Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. Nope, it wasn't TTa (a.k.a. Tree-Top Airways or Tinker-Toy Airways which by 1976 had changed its name to Texas International) and the equipment wasn't a turboprop.

However, you've correctly guessed the first, second and fourth stops in order.....and I have the feeling you will be tapping this one in shortly.
not exactly sure about the reference to 1976, as the question deals with 1966 ... but anyway, Option #2 is Braniff, stop #3 is Dallas (DAL), and the equipment (thanks for the "wasn't a turboprop" hint , as I was initially expecting to type "Lockheed Electra") is a BAC One-Eleven
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Aha ! I'd mentioned Air France and Air Siam; there was one other 1974 airline that scheduled the A300 other than these two.
Sorry 'bout that! Lufthansa comes to mind as an early operator. Let's go with it.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA
Yep, I thought we were looking for a third air carrier here....and although Lufthansa ordered the A300 early on, I do not think it was LH.

So let's go with Air Inter. And if so, the A300 was probably way too big for most domestic routes in France.
No, it wasn't Air Inter in 1974; although an early purchaser I believe their first came in 1976.

And the A300 was much more relevant to Air Inter then. The French TGV high speed rail system only first opened, a relatively short part, in 1981 (gosh, nearly 40 years ago). Since then it has expanded immensely, but prior to that the main trunk airline routes to the French cities well removed from Paris - Nice, Marseille, Bordeaux, even Lyon, were substantial high density operations. These routes lost much of their business as the TGV came along.

If it helps, this early third operator did run the A300 to Asia. Although they weren't Asian. Nor European.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
not exactly sure about the reference to 1976, as the question deals with 1966 ... but anyway, Option #2 is Braniff, stop #3 is Dallas (DAL), and the equipment (thanks for the "wasn't a turboprop" hint , as I was initially expecting to type "Lockheed Electra") is a BAC One-Eleven
Got my years mixed up. Call it "Oldtimer's-itis". So consider the reference to Texas International as an incidental historical aside (and the year of the name change from Trans-Texas Airways as well as airline code change from TT to TI was actually 1969).

3. Braniff International is correct! Here's the sched.....

BN 270: Corpus Christi (CRP) 6:00a - 6:34a San Antonio (SAT) 6:50a - 7:13a Austin (AUS) 7:28a - 8:07a Dallas Love Field (DAL) 8:30a - 9:27a Lubbock (LBB) 9:40a - 10:00a Amarillo (AMA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Continental Breakfast CRP-SAT & AUS-DAL
Equip: BAC One-11 "Fastback" JET

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
gotta love those quick enroute stops (16 min at SAT, 15 min at AUS, 13 min at LBB) -- didn't the 1-11 have an integral airstair in the forward door? that would have eliminated the need to position either a jetway or a stair truck before pax could deplane, and the pilots could start the #1 engine as soon as the door was shut for departure
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
.....didn't the 1-11 have an integral airstair in the forward door? that would have eliminated the need to position either a jetway or a stair truck before pax could deplane, and the pilots could start the #1 engine as soon as the door was shut for departure
Yep, it sure did....well, at least the new One-Elevens originally ordered by Braniff did.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Bran...BP/iOK0UBCgd%2

And I do know that Austin Mueller (AUS) did not have any jetways in 1966.

BTW, I also believe Braniff International introduced Austin's first jet service back in 1965 with the BAC One-Eleven.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:02 pm

