Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 3, 19, 1:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Ah, Opelousas. I haven't heard that name since ... must be 1974, going round the USA on the Greyhound bus. I was fascinated by, and remembered, the town's name as we stopped there momentarily - and can even still say it. Extraordinary that for 45 years that has been going round inside my skull, ready to be reactivated.
That's the home of Tony Chachere's, a company that produces Creole seasonings and mixes. They're sold all over the U.S. I put it on just about everything I eat.
Old May 3, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
That's the home of Tony Chachere's, a company that produces Creole seasonings and mixes. They're sold all over the U.S. I put it on just about everything I eat.
Lady K takes Tony Chachere's "Original Creole Seasoning" with us when we travel and have access to a kitchen such as in the condo we stayed in very recently in St. Barth. She even shared some of this seasoning with the French gentleman who owns the condo we were renting near Anse de Cayes. He promptly tasted it and then pronounced it "interesting".....

And BTW, the C-32 transporting VP Pence and his entourage departed LFT just a short time ago.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
yum! a friend who grew up in LFT introduced to Tony痴 ~1985 while we were Boeing co-workers at Edwards AFB, and it has been a staple in our kitchen ever since
strickerj likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
We even have Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning way up here at latitude 65ーN. It goes great with chicken and whiskey. And potatoes and veggies.

On a separate note, I was in Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport last week and paid a quick visit to the small museum therein. Here's an interesting shot of what could have been had North Central been swayed by Fokker's entreaties...

strickerj likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 1:33 am

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
On a separate note, I was in Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport last week and paid a quick visit to the small museum therein. Here's an interesting shot of what could have been had North Central been swayed by Fokker's entreaties...
Awww. General Mitchell got demoted again. I didn't know it until this post. It happened earlier this year. Until recently, it used to be General Mitchell International Airport. When he was living, he was demoted from General to Colonel for overzealously advocating that aircraft carriers be built, not battleships. This was after World War I.
Old May 4, 19, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Awww. General Mitchell got demoted again. I didn't know it until this post. It happened earlier this year. Until recently, it used to be General Mitchell International Airport. When he was living, he was demoted from General to Colonel for overzealously advocating that aircraft carriers be built, not battleships. This was after World War I.
Well... there is a plaque inside the terminal that identifies the airport as being named after GENERAL Billy Mitchell, but on the websites it is indeed referred to as simply Mitchell International Airport.

Meanwhile, here in The Last Frontier, life is proceeding apace with more Re-training. Tomorrow, it's an entire day of Emergency Response Training - i.e. what to do if you've come upon the scene of a major mishap such as a bus having gone off the road with injuries and the various scenarios that might accompany such an incident (The last one was in 1981). The next day will be Mechanical Orientation and Job Specifics followed by another day of National Park Service Resource training and yet another of day focused on Defensive Driving. We won't even get to sit behind the wheel for another six days yet. We're pretty thorough here and every driver regardless of seniority (I've 27 years) has to complete the yearly re-certification. Point being it'll be about two more weeks before I'll even find time to check out one of my old OAGs to research a few more questions. I trust the rest of youse can and will entertain not only us but all of the lurkers with questions, remembrances and commentary from your past experiences. Go get 'em, boys!

I leave you with a nice picture taken of my road home. As you might imagine, having driven this road as often as I have - I can't imagine ever leaving here for more populated areas... This is home - forever and ever ...
jlemon, wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 19 at 3:09 am
Old May 4, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
It has been awhile since I experienced this type of flight attendant....and I have not encountered her type since that time.

I believe it was back in the early 1990's. I was on board a Delta flight in first class from Anchorage to Salt Lake City operated with a 757. This route had been previously flown by Western, of course, with B727-200 and DC-10 equipment. A Lady of a Certain Age made the welcome on board announcement and I was struck by her elegance and professional nature. Then came breakfast and her extremely gracious service. I felt this must have been what cabin service was like back in the Good Olde Days of Air Travel. We got to talking later in the flight and it turned out she had begun her career with Western before they had acquired Pacific Northern, working on board such aircraft as the DC-6B and later the Electra, 707 and 720B.

