Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It is spring 1991, specifically May 1991. You're traveling with a picky companion. Only non-stops. From Miami (MIA only, not FLL), how can you get to London? Airline(s) and aircraft.

Depending upon when in 1991, we might be looking at Eastern Airlines operating a silver DC-10-30
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It is spring 1991, specifically May 1991. You're traveling with a picky companion. Only non-stops. From Miami (MIA only, not FLL), how can you get to London? Airline(s) and aircraft.

Depending upon when in 1991, we might be looking at Eastern Airlines operating a silver DC-10-30
By May, Eastern was dead. I believe Eastern flew to London only around 1985 and 1986 or so. But good guess. I am thinking of a U.S. carrier.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sorry to break convention, but this is two guesses in one (again) :/

I’m not exactly sure when Delta picked up Pan Am’s TATL routes, but it was probably around this time ... PA as I recall served the route with a TriStar 500 (L15), and I think DL put the MD-11 on shortly after the takeover
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
sorry to break convention, but this is two guesses in one (again) :/

I’m not exactly sure when Delta picked up Pan Am’s TATL routes, but it was probably around this time ... PA as I recall served the route with a TriStar 500 (L15), and I think DL put the MD-11 on shortly after the takeover
Very logical but incorrect!

Pan Am did fly the route but not by May 1991. They stopped in March of that year.
Delta is not the answer to this question.
Try again!

To summarize from previous answers:
British Airways - LHR - correct
Virgin Atlantic - LGW - correct
Pan Am - not correct
Delta - not correct
Tower Air - not correct

Hint: the answer I'm look for is an airline that flew between Miami International and Heathrow.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Pop quiz

Awaiting the next set of questions, here's a pop quiz.

Disclaimer: I may not have all the answers but I am thinking of one answer.
Hint: the answer I'm look for is an airline that flew between Miami International and Heathrow.
I will go with United Airlines on a version of the 747, most likely the -200 after inheriting the route from Pan Am. The route was discontinued on May 30th
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I will go with United Airlines on a version of the 747, most likely the -200 after inheriting the route from Pan Am. The route was discontinued on May 30th
Correct!!!

Isn't that weird. Not Delta, who bought most of Pan Am's European routes (United bought LHR to LAX/SFO/SEA/JFK/IAD)
Not American, who has a hub in MIA. United was awarded the route for about 2 months and wanted to operate the route. They knew it was only temporary. They must have known that it would be harder to fill seats because, without the internet, when people eventually would learn of United flying MIA-LHR, United would have to stop.

United Airlines, 747, is the answer.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey Toshbaf - you're pretty darned good at this quiz thing. You proffer good questions and have a good knowledge of airlines, airliners and their routes. Here's hoping we'll see a few more questions from you - at your leisure, of course!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the kind comments, Seat 2A. I find it hard to make up questions because I don't have old OAG's. I only have a few old paper timetables.

I do remember picking up a few timetables most of the time I was at airports. I didn't pick all of them, just selected airlines. NW was thin and abbreviated by airport code. DL was fat and heavy. LH was only at a few airports but nicely designed. TW wasn't too thick because there weren't that many routes, mainly STL and some JFK.

At one time when I was finishing school, I was traveling a lot for job interviews. I started to subscribe to the pocket OAG but due to frequent moving, I never saved them. I might have subscribed for 6 months. Do they even print them now? If not, I might have subscribed to one of their later years. A few years later around 2000, I downloaded the Continental app to my Palm Pilot. There wasn't an internet connection. I wonder how I did it? Was it by the red laser beam? Or maybe there was a cord to one's computer?
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Apr 29, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
here are some online resources for Toshbaf and any others who want to generate questions for this most entertaining thread

www.timetableimages.com
www.departedflights.com
upcoming airline collectibles shows (good for acquiring old OAGs and timetables)

strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA
I must get around to sorting out responses to my questions from a while ago - all correct I recall.

I'm here in a Dublin hotel having rolled effortlessly across the Irish Sea today from London City in a BA Embraer. No novelty in that. But this evening I received an SMS text message from BA about my return flight tomorrow. It says "BA4471 on 01/05/19 will be operated by Jota Aviation on an alternative aircraft due to operational reasons. We apologise for any inconvenience".

