Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA
6. (1988) You and your wife have just settled into the plush First Class seats of a big, beautiful Lockheed L-1011 and are savoring the first sips of your pre-flight Bloody Marys. Looking out your window, you can’t help but admire the impressive lineup of 747 freighters parked at Anchorage International Airport. Still, in your eyes, Lockheed’s big bird – the only one flying out of Anchorage – is the most beautiful airplane on the tarmac. Can you identify the airline you’re flying on and the destination of your flight?
TWA to St Louis ?

26. (1982) During the summer months nonstop service between Vancouver and Honolulu is limited to just two flights a week – one on Wednesday and one on Friday. Alas, you’re unable to fly until the weekend. Thankfully, the only other service between Vancouver and Honolulu is a 1-stop direct flight that departs Vancouver each Saturday. You quickly book a pair of First Class seats for yourself and your girlfriend. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the enroute stop.
Qantas 747 through San Francisco ?

Of course, at this time in addition to what was shown in the OAG, Wardair ran probably more 747 and DC-10 holiday flights, 12 months of the year, from Vancouver to Honolulu than all the schedules added together. They had scooped most of the market, and you could buy them at any travel agency in Vancouver.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:30 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
When was the last time you flew on a flight with an enroute stop? Enroute stops are a common question on this thread. I haven't for years, certainly more than 10 years. It's still common on Southwest Airlines.

I have been on a connecting flight operated by the same plane on rare occasions.
That to me is why I keep coming back and reading this thread. While, almost all of the quiz questions come from a time before I was even born it is amazing to read the schedules and see these 5 or 7 stop milk runs on Ozark, or some other regional airline of the past. Being very much interested in such things I have gone out of my way to fly these type of flights when I can.

Certainly, Southwest is the most generous here as I have flown things like EWR-MDW-STL-SEA. Although, I don't often fly Southwest when I do I seek out routes like that when possible.

The other of course most famous these days has to be United's Island Hopper, which was an absolute wonderful day flying through tiny islands in the South Pacific that I otherwise had no business being in. Routing (HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM).

Last summer I found what I considered the ultimate "mult-hop prop-stop" as I called it. Me and a fellow Flyertalker jumped on Porter Airlines flight out to YYT. Routing (YTZ-YOW-YHZ-YYT) All done on a Q400 Dash 8. Pretty sure this is as close to the "old days" as you can find something to fly in North America these days.

There are also still some through flights on Qatar Airways that I have been on DOH-BKK-HAN for example. I was also on a QR flight from DOH-SGN that continued on to PNH although I deplaned in SGN that day.

Finally, BA and Air France have some interesting flights in enroute stops in the Caribbean. The one I want to fly next is their flight from French Guiana to Miami flying CAY-FDF-PTP-PAP-MIA on an A320. That seems like it would be quite a fun day.

Those kind of flights are out there, and I personally find them quite interesting, and seek them out as often as I can.

I also enjoy reading the answers and seeing the schedules of all these other flights from a time when this was way more common, so I do thank all of the contributors here who keep expanding my knowledge.

(Sorry to go slightly off topic).
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. (1988) You and your wife have just settled into the plush First Class seats of a big, beautiful Lockheed L-1011 and are savoring the first sips of your pre-flight Bloody Marys. Looking out your window, you can’t help but admire the impressive lineup of 747 freighters parked at Anchorage International Airport. Still, in your eyes, Lockheed’s big bird – the only one flying out of Anchorage – is the most beautiful airplane on the tarmac. Can you identify the airline you’re flying on and the destination of your flight?

TWA to St Louis ?

No, it was not TWA either. At least not per the schedule I reference. And of course Eastern never served Anchorage, so that leaves...

26. (1982) During the summer months nonstop service between Vancouver and Honolulu is limited to just two flights a week – one on Wednesday and one on Friday. Alas, you’re unable to fly until the weekend. Thankfully, the only other service between Vancouver and Honolulu is a 1-stop direct flight that departs Vancouver each Saturday. You quickly book a pair of First Class seats for yourself and your girlfriend. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the enroute stop.

