Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 8, 19, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Ah, Tier Points are not miles - 1 TP is equivalent to 60-80 American EQMs and there is no EQD requirement. To further confuse you RDM are called Avios. Mind you, I know nothing of the Alaska Mileage Plan but it doesn't get you OneWorld perks.
Thanks for the clarification, Phil. I knew the tier points were not miles but was under the impression that their equivalent value was a bit less, as in about 50 miles per point. I shall pass on this newfound nugget of knowledge to my fellow employee who steered me toward the lesser figure.

As to Aussies putting their domestic travel on American's AAdvantage, there once was a time that some felt they got better value for their travels (even within Australia/NZ) via AA's program than Qantas'. Now that AAdvantage earning is revenue rather than mileage based, this may no longer be the case.

As to me - maybe I would do well to limit my participation here to presenting a few simplistic questions now and then!
Old May 8, 19, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
13. This International Airport (NOT in the U.S.) was the first airport to be built completely on an artificial island. Can you identify it?

Kansai in Osaka Bay (KIX / RJBB)?

You Da Man, Mr. S! To quote from New World Encyclopedia, "Kansai International Airport was the first airport to be built completely on an artificial island in 1994. It was followed by Chūbu Centrair International Airport in 2005 and the New Kitakyushu Airport and Kobe Airport in 2006. When Hong Kong International Airport opened in 1998, 75 percent of the property was created using land reclamation on the existing islands of Chek Lap Kok and Lam Chau."
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole View Post
12. This airport (NOT in the U.S.) has the first as well as the oldest Duty Free shop in the world. Which airport is it?

Wild guess: Dublin?

You're close, but it was not Dublin. Please guess again!

Ahhh, then let's try Shannon. I'm sure that I read somewhere (or maybe dreamt) that an Irish company created the concept.

Right on, Rosey! Below is a link to a bit more information...

https://www.shannonirishdesignstore....uty-free-shop/
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
14. This International Airport (NOT in the U.S.) was the first to have its terminal building integrated with a railway station where you could board trains direct into the city. And the airport is...?

I'll try London-Gatwick for that. It certainly had a railway station in the 1930s when the terminal was about half a mile south of the current (south terminal) location, so it must have been one of the first.

You are correct, Sir! More information can be found below...

Heritage Locations - South East - West Sussex - Beehive Gatwick Airport

I'm currently at CLE waiting for my flight. It should be on a type that is due to be retired from this airline's fleet this year.

Coincidentally, Cleveland Hopkins was the first international airport in North America to have direct rapid transit rail service to the downtown district of the city it serves.

Airport Service | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Additional commentary from WHBM: This is Gatwick. Not the present terminal or train station, but the circular terminal (still there) about a mile to the south, known as "The Beehive", built in 1935, which linked to the adjacent new railway ststion. It was built on the site of an old horse racing course. The connecting tunnel beneath the tracks is apparently still there but flooded, and the train platforms have been razed. It coincided with the adjacent main railway from London to Brighton changing over to electric trains.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 19 at 8:11 pm
Old May 8, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

8. i have identified seven airports serving significantly large u.s. Cities (not counting regional or general aviation airports) that are named after u.s. Presidents. Can you identify all seven of them? Of course you can! Git after it!

Per wrp96:
lit, jfk, dca, iah, ict, grr

per kochleffel: what's the criterion for "significantly large"? Spi, abraham lincoln capital airport, is a possibility for the seventh.

way to tag team, boys! here's the breakdown:factoring in regional and general aviation airports, there are four more...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 19 at 8:09 pm
Old May 8, 19, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

AIRPORT QUIZ QUESTIONS

1. In 2009 a US Airways Airbus A320 climbing away from New York’s LaGuardia Airport struck a flock of birds, disabling both engines. The aircraft was forced to ditch on the Hudson River and the incident later became the subject of the movie “Sully”. Bird strikes are a problem at airports all over the world. According to statistics released by the FAA, from January 1st, 2000 to November 30, 2008, this U.S. airport had the most reported total bird strikes in the U.S. with 2,090. What airport was it?
A N S W E R E D

4. Denver International Airport’s runway 16R/34L, measuring 16,000ft long, is the longest commercial runway in North America. Without looking them up on the internet, can you identify the second and third longest commercial runways in the U.S.? And if you can't look 'em up without consulting the internet - pffft! Why bother?
A N S W E R E D

6. What was the first airport in the world to operate scheduled international commercial services? Where did the flight go?

7. What was the first airport in the world to install moving sidewalks?
A N S W E R E D

10. This U.S. city’s airport was the first to have an air traffic control tower and a radio controlled air traffic control system. Name it.

11. In 2002, this was the first U.S. airport to federalize its security force after the passage of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. It is effectively known as the birthplace of the TSA. So then, which airport is it?

