Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Here's an aerial view of Vigie Airport (SLU) on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia taken from a Dash 8 on final:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/...9oZvmTIj9nynBo

I checked out SLU some years ago while visiting St. Lucia (we arrived by sailboat at a dock near the airport and thus not by air) and it sure looked like a challenging airfield to operate jet service into.

And here's a BONUS quiz question.....

What was the largest jetliner type ever operated into SLU in scheduled passenger service and what airline operated it? ANSWERED - BWIA operating an MD-80
And we are still looking for an answer here as well. We know that Caribair operated DC-9-30 service into SLU at one point. So the aircraft in question here was larger than a D9S.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:25 am Reason: answer update
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by WHBM
Not surprisingly, that was an ad strapline not seen in Europe.

There was quite an up-tempo short TV ad for them, with the "BEA ... number one in Europe" song, but I can only find the turgid and elongated cinema ad version here. Does it sound dated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzW3MX-myCE

Almost expect the Pearl & Dean to follow (you have to be a Brit of a certain era to understand).
Heh - I remember that ad. Being a bit of a jingle geek (Mrs Rosensfole despairs) I used to look forward to the Pearl & Dean ad break. Oh, and whatever happened to the Lyons Maid ice-cream intermission?

While I reminisce... am I the only flyer who misses those printed tickets?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rosensfole
While I reminisce... am I the only flyer who misses those printed tickets?
oh, not at all
Seat 2A and rosensfole like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767

oh, not at all
Heh. I remember that I couldn't put the ticket booklet down upon receipt of my first one. I absorbed every last detail from it. It might still be printed on my retina to this day 🤪
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... early 1976 ... 16. Another day, another interesting milk run! You are in Chicago and will be traveling to Miami. There's a daily flight from ORD to MIA which makes five stops en route with a snack being served followed by lunch later on during the flight. Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft.
16- once again I can envision multiple airlines (three, in this instance) that might have had single-plane service on this route, and in fact I'd probably be willing to wager that all would have operated some variant of the DC9 ... a couple of this round's answers have featured Eastern, so I'm going to eliminate them from contention for this one and start the guessing with Southern, operating via:
  1. Memphis (MEM)
  2. Mobile (MOB)
  3. Pensacola (PNS)
  4. Ft Walton Beach (VPS)
  5. Tallahassee (TLH)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Big Banana
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Heh. I remember that I couldn't put the ticket booklet down upon receipt of my first one. I absorbed every last detail from it. It might still be printed on my retina to this day ��
One better. I still have my first one, somewhere up in the attic. Hand written but the same format. Cambrian Airways CS513 Liverpool to Isle of Man in 1966. Three pounds 18 shillings. It was not produced by the airline but hand written by the local travel agent (who in subsequent years I used to pester for their out-of-date ABC World timetables).

I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a little PC App that you can enter your flight details into and it produces the pages of the old type tickets, cover with the airline logo and everything, for you to print, cut up, and staple into an old-style ticket if you wish.

I used to look forward to the Pearl & Dean ad break. Oh, and whatever happened to the Lyons Maid ice-cream intermission?

One of the guys in the office has it as the ringtone on his phone, so I still hear it every day. It's called "Asteroid". I think the only time you will have heard it in the USA was when Monty Python took the mickey out of it, more than once.

When I first went to the cinema in the US (and a mainstream one in LA of all places) I was surprised at how simplistic it was. Just lights down, start, finish.

No preceding short film (such as "Look at Life" in Rank cinemas, who would do subjects like Heathrow airport, a couple linked to back in this thread). No bored 16 year old "usherette" waving her torch vaguely in the direction of empty seats (and no people coming in halfway through). Although we now have trailers for forthcoming films (which have nowadays become ludicrously long, over half an hour). No ice cream vendor. And if you went to the big cinema in the city, the 40-something lady with the ludicrously large blonde hairdo (probably a wig) playing the organ at the front, who at the end got picked out by a spotlight, did a bow, and got some desultory applause, plus maybe a few jeers. And if the cinema was both really REALLY posh, and old-fashioned, the National Anthem played at the end.

And no ads, topped and tailed by that music from Pearl & Dean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_%26_Dean , effectively a monopoly advertising contractor based in the heart of the film commercial world in Soho, London. The classic was a longstanding one. Initial film of an elegant restaurant with half a dozen professional waiters. The professional voiceover "For the finest of food, the best of service, and the greatest atmosphere, visit ...". Then an amateurish stills card would come up "The Flying Banana Restaurant. 276 High Street. Next to the bus station.Two minutes from this cinema". And the projectionist would be announcing the same words, in decidedly unprofessional accent.

Keith Waterhouse in his autobiography "City Lights" describes it all brilliantly and humorously.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 3, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

What was the largest jetliner type ever operated into SLU in scheduled passenger service and what airline operated it?

Per jlemon: And we are still looking for an answer here as well. We know that Caribair operated DC-9-30 service into SLU at one point. So the aircraft in question here was larger than a D9S.