Qantas 747 through San Francisco ?

Of course, at this time in addition to what was shown in the OAG, Wardair ran probably more 747 and DC-10 holiday flights, 12 months of the year, from Vancouver to Honolulu than all the schedules added together. They had scooped most of the market, and you could buy them at any travel agency in Vancouver.

Qantas through SFO is correct! This flight and routing represented my first experience with international First Class travel back in 1976. Here's the schedule...

Qantas QF Vancouver (YVR) 550p-800p S San Francisco (SFO) 900p-1110p D Honolulu (HNL) 747-200 Sat only
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. (1983) Heat and humidity notwithstanding, you’ve had a great week visiting your in-laws in New Orleans. Even so, you’re looking forward to returning to the comparatively more comfortable climate back home in Edmonton, Alberta. However, you’re definitely not looking forward to the two connections and the delayed flight you endured on the flights down to MSY. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that there’s a direct flight from New Orleans all the way up to Edmonton. It makes four stops, but so what? At least you won’t have to worry about those darned connections. Please identify the usual triumvirate intrinsic to a correct answer here: Airline * Enroute Stops* Aircraft
Since I grew up in Edmonton, and we lived in New Orleans during the 1980s, this should be an easy one. But, my records from those days don't reflect any through flights MSY-YYC, although I flew to Calgary and Edmonton several times, with major connections in DEN or SLC or even MSP.. But I'm going to guess it was Western; New Orleans - Houston - Denver - Great Falls - Calgary - Edmonton (YEG) using a 737.

I hope JLEMON survived the passage of Hurricane Barry -- it passed us to the west, with only some slight rain showers and some flooding here, just north of Lake Pontchartrain.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
6- Hawaiian, destination Honolulu (HNL)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
28. (1983) In the old days, if you wanted to fly from most anywhere in Canada to most anywhere in Texas, you had to make a connection in Chicago, Denver or New York. Since deregulation however, both nonstop and direct service is available from a variety of Canadian cities to either Dallas or Houston. Winnipeg is also a beneficiary of these new services, albeit via a daily two-stop direct flight to Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. At least dinner and a snack are offered along the way. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
28- Northwest red-tails had been a regular sight at YWG for a long time, but as I don’t recall them operating at HOU, let’s go with a Frontier 737-200 by way of Denver (DEN) and Bismarck (BIS)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
1. (1983) Heat and humidity notwithstanding, you’ve had a great week visiting your in-laws in New Orleans. Even so, you’re looking forward to returning to the comparatively more comfortable climate back home in Edmonton, Alberta. However, you’re definitely not looking forward to the two connections and the delayed flight you endured on the flights down to MSY. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that there’s a direct flight from New Orleans all the way up to Edmonton. It makes four stops, but so what? At least you won’t have to worry about those darned connections. Please identify the usual triumvirate intrinsic to a correct answer here: Airline * Enroute Stops* Aircraft

Since I grew up in Edmonton, and we lived in New Orleans during the 1980s, this should be an easy one. But, my records from those days don't reflect any through flights MSY-YYC, although I flew to Calgary and Edmonton several times, with major connections in DEN or SLC or even MSP.. But I'm going to guess it was Western; New Orleans - Houston - Denver - Great Falls - Calgary - Edmonton (YEG) using a 737.

