute. Well alrighty then. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft type.

I do recall that Ozark began serving Brownsville back in the early 1980's. So let's try OZ operating a DC-9-30 with a routing of Chicago O'Hare - St. Louis - San Antonio - Brownsville.

Your memory serves you well, JL. Ozark it is via the routing you've provided. Here's the schedule:

Ozark Airlines OZ 617 Chicago (ORD) 700a-800a S St. Louis (STL) 900a-1100a B San Antonio (SAT) 1118a-1208p Brownsville (BRN) DC-9-30 Daily
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a picture from a postcard of the aft lounge in PSA's Electra ...

jlemon and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

Eastern
Thanks....so I take it the first class section (A class) was in the forward cabin......
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
no, it was an Air-Shuttle plane ... unless you consider the lounge as “F”
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, it was an Air-Shuttle plane ... unless you consider the lounge as “F”
Ah, that's right....EA did operate the Electra on shuttle service in the northeast at one point.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
34. (1987) Only one airline offers direct one-stop no change of plane service between Pittsburgh, PA and London, England. Which airline is it and what type of airplane is involved?

British Airways, Boeing 747-200

The stop was Philadelphia. A few years earlier, maybe 1985, the stop was Washington Dulles.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.

Pan Am
JFK
Boeing 747
Lockheed L-1011
McDonnell Douglas DC-10
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: BA
summer of 1969 (1970?) I was one of ~60 local high school students who won a one-hour sightseeing flight over the Washington DC area ... we were on board N5517 and I distinctly remember the lounge area at the back of the cabin
My hunch is that this was a spare time Shuttle backup aircraft, presumably at the weekend.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
34. (1987) Only one airline offers direct one-stop no change of plane service between Pittsburgh, PA and London, England. Which airline is it and what type of airplane is involved?

British Airways, Boeing 747-200. The stop was Philadelphia. A few years earlier, maybe 1985, the stop was Washington Dulles.

You're right about BA and the 747-200. However, per the 1987 schedule I referenced, the stop was in Washington Dulles, not Philadelphia
48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.

Pan Am
JFK
Boeing 747
Lockheed L-1011
McDonnell Douglas DC-10

This sounds nice, but no - the airline wasn't Pan Am. Lest we provide too many clues via fleet make-up, I won't comment on aircraft types until the correct airline and city of origin are identified. Please, guess again!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Pan Am
JFK
Boeing 747
Lockheed L-1011
McDonnell Douglas DC-10
This sounds nice, but no - the airline wasn't Pan Am. Lest we provide too many clues via fleet make-up, I won't comment on aircraft types until the correct airline and city of origin are identified. Please, guess again!
48- how about Continental, operating 747, DC-10, and A300 service between Gatwick and Newark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.