Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
25. Back in the summer of 1972, travelers desiring to leave Jolly Olde England for the sun kissed beaches of Waikiki on Hawaii’s island of Oahu had a choice of three airlines – each of them operating a different type of equipment – at least out of London. One operated the same equipment all the way through to HNL while the other two had a change of equipment at an intermediate stop. Can you identify each of the three airlines, their routing and the equipment type(s) each operated?),

Already approved answer
1. BOAC, LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL and beyond, VC-10
Correct!
2. Qantas, LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL and beyond. LHR-SFO 707, SFO - HNL 747 Correct!
additional answer

3. Japan Air Lines LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL - HND DC-8, except SFO - HNL - HND 747
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
25. Back in the summer of 1972, travelers desiring to leave Jolly Olde England for the sun kissed beaches of Waikiki on Hawaii’s island of Oahu had a choice of three airlines – each of them operating a different type of equipment – at least out of London. One operated the same equipment all the way through to HNL while the other two had a change of equipment at an intermediate stop. Can you identify each of the three airlines, their routing and the equipment type(s) each operated?),

Already approved answer
1. BOAC, LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL and beyond, VC-10
Correct!
2. Qantas, LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL and beyond. LHR-SFO 707, SFO - HNL 747 Correct!
3. Japan Air Lines LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL - HND DC-8, except SFO - HNL - HND 747 Correct!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. Working solely from schedules published in a 1970 North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route
  5. Trans Canada, Vanguard, Montreal (YUL) - Chicago (ORD) Incorrect

I'd say the aircraft for #5 is a Comet operated by Mexicana MEX - LAX. That was true until and including 1970 but I'm not sure if long enough for the question.

Mexicana and the Comet are correct. However, we're looking for a different route.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The following quiz items have a time line of the autumn of 1970

3. An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)

5. After a week of sailing the Caribbean, it’s time to dock in Antigua and catch a flight home to Miami. Rather amazingly, you’ve got a choice of three morning departures to choose from – each of them operated by a different airline operating a different type of equipment. You decide to go with the only airline that operates the all-economy class configured aircraft. Two stops will be made in route. You know the drill by now. Airline. Equipment. Routing. Good luck, Mon!
A N S W E R E D

6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.
Mohawk BAC-111 Need correct routing

12. You’re all set to fly to from Chicago to Billings, Montana for the weekend. Unfortunately, a couple of things have come up at the office that mean you’ll have to switch from your 100p nonstop to something a bit later. A call to your travel agent reveals that unfortunately, no seats are available in any class to Billings until early this evening. But wait! If you can get over to Chicago’s lightly used Midway Airport, there’s a two stop flight departing at 220pm. It’s even got some larger seats up in the front of the aircraft. Book it, Danno! Identify the usual triumvirate, including the two stops enroute.
It was not a Northwest Electra

14. Working solely from schedules published in the North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
See latest responses below

15. “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.
We know it's Delta. Now we need the routing...

The following quiz items have a time line of the first quarter of 1973

19. You do love a good milk-run! Imagine then your surprise and delight to have booked a seat aboard this 4-stop gem between St. Louis and Memphis. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

21. The airline you usually fly between Detroit and New Orleans is on strike. So it is that you find yourself booked on a two-stop late afternoon departure. This airline utilizes an aircraft that until recently was not operated by your usual airline on the DTW-MSY route. As an added bonus, two dinners and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.

The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA or VIASA... But it is from a Latin American country

32. I’ve been able to find only one airline in the world that in 1973 operated three different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners at the same time. (I’m not including variants such as a 727-100 vs a 727-200. We’re looking at only the base models) Each aircraft type is manufactured by a different company. Identify the airline and the three aircraft types. Additionally, if you should think of any other airlines operating 3 or more 4-engine aircraft at the same time during 1972, I would be happy to verify it.
Ongoing. MEA, American, Varig so far
BONUS QUESTION: Name an airline that operated not three but four different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners - but NOT all at the same time.
BOAC, MEA and American have been identified so far. There's at least one more...

33. Identify the only non-Pratt & Whitney powered twin jet (operating scheduled flights) that you’ll see in Bangkok in the late summer of 1972. Airline and aircraft type, please.

WHBM BONUS QUESTION: We're at the airport waiting to leave Casablanca, still in 1972. Pan Am used the Rabat airport about 40 miles out, rather than close-in CMN, for its long runway. But we notice on the board that Casablanca also has a NONSTOP flight to another Caribbean island. What airline and aircraft, and where is it going ?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:08 pm
Suspended

3. Japan Air Lines LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL - HND DC-8, except SFO - HNL - HND 747 Correct!

Hey hey, I was just making it up. Ok, I knew JL flew DC-8's and did have some crazy (not so crazy back then) routes across the US.

19. You do love a good milk-run! Imagine then your surprise and delight to have booked a seat aboard this 4-stop gem between St. Louis and Memphis. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four enroute stops.
This sounds like such a crazy route with 4 stops... I don't even know airport codes...

