Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 8, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum
18. The first jet to serve Manchester Airport (UK) was a _________________ operated by _________________ flying from Manchester to _____________________.
Hmm... I think this was the Sabena 707 to Idlewild. When I flew to Tokyo from Brussels on a Sabena jet in the 80s the wonderful FA asked me where I was from and when I responded Manchester she told me she used to work on the Manchester-NYC flights as a pup flight attendant. She was very definitely old-school and the friendliest attendant I've ever encountered in Europe, only bettered by the staff on a Continental flight I took several years later.
Old May 8, 19, 7:32 am

12. This airport (NOT in the U.S.) has the first as well as the oldest Duty Free shop in the world. Which airport is it? G'wan now! No internet cheatin'!

Wild guess: Dublin?
Old May 8, 19, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
2. In the early 1970s, this city’s NFL team won the Super Bowl. The charter flight returning the team from its Super Bowl victory had to be diverted from their home city’s main airport to its as yet unfinished new airport due to a runway incursion by fans hoping to greet the team upon its arrival. Identify the NFL team and which airport this charter flight landed at.
2- I suspect this was Kansas City ... Mid-Continent International (MCI) was replacing the old Kansas City Downtown (MKC) airport
Old May 8, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You go, WHBM! Maybe you'd be better off joining Alaska's Mileage Plan and having your BA miles posted to its Mileage Plan account. 5 miles credit on a flight to Glasgow is ridiculous. If that's all they have to offer on a flight of that length, what's the point? Come over to the good side. More than a few Australians have...
Ah, Tier Points are not miles - 1 TP is equivalent to 60-80 American EQMs and there is no EQD requirement. To further confuse you RDM are called Avios. Mind you, I know nothing of the Alaska Mileage Plan but it doesn't get you OneWorld perks.
Old May 8, 19, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
5. The designer of St. Louis’ famous 630’ tall Gateway Arch also designed two prominent terminal buildings at two major U.S. international airports. Identify the designer and the two airport terminal buildings he designed.

Long time lurker here, but I do know this one. The architect is Eero Saarinen and the two terminals are the Main Terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and the TWA Flight Center at John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK).

9. Washington’s Dulles International Airport, which opened in 1962, was the first commercial airport in the U.S. specifically designed for commercial jets. As such, what was the first commercial airliner to land at IAD?

This would be a Lockheed L-188 Super Electra.

Welcome to the participants' side, Bluehen1 ! You're off to a great start with two correct answers. Below is a link to a bit more info on Dulles history.

https://www.flydulles.com/iad/history

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 19 at 9:32 am
Old May 8, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
13. This International Airport (NOT in the U.S.) was the first airport to be built completely on an artificial island. Can you identify it?
Kansai in Osaka Bay (KIX / RJBB)?
Old May 8, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
3. In 1968, Salt Lake City Municipal Airport was renamed Salt Lake City International Airport. Identify the international route and the airline that flew it that precipitated this name change.

Western Airlines to Calgary (YYC), most likely operated with a Boeing 720B

Correct! Unfortunately I don't have access to schedules reflecting this service and to be honest only read about the new SLC-YYC service but it stands to reasonable reason that in 1968 WA would've used a First Class equipped 720B rather than an all-economy class configured 737.

2. In the early 1970s, this city’s NFL team won the Super Bowl. The charter flight returning the team from its Super Bowl victory had to be diverted from their home city’s main airport to its as yet unfinished new airport due to a runway incursion by fans hoping to greet the team upon its arrival. Identify the NFL team and which airport this charter flight landed at.

I suspect this was Kansas City ... Mid-Continent International (MCI) was replacing the old Kansas City Downtown (MKC) airport
...Correct! The Chiefs beat the Vikings in SB4 and the fans got a bit too excited. The Chiefs have yet to return to the big game...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 19 at 9:37 am
Old May 8, 19, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole View Post
18. The first jet to serve Manchester Airport (UK) was a _________________ operated by _________________ flying from Manchester to _____________________.

Hmm... I think this was the Sabena 707 to Idlewild. When I flew to Tokyo from Brussels on a Sabena jet in the 80s the wonderful FA asked me where I was from and when I responded Manchester she told me she used to work on the Manchester-NYC flights as a pup flight attendant. She was very definitely old-school and the friendliest attendant I've ever encountered in Europe, only bettered by the staff on a Continental flight I took several years later.

Correct you are, Mr. R! Sabena's flight came into Manchester from Brussels and continued on to New York. Here's a bit more info...

https://books.google.com/books?id=r0...avelle&f=false

12. This airport (NOT in the U.S.) has the first as well as the oldest Duty Free shop in the world. Which airport is it? G'wan now! No internet cheatin'!

You're close, but it was not Dublin. Please guess again!
Old May 8, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I've got to head off to work, so I'll be back later this afternoon to address more of your responses. Great start, gang!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

You're close, but it was not Dublin. Please guess again!
Ahhh, then let's try Shannon. I'm sure that I read somewhere (or maybe dreamt) that an Irish company created the concept.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rosensfole View Post
Ahhh, then let's try Shannon. I'm sure that I read somewhere (or maybe dreamt) that an Irish company created the concept.
That was going to be my guess. I remember stopping at SNN on my way back from ATH on TW back in 1979. It was my first overseas trip.
Old May 8, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA

14. This International Airport (NOT in the U.S.) was the first to have its terminal building integrated with a railway station where you could board trains direct into the city. And the airport is...?
I'll try London-Gatwick for that.
It certainly had a railway station in the 1930s when the terminal was about half a mile south of the current (south terminal) location, so must have been one of the first.

I'm currently at CLE waiting for my flight. It should be on a type that is due to be retired from this airline's fleet this year.

I couldn't resist the longer trip for one last (?) flight.

I then connect to an Alaska B739 to SEA.
It'll be my first trip on an AS 737NG (Seat 2A has already flown on it - I checked Flightmemory).

KT
Old May 8, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: AA
8. I have identified seven airports serving significantly large U.S. cities (not counting regional or general aviation airports) that are named after U.S. presidents. Can you identify all seven of them? Of course you can! Git after it!
LIT
JFK
DCA
IAH
ICT
GRR

And I'm drawing a blank off the top of my head on the 7th.
Old May 8, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA
Hello from a dreary hotel in central Glasgow, mid-May, where it is currently 6 degrees C (42 F), pouring with wind-drivrn rain, and feels like it's about to snow. Seriously ...
Just to fill in on this, departed GLA yesterday evening, at this time of year evenings are light late, and the cloud had cleared. Operations running north-easterly. As the BA E190 climbed up over the River Clyde the Highlands came into view, and yes, there was significant snow on the higher ones (elevation about 3,000ft). I bet it fell in the previous 24 hours.

Last edited by WHBM; May 10, 19 at 12:36 pm
Old May 8, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: NPR
8. I have identified seven airports serving significantly large U.S. cities
What's the criterion for "significantly large"? SPI, Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport, is a possibility for the seventh.

Search this Thread