I recently mentioned that we received excellent service on board an American B777-200 this past Wednesday from MIA to DFW.....but it did not approach the very high level of service I experienced from the Lady of a Certain Age who began her career all those years ago with Western.
By coincidence, Bette Nash, AA's senior flight attendant, was featured in this latest post from The Points Guy
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#in...NGBrvXpxSNpxLg
At age 83, she's still working -- and here I was complaining about my reduced flying -- I often joke that I was taught to respect my seniors, but it's getting harder to find any -- well, she gets my respect -- I'm only 82. She certainly reminds one of the Good Olde Days.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 4, 19, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
By coincidence, Bette Nash, AA's senior flight attendant, was featured in this latest post from The Points Guy
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#in...NGBrvXpxSNpxLg
At age 83, she's still working
Wow! 83! Last week I flew MKE-SEA with Alaska's number 3, 7, 39 and 71 flight attendants. Carole - number 3 - was 72 years old and had been working for Alaska since back in the Charlie Willis/Convair 880 days. The SEA-MKE-SEA flights are a popular bid for the senior FAs. They depart SEA at noon and are back home by 930.
Old May 4, 19, 8:37 pm

Well... there is a plaque inside the terminal that identifies the airport as being named after GENERAL Billy Mitchell, but on the websites it is indeed referred to as simply Mitchell International Airport.
Happened this February...

https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/...19-name-change
Milwaukee airport quietly changes its name

Posted: 6:40 AM, Feb 05, 2019Updated: 4:42 AM, Feb 05, 2019
By: Rebecca Klopf

Milwaukee airport quietly changes its name
WISCONSIN — Milwaukee has undergone another name change to one of its venues. General Mitchell International Airport is now Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport.The airport spokesperson Harold Mester calls it a rebranding. He said most major airports across the country have the name of the major city it is in or near in it. But Milwaukee does not and it confuses some out-of-state travelers.

----
Not true. Passengers are not so dumb. Example:
John F. Kennedy (or JFK) International Airport
LaGuardia Airport
Heathrow Airport
Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport (or Aeropuerto Internacional Arturo Merino Benitz), which is Santiago, Chile

In the US, there is overuse of the word "international airport". I like the old name, Dallas Fort Worth Regional Airport, as it is understated but "international" is well deserved. Fort Wayne International Airport is silly to say. They should have kept it as Baer Field or even Fort Wayne Airport is fine. Heathrow Airport doesn't have to use the word "international". Heathrow is fine. Nobody thinks it's an aerodrome with a grass landing strip.

I think "international" is particularly appropriate when a city or region has two sizable airports. O'Hare International would be fine if the other airport were Midway Airport. Or if they are worried that people won't know it's Chicago and confuse it with Chino, California, then Chicago O'Hare International and Chicago Midway. Los Angeles International, Long Beach, Hollywood Burbank, and John Wayne or Orange County are also an ok use of "international" with only one airport. OK, Ontario International is also "international" but it's a little ways east. If they add a name to it, they should drop the "international".

A few US airports have not jumped on the bandwagen, luckily. It's still Shreveport Regional Airport (Shreveport, Louisiana) and Clinton National Airport, formerly Little Rock National Airport. I think the names are a throwback to DFW Regional and Washington National, respectively.

A final mention of a pet peeve, I don't like airports with multiple names because they are too long. Washington Reagan National Airport is named after George Washington and Ronald Reagan, unless Washington is just the city name. They shouldn't have changed it. Somewhat nearby is Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall International Airport, what a mouthful. Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, is too long but I understand the controversy. So maybe it should be Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. It is huge enough that people know it has international flights.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 4, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: NPR
For an outlier from the international bandwagon, and also from adding the city name, there's OKC: Will Rogers World Airport. It has a customs station, but no scheduled international flights.
Old May 4, 19, 10:51 pm

Point being it'll be about two more weeks before I'll even find time to check out one of my old OAGs to research a few more questions. I trust the rest of youse can and will entertain not only us but all of the lurkers with questions, remembrances and commentary from your past experiences. Go get 'em, boys!
In that case,
POP QUIZ - ONE QUESTION

Looking at my email, I see the oldest one related to an airline is from 1998. It's not a very good question, sorry, but fill in the blanks for me, airline and city. The date is in October, 1998.