STL - Cape Girardeau - Paducah - Clarksville, TN - Jackson, TN - MEM
Ozark
DC-9
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
14- I’m refraining from providing additional possibilities, but there’s at least one for each of these
3- BA VC-10 Kingston (KIN) - JFK
4- LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - MIA
5- MX CM4 Guadalajara (GDL) - LAX
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
14- I’m refraining from providing additional possibilities, but there’s at least one for each of these
3- BA VC-10 Kingston (KIN) - JFK
4- LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - MIA
5- MX CM4 Guadalajara (GDL) - LAX
Nice answers but 5 looks suspect. The Comet was on its way out so LAX seems too big a market for the aircraft. San Antonio might be more likely.

Looking back, there was so much variety in those days. 707, One Eleven, Caravelle, 727, on the horizon the L1011, Concorde, 747, etc. In contrast, today it seems to be just the 737 and A320. If traveling overseas, add the 777, 787, A330. Much less variety.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
And this may well have been Aeroflot operating an Ilyushin Il-62 with the stop in Morocco being made in between Moscow and Havana.
Indeed it was. In that year the only scheduled Aeroflot flights to Havana were ruunning 3 times a week through Casablanca/Rabat. It's a bit of a long way round, over 1,000 miles more than their traditional routing through Shannon. It's actually further from Havana to Casablanca than it is to Shannon.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...06/su72-01.jpg
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Indeed it was. In that year the only scheduled Aeroflot flights to Havana were ruunning 3 times a week through Casablanca/Rabat. It's a bit of a long way round, over 1,000 miles more than their traditional routing through Shannon. It's actually further from Havana to Casablanca than it is to Shannon.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...06/su72-01.jpg
Not exactly a great circle routing. And it is a bit surprising that Aeroflot would operate their service to Cuba via Morocco rather than Ireland. Didn't SU invest in a fuel system at the Shannon Airport or am I not remembering that bit correctly?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Not exactly a great circle routing. And it is a bit surprising that Aeroflot would operate their service to Cuba via Morocco rather than Ireland. Didn't SU invest in a fuel system at the Shannon Airport or am I not remembering that bit correctly?
The Soviet tank farm at Shannon opened in 1978, the supply ships coming round from the Black Sea..Here's the jetty in the River Shannon, and you can follow the overland discharge pipe north-westwards to the tank farm. All the Shannon jet fuel now comes this way, the Russian fuel undercutting others just sufficiently to have made them leave the market. Ireland does not have its own jet fuel refinery.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...3!4d-8.9146911

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 7, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This sounds like such a crazy route with 4 stops... I don't even know airport codes...

STL - Cape Girardeau - Paducah - Clarksville, TN - Jackson, TN - MEM
Ozark DC-9

Way to step up to the plate and take a mighty swing at this one, T ^. Unfortunately, you missed on all counts though. The airline was not Ozark, nor was the aircraft a DC-9 and the flight did not stop at any of the stops you proffered. That said, when at first you don't succeed... I look forward to your next effort.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
14. Working solely from schedules published in a 1970 North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route
  5. Mexicana, Comet 4, Mexico City (MEX) - Los Angeles (LAX) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
3- BA VC-10 Kingston (KIN) - JFK Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route (but you're in the right neighborhood)
4- LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - MIA Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route (The flight did come into Miami)
5- MX CM4 Guadalajara (GDL) - LAX Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route (The flight came into the U.S. from Guadalajara)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re. Question 14 in the post above:

Per Toshbaf: Nice answers but no. 5 looks suspect. The Comet was on its way out so LAX seems too big a market for the aircraft. San Antonio might be more likely.

San Antonio is correct! Aqui esta el horario:

Mexicana MX 902 Guadalajara (GDL) 105p-250p L San Antonio (SAT) DH-106 Comet 4 Daily

Looking back, there was so much variety in those days. 707, One Eleven, Caravelle, 727, on the horizon the L1011, Concorde, 747, etc. In contrast, today it seems to be just the 737 and A320. If traveling overseas, add the 777, 787, A330. Much less variety.

So true ^. Those of us who were around back in the 60s and 70s were treated to a veritable smorgasbord of airlines, aircraft and distinctive services. I remember at one point Delta was operating the DC-8-50, DC-8-61, DC-9-10, DC-9-30, DC-10-10, Convair 880, Lockheed L-1011, Boeing 727-100, 727-200, Boeing 747 and the Fairchild Hiller FH-227 - all at the same time. While at a recent airline collectibles show, I came across a nice collection of Southern Airways shot glasses. The airline was famous for its promotional shot glasses. At one point, SO released a new shot glass design every year. I also noted a nice variety of TWA First Class menus featuring the distinctive artwork of David Klein and Bob Peak. Things like this made flying so much nicer back in the day. I logged my 1000th flight in 1981, so I was fortunate to have logged a lot of great flights aboard great airlines and aircraft back in the seventies.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended

More likely than not, I won't be able to answer this but another try...

Delta Air Lines, 737, STL - DFW - SHV - MLU - JAN - MEM
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.
6. Wild guess time on a cloudy and very windy Sunday afternoon as thunderstorms approach the LFT area from the west.....

Mohawk operating a BAC One-Eleven with stops in Buffalo and Syracuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.