gotta love those quick enroute stops (16 min at SAT, 15 min at AUS, 13 min at LBB) -- didn't the 1-11 have an integral airstair in the forward door? that would have eliminated the need to position either a jetway or a stair truck before pax could deplane, and the pilots could start the #1 engine as soon as the door was shut for departure
It was an option. I presume with those staccato stops that Braniff took it. In addition there was an integral ventral airstair under the tail, so two sets of steps were carried. The One-Eleven was designed to operate in and out without needing ground support equipment - catering was often carried in Europe up the steps by the cabin crew. Normal at European airports in those times was to approach the gate head on, then make a 135-degree turn, stop and deploy airstairs, ready to start and taxy straight out again - something you can still see at London City, which still has neither jetways nor stair trucks - wheeled stairs are pushed up by hand.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
If it helps, this early third operator did run the A300 to Asia. Although they weren't Asian. Nor European.
Hmm... neither Asian nor European but they served Asia... So North and South America are out, as is Australia (at least in 1974). That leaves Africa. Total shot in the dark here, but given Algeria's history with France, I'm going to guess Air Algerie. Please don't ask me where they served in Asia (assuming it even is Air Algerie). I am only a simple creature with limited knowledge of such things. Someone else will have to step up for that one...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hmm... neither Asian nor European but they served Asia... So North and South America are out, as is Australia (at least in 1974). That leaves Africa. Total shot in the dark here, but given Algeria's history with France, I'm going to guess Air Algerie. Please don't ask me where they served in Asia (assuming it even is Air Algerie). I am only a simple creature with limited knowledge of such things. Someone else will have to step up for that one...
Istanbul would technically be considered Asia, no? that doesn’t seem too far afield for AH ...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Istanbul would technically be considered Asia, no? that doesn’t seem too far afield for AH ...
Thank you, J. Istanbul sounds as good as any place in "regional" Asia. We await word from the wizard...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm going to guess Air Algerie. Please don't ask me where they served in Asia (assuming it even is Air Algerie).
Good shot S2A, it is Air Algerie. The first two A300-B1 prototypes were slightly smaller than the rest of production, one was soon broken up but the other was placed with Air Algerie in late 1974, their first widebody, to run a daily schedule to - Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. This was not an all-year operation but was just run for two months as part of the Hadj annual pilgrimage to nearby Mecca. The aircraft came back after two months to run holiday flights replacing a Boeing 720 at TEA of Belgium, which it did despite being an oddball unique aircraft for the next 15 years. It remained owned by Airbus for much of its life and was leased out to the operators.

Although only being with Air Algerie for two months Airbus gave it a full paint scheme. Here's a photo history of the aircraft

Weather & Aviation Page - OO-TEF

The Hadj takes place over a couple of months each year, and occupies a substantial fleet of both scheduled and charter operations. Despite using mainstream aircraft and chartering from western operators, all through the 1970s it was marred by a whole series of major aircraft accidents to its operations in many of the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incide...rplane_crashes
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I haven't been here for a while so it's great to see yet another super quiz from jlemon and even better that I can at least answer one question...

9. Fill in the blank concerning the identify of the air carrier which ran this print ad in 1970:

"When in Europe do as the Europeans do. Fly BEA."
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
I haven't been here for a while so it's great to see yet another super quiz from jlemon and even better that I can at least answer one question...

9. Fill in the blank concerning the identify of the air carrier which ran this print ad in 1970:

"When in Europe do as the Europeans do. Fly BEA."
Hello rosensfole! Welcome back....and you are correct! Here's the BEA print ad in question from 1970....

BEwhenineurope70
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Not surprisingly, that was an ad strapline not seen in Europe.

There was quite an up-tempo short TV ad for them, with the "BEA ... number one in Europe" song, but I can only find the turgid and elongated cinema ad version here. Does it sound dated.

Almost expect the Pearl & Dean to follow (you have to be a Brit of a certain era to understand).
jlemon and rosensfole like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16. Another day, another interesting milk run in 1976! You are in Chicago and will be traveling to Miami. There's a daily flight from ORD to MIA which makes five stops en route with a snack being served followed by lunch later on during the flight. Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) in 1976 with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment. It wasn't Aeromexico or Lufthansa and the equipment wasn't a DC-10

19. It's 1976. You arrive at the airport in Mexico City just in time to catch the last flight of the day to Miami. This daily service departs MEX at 2:55 pm and arrives into MIA at 8:32 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't Pan Am, the equipment wasn't a 707 and the stop wasn't made at TPA

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977? "_________ Banana" (it wasn't "Flying Banana", "Golden Banana", "Big Banana" or "Top Banana".....)
Just four to go here from my initial set before we move on to Round Two......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:28 am Reason: answer updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.