Louisville (SDF) to San Francisco (SFO) One stop. Name the airline, connecting airport, and aircraft.. Here's a hint.

depart 6:15 pm, arrive 7:14 ___________
depart 8:15 pm, arrive 10:26 pm SFO

Now for the story. It is possibly my first trip booked online.

Read the email.....
If you have requested ______ E-Ticket, your tickets will beheld in an electronic file in our reservation system. For yourconvenience, a Customer Itinerary Receipt will automaticallybe mailed to your billing address and must be presented to askycap when using Curbside Luggage Check. You may completeairport check-in and receive your E-Ticket Boarding Pass atthe ticket counter (luggage check available), departure gate,or ________ (members only).

If you have requested a paper ticket, you will receive yourtravel documents and official receipt by U. S. mail or overnightservice depending on your departure date.

Paper ticket???? I may not have used a paper ticket since 2006 and that was a rarity even then. However, in 1998, there were paper tickets. Even a few with the red carbon paper.

If you try to answer the question, I realize that you don't have the same sentimental experience of possibly my first online ticket purchase. Maybe you'll look at it as a guess to what the connection airport is using your proprietary thought process?

Last edited by Toshbaf; May 4, 19 at 10:58 pm
Old May 5, 19, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
... October, 1998.

Louisville (SDF) to San Francisco (SFO) One stop. Name the airline, connecting airport, and aircraft.. Here's a hint.

depart 6:15 pm, arrive 7:14 ___________
depart 8:15 pm, arrive 10:26 pm
the block time on the first leg would seem to rule out connecting points in the Central time zone ... I値l start the bidding with Northwest over Detroit, a Mesaba ARJ-85 connecting to a mainline 757-300
Old May 5, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

the block time on the first leg would seem to rule out connecting points in the Central time zone ... I値l start the bidding with Northwest over Detroit, a Mesaba ARJ-85 connecting to a mainline 757-300
Certainly not ORD or STL with those times, but it could be a central time city a bit further away, like DFW or IAH. I seem to recall Continental was an early adopter of e-tickets, so I値l suggest them via IAH, with 727s operating both flights.
Old May 5, 19, 2:05 pm

Certainly not ORD or STL with those times, but it could be a central time city a bit further away, like DFW or IAH. I seem to recall Continental was an early adopter of e-tickets, so I値l suggest them via IAH, with 727s operating both flights.
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

Very logic answers, jrl767 and strickerj! However, not quite.

Jrl767 is correct with the second flight being Northwest (mainline).

A little insignificant hint. This wasn't an interline itinerary, for example, not a United flight connecting with American. In the past 10 years, I only remember one domestic flight that I did that, Delta connecting with Alaska. International journeys are a different story, such as Air Canada connecting with Lufthansa.

As far as the Boeing 757-300, I believe that wasn't certificated by the FAA until 1999. Only 55 were manufactured. Though not much different from the 757-200 other than the length and a tailskid that retracts, I see it as a badge of honor that I flew aboard it at least once.

Try again!
Old May 5, 19, 3:56 pm

Very logic answers, jrl767 and strickerj! However, not quite.

Jrl767 is correct with the second flight being Northwest (mainline).

A little insignificant hint. This wasn't an interline itinerary, for example, not a United flight connecting with American. In the past 10 years, I only remember one domestic flight that I did that, Delta connecting with Alaska. International journeys are a different story, such as Air Canada connecting with Lufthansa.

As far as the Boeing 757-300, I believe that wasn't certificated by the FAA until 1999. Only 55 were manufactured. Though not much different from the 757-200 other than the length and a tailskid that retracts, I see it as a badge of honor that I flew aboard it at least once.

Try again!
NW via MSP then? No idea about aircraft types, but I think you are correct about the 753痴 introduction in 1999. Maybe a DC-9-30 and then a 757?

I managed to get a trip with a couple 757-300s as well - DTW-SEA and then SEA-MSP a few days later in December 2004. I got a couple DC-9 flights on that trip too - both a -30 and -50 series, though I never got to fly on the -10.

Search this Thread