I have a fondness for St. Lucia, it being the first Caribbean island I ever visited, way back in 1977. I was traveling on an Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage Fare and SLU was one of my three mandatory stopovers. In any event, I used to check in on SLU now and then whenever I got my hands on a new (used) OAG and I'm almost 100% positive (We'll settle for 98%) that BWIA used to fly its L-1011-500 Tristars into SLU. Additionally, I think BA's served SLU with a 747 as well. Could be either a -200 or a -400
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
16- once again I can envision multiple airlines (three, in this instance) that might have had single-plane service on this route, and in fact I'd probably be willing to wager that all would have operated some variant of the DC9 ... a couple of this round's answers have featured Eastern, so I'm going to eliminate them from contention for this one and start the guessing with Southern, operating via:
  1. Memphis (MEM)
  2. Mobile (MOB)
  3. Pensacola (PNS)
  4. Ft Walton Beach (VPS)
  5. Tallahassee (TLH)
16. Southern (SO) is an excellent guess as this air carrier was indeed operating a daily flight which made five stops en route from Chicago O'Hare to Miami. SO 227 operated with a DC9-10 flew a routing of ORD-MEM-JAN-MOB-VPS-MCO-MIA. However, lunch was not served on this flight although a snack was and the flight in question was not operated with a DC9 and also did not stop not stop at any of the airports mentioned above.

You also mentioned Eastern which at this time was operating two daily ORD-MIA nonstops with 727 equipment plus a third daily flight operated with a DC9-10 which made two stops en route being BNA and BHM, neither of which was served by the flight in question.

So we are looking for another airline here. Please guess again!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Big Banana
20. Nope! Please guess again!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe post as my prehistoric laptop continues to expire.....<br /><br />Fortunately, a new one is now on the way via FedEx.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16. Southern (SO) is an excellent guess as this air carrier was indeed operating a daily flight which made five stops en route from Chicago O'Hare to Miami. SO 227 operated with a DC9-10 flew a routing of ORD-MEM-JAN-MOB-VPS-MCO-MIA. However, lunch was not served on this flight although a snack was and the flight in question was not operated with a DC9 and also did not stop not stop at any of the airports mentioned above.

You also mentioned Eastern which at this time was operating two daily ORD-MIA nonstops with 727 equipment plus a third daily flight operated with a DC9-10 which made two stops en route being BNA and BHM, neither of which was served by the flight in question.

So we are looking for another airline here. Please guess again!
so you're saying "Southern DC-9" is actually a correct answer, but it's not the answer you were seeking when you posed the question ...

my third guess is Delta; since you've also stated "not operated with a DC9, it would be a 727-232 ... as for stops, let's go with these:
  1. Cincinnati (CVG)
  2. Lexington (LEX)
  3. Atlanta (ATL)
  4. Tampa (TPA)
  5. Ft Lauderdale (FLL)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

What was the largest jetliner type ever operated into SLU in scheduled passenger service and what airline operated it?

Per jlemon: And we are still looking for an answer here as well. We know that Caribair operated DC-9-30 service into SLU at one point. So the aircraft in question here was larger than a D9S.

I have a fondness for St. Lucia, it being the first Caribbean island I ever visited, way back in 1977. I was traveling on an Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage Fare and SLU was one of my three mandatory stopovers. In any event, I used to check in on SLU now and then whenever I got my hands on a new (used) OAG and I'm almost 100% positive (We'll settle for 98%) that BWIA used to fly its L-1011-500 Tristars into SLU. Additionally, I think BA's served SLU with a 747 as well. Could be either a -200 or a -400
BONUS: Ah, Seat 2A! You will no doubt recall that St. Lucia has had two commercially served airports over the years and still does.

The smaller of the two airfields is located just over a mile from the capital city of Castries on the west coast of the island and was previously known as Vigie Field which still uses the SLU code and is now known as George F.L. Charles Airport. This is the airport which appears in the photo link I included with this bonus quiz item. SLU does not have jet service these days and I believe the largest aircraft type currently operated into this airport in scheduled passenger service is the ATR-72.

The other larger airport is located in the southeast portion of the island. This is Hewannora Airport (UVF) which was previously known as Beane Field. Wide body service into St. Lucia (including BA 747 and BWIA L-1011 flights in the past) has always been operated into Hewanorra and not Vigie. This continues to be the case at the present time.

So we are looking for the largest jet type operated into Vigie (SLU) and thus not Hewanorra (UVF). And it wasn't a wide body, of course.

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so you're saying "Southern DC-9" is actually a correct answer, but it's not the answer you were seeking when you posed the question ...

my third guess is Delta; since you've also stated "not operated with a DC9, it would be a 727-232 ... as for stops, let's go with these:
  1. Cincinnati (CVG
  2. Lexington (LEX)
  3. Atlanta (ATL)
  4. Tampa (TPA)
  5. Ft Lauderdale (FLL)
16. Nope, your answer was incorrect. I was merely pointing out that Southern was operating a flight from ORD to MIA that made five stops as well at this time.

However, as this quiz item states, LUNCH was served on the flight in question.....and as I mentioned in my response to your guess, lunch was not served on the SO flight.

And it wasn't Delta, either, nor was the equipment a B727-200. However, you did get one of the stops right being Tampa and TPA was actually the fifth stop.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, " partially correct" in that it was indeed five stops between ORD and MIA -- the segments were certainly long enough for snack (ORD-MEM) and lunch (MCO-MIA) service ... and just for the record, I've always considered the mention of meal service more of a conversation point than anything else

pulling out all the stops here for my last guess on this one:
United with a 737 operating via:
  1. Toledo (TOL)
  2. Cleveland (CLE)
  3. Akron/Canton (CAK)
  4. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  5. Tampa (TPA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.