Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jlemon
And here we go one more time! As always, please limit your guesses to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

Let's return to the days of aviation yore and the 1960's........

19. Also in 1968, National Airlines entered into a joint use agreement involving two Boeing 727-100QC aircraft owned by an air cargo airline. National operated these 727s in full passenger configuration in the daytime with the air cargo carrier then using the aircraft on weeknights for all cargo flights. The names of both air carriers appeared on these aircraft. Name the air cargo airline.
Oh my, we can answer 3 questions. Here's my third and perhaps last one of the series for I can't answer the rest.

Airlift International, an obscure Miami cargo airline that sort of had a hub there connecting Puerto Rico with JFK, ORD, and maybe DTW or Willow Run.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf

13. BAC One Eleven with the tail livery of "Continental Golden Jet". It was a weird and intentional copy of Continental Airlines! Somewhat similar to United Airlines copying Continental but, in that case, was due to a takeover of the company.

27. First flight of the Concorde. I wouldn't have known this until I saw some stories of the Concorde being 50 years old this month. Unfortunately, unlike the 747's 50th anniversary, the 50 year anniversary is not as happy as the plane is no longer flying.
13. & 27. Both correct!

13. I have my suspicions concerning the resemblance of the Channel Airways livery to an older version of Continental's at the time and think it just might have had something to do with Channel Airways possibly acquiring Vickers