I hope JLEMON survived the passage of Hurricane Barry -- it passed us to the west, with only some slight rain showers and some flooding here, just north of Lake Pontchartrain

Hey Mini! Good to hear from you and glad that you fared well through Barry. I'm also happy to see your memory still serves you well as Western is indeed the airline of record here. However, the aircraft was a 727-200 and Denver was not the stop between Dallas and Great Falls - Salt Lake City was. I was tempted to leave these blank and let you complete the answer but in Western's case the options are so glaringly obvious that I went ahead and tapped in. Here's the schedule:

Western Airlines WA New Orleans (MSY) 700a-818a Dallas (DFW) 850a-1020a B Salt Lake City (SLC) 1055a-1212p Great Falls (GTF) 250p-145p Calgary (YYC) 215p-252p Edmonton (YEG) 727-200 Daily

Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I lied — it was Oct 2018, UIO-GYE-GPS (Baltra, Galapagos Islands); LATAM Ecuador A319
and I also forgot two AS 737-400 trips in 2017 on the Inside Passage milk run (JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA), one in Aug (following SEA-JNU on one of their last 737-200 Combi flights), and the other (along with Mrs767 and Seat 2A) on a beautiful clear November day on what was billed as the farewell flight of the 734
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
28. (1983) In the old days, if you wanted to fly from most anywhere in Canada to most anywhere in Texas, you had to make a connection in Chicago, Denver or New York. Since deregulation however, both nonstop and direct service is available from a variety of Canadian cities to either Dallas or Houston. Winnipeg is also a beneficiary of these new services, albeit via a daily two-stop direct flight to Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. At least dinner and a snack are offered along the way. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Northwest red-tails had been a regular sight at YWG for a long time, but as I don’t recall them operating at HOU, let’s go with a Frontier 737-200 by way of Denver (DEN) and Bismarck (BIS)

You Da Man, J! Heres the schedule:

Frontier FL 126 Winnipeg (YWG) 457p-549p Bismarck (BIS) 609p-640p S Denver (DEN) 720p-1038p D Houston (HOU) 737-200

Hawaiian, destination Honolulu (HNL)

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Hawaiian Air HA 27 Anchorage (ANC) 930a-110p L Honolulu (HNL) L-1011 Mo Fr Sa

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 14, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

27. (1961) You need to fly from New Orleans to New York next week. For a variety of reasons, you’ve never much cared for Douglas airliners, so you decide to book a flight on the only airline offering service with a Boeing built jetliner. The flight makes one stop enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
27- if I were a betting man I would wager this was an Eastern Airlines 720 stopping (naturally) in Atlanta (ATL)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

TWA to St Louis ?

No, it was not TWA either. At least not per the schedule I reference. And of course Eastern never served Anchorage, so that leaves...
1988 seems late to still route via ANC, but I'll try British Airways to Tokyo (NRT)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
7. (1982) Three airlines operate a single daily nonstop flight between Kansas City and Las Vegas. Each airline operates a different aircraft type – one with 2 engines, one with 3 engines and one with 4 engines. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates on this route.

Revised answers
Ozark, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30
TWA, Boeing 727-100
United, McDonnell Douglas DC-8-71
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA
Today, Sunday, may be the Finals, and likewise the British Grand Prix, but all this pales into comparison with it being the Cricket World Cup Finals, which England (against New Zealand) are in for the first time since …. well, for a long time..... . And I'm sure that BA will announce, as ever and halfway across the Atlantic, periodic scores from the flight deck as things progress during the day. Sorry if you're heading homeward to the US and all this will be completely incomprehensible
Well, it seems that England have … won. By the narrowest margin imaginable.

The New Zealand team were heavily sponsored by Air New Zealand, and played in black kit just like the ANZ livery. I see that just now ANZ1, LHR-LAX-Auckland, is currently approaching Greenland. I wonder what the announcements on board are like ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 14, 2019 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

United Airlines to San Francisco.

I agree with the L-1011 Tristar was the most beautiful airplane and, in my opinion, the most technologically advanced plane in its time. I enjoyed flying on them, mostly on TWA and Delta. The smoke generated on engine start was a blast, seeing some passengers look with shock.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

13. (1982) Back in 1982, passengers desiring nonstop jet flights between Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport and San Antonio had a choice of three airlines. One of them was of course Southwest. Please identify the other two airlines and the aircraft type each operated on this route.

Ozark, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30
Muse Air, McDonnell Douglas MD-80

Not so sure about Muse but more sure about Ozark

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jul 14, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.