Inconvenience ???? Jota operate a BAe146/RJ on substitute flights for BA out of London City from time to time. A 146 !!! . Whatever makes them think it's any inconvenience ?

https://previews.123rf.com/images/go...way-31-on-.jpg
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
I must get around to sorting out responses to my questions from a while ago - all correct I recall.

I'm here in a Dublin hotel having rolled effortlessly across the Irish Sea today from London City in a BA Embraer. No novelty in that. But this evening I received an SMS text message from BA about my return flight tomorrow. It says "BA4471 on 01/05/19 will be operated by Jota Aviation on an alternative aircraft due to operational reasons. We apologise for any inconvenience".

Inconvenience ???? Jota operate a BAe146/RJ on substitute flights for BA out of London City from time to time. A 146 !!! . Whatever makes them think it's any inconvenience ?

G-JOTR by the look of it.
I squandered a few Avios a year or so back for a trip LCY-GLA in it.

Enjoy the "Avros" while you can.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM

Enjoy the experience!

If you have spare time and wish to take many pictures, how about a picture of the overhead compartments where the wing is located. They are smaller. I never got a chance to take a photo of it.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, we started our trip home yesterday morning at St. Barthelemy in the Caribbean (SBH, a.k.a. St. Barth or St. Bart's)....and it took two days to get home. We just walked in the door about an hour ago. Months ago when I first booked this trip for Lady K and yours truly using AAdvantage miles, we had an excellent schedule. However, American then decided to no longer RON an aircraft at St. Maarten (SXM) and that knocked our little schedule galley west. So we ended up having to spend the night in Charlotte on the way down and then in Miami last night.

I won't get into our adventures with American from CLT to SXM and then with Winair from SXM to Saba (SAB) about a week and a half ago....suffice to say it was an exciting travel experience and we eventually arrived safely at our destinations. At a future time, I will attempt to post some photos along with a narrative concerning our Winair experience on board an aging but venerable DHC-6 Twin Otter from SXM to SAB via an unplanned stop at SBH. Let's just say the 1,200 foot airstrip at Saba is a daytime only affair which promptly closes at sunset every day and we just barely made it in there before the sun slipped under the horizon during the late afternoon on Easter Sunday.

Yesterday was less exciting as we departed St. Bart's on an earlier Winair Twin Otter flight than originally planned and were thus then able to enjoy a leisurely lunch at the Sunset Beach Bar & Grill located immediately adjacent to the western end of the runway at St. Maarten. The terminal at SXM, by the way, is still undergoing reconstruction following heavy damage sustained during the terrible hurricane season awhile back in the Caribbean. None of the jetways are functioning and most passengers are transported by bus from and to aircraft. It's going to be awhile before the SXM terminal is back to what passes for normal in St. Maarten. We then flew in first class to Miami on board an American B737-800 and spent the night at the Pullman Hotel near the airport which is a very nice establishment. However, it took over two hours to clear customs at MIA last night following our arrival from SXM and it was a real zoo. CBP was clearly understaffed last night at MIA what with the large number of arriving international flights.

Happily, today was quite a bit better. We flew from MIA to DFW in first class on board an American B777-200ER (with this particular airplane featuring all forward facing Flagship Business Class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration which are sold as first class on a domestic routes, of course) and the breakfast service was very nice. The aircraft interior was in excellent condition and the flight attendants were very professional, courteous and just plain fun to interact with. They even gave us a bottle of wine as a parting gift. We then connected to an American Eagle ERJ-145 for an on time departure from DFW and an early arrival into LFT.

So....as Seat 2A recently mentioned, it will probably be sometime this June when I will have time to post another round of OTAQ&D quiz items as well as responding to answers. We have more travel coming up in the near term.....but the big reason is that in about a week and a half, Lady K and yours truly shall finally tie the knot and get married.
Seat 2A, wrp96, MADPhil and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jlemon; May 1, 2019 at 3:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 2, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
in about a week and a half, Lady K and yours truly shall finally tie the knot and get married
HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2, 2019, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

If you have spare time and wish to take many pictures, how about a picture of the overhead compartments where the wing is located. They are smaller. I never got a chance to take a photo of it.
Your wish is my command.

There's certainly no space in there for a rollaboard. The crew were using them for the buffet trays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.