15. The first jet to serve Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport was a _________________ operated by _________________ flying from Phoenix to _____________________.
A N S W E R E D

16. The first airline to serve Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport (Known as Detroit Wayne Major back in 1954) was _________________ flying a _________________from Detroit to __________________ and __________________.

17. Miami International Airport enjoys service from some of the world’s oldest airlines. Which airline offered the first pure jet service into Miami? What kind of jet was it and where did it fly into MIA from?
A N S W E R E D

19. The first jet to serve Providence’s T. F. Green Airport Airport was a _________________ operated by _________________
A N S W E R E D

20. This airport served as the primary filming location for the film Airport, though the film presented the airport as a fictional Chicago-based Lincoln International Airport. Do any of you have any idea which airport was used as the backdrop in this movie?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 12, 19 at 11:59 am
Old May 8, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
AIRPORT QUIZ QUESTIONS

4. Denver International Airport’s runway 16R/34L, measuring 16,000ft long, is the longest commercial runway in North America. Without looking them up on the internet, can you identify the second and third longest commercial runways in the U.S.? And if you can't look 'em up without consulting the internet - pffft! Why bother?

4. Without looking, I know #2. It's the runway at JFK that passes Terminal 1 and 2. #3 is difficult. I guess ABQ but I know that Las Vegas and Moses Lake are contenders.

7. Debatable. Heathrow claims it was but Dallas Love Field claims it, too. I think DAL is the true answer.
Old May 8, 19, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
15. The first jet to serve Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport was a Boeing 707 operated by American flying from Phoenix to Chicago

Old May 9, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
17. Miami International Airport enjoys service from some of the world’s oldest airlines. Which airline offered the first pure jet service into Miami? What kind of jet was it and where did it fly into MIA from?
I will go with National Airlines with a flight between JFK/Idlewild and Miami's Wilcox Field on a Boing 707.
Old May 9, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
AIRPORT QUIZ QUESTIONS

1. In 2009 a US Airways Airbus A320 climbing away from New York’s LaGuardia Airport struck a flock of birds, disabling both engines. The aircraft was forced to ditch on the Hudson River and the incident later became the subject of the movie “Sully”. Bird strikes are a problem at airports all over the world. According to statistics released by the FAA, from January 1st, 2000 to November 30, 2008, this U.S. airport had the most reported total bird strikes in the U.S. with 2,090. What airport was it?
I had to look this up and discovered it's DEN for that time period. While searching, I also discovered that DEN has the highest number in 2018 but not the highest rate. Therefore, I'd like to see these additional questions answered....

1A. What airport had the highest incident rate (per 10,000 flights) in 2018.
1B. From 1990-2017, what phase of flight has had the highest number of bird strikes?
1C. From 1990-2017, for bird strikes where the bird could be identified which bird species caused the largest number of bird strikes?
Old May 9, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: AA
20. This airport served as the primary filming location for the film Airport, though the film presented the airport as a fictional Chicago-based Lincoln International Airport. Do any of you have any idea which airport was used as the backdrop in this movie?
I think this was MSP.
Old May 9, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post

Without looking, I know #2. It's the runway at JFK that passes Terminal 1 and 2. #3 is difficult. I guess ABQ but I know that Las Vegas and Moses Lake are contenders.

New York JFK's "Bay Runway" (13R-31L - 14572' long)is correct for the 2nd longest.

Albuquerque's 8/26 at 13793 is long, but not as long as Las Vegas' 8L/26R at 14505' long.

Moses Lake is shorter than either of these.

Debatable. Heathrow claims it was but Dallas Love Field claims it, too. I think DAL is the true answer.

DAL jives with my source of information as well. See below...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/from...ving-sidewalks

As always, should any of you have information to the contrary, please do speak up!
Old May 9, 19, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
15. The first jet to serve Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport was a _________________ operated by _________________ flying from Phoenix to _____________________.
The first jet to serve Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport was a Boeing 707 operated by American flying from Phoenix to Chicago

My information source indicates it was a 720. Since AA timetables used to show its 720 flights as 707s, the true answer might be a bit foggy.

http://www.skyharbor.com/About/Infor...s/TheModernEra
Old May 9, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post

I will go with National Airlines with a flight between JFK/Idlewild and Miami's Wilcox Field on a Boeing 707.

Correct! Read all about it right here!

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/10-december-1958/
Old May 9, 19, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post

I had to look this up and discovered it's DEN for that time period. While searching, I also discovered that DEN has the highest number in 2018 but not the highest rate.

With the answer easily accessible on the internet, this one has been reduced to a simple exercise of toss and fetch. Denver it is.

As to your questions below, I'll have a gander at a couple...

1A. What airport had the highest incident rate (per 10,000 flights) in 2018.
1B. From 1990-2017, what phase of flight has had the highest number of bird strikes? Approach for landing
1C. From 1990-2017, for bird strikes where the bird could be identified which bird species caused the largest number of bird strikes? Starlings

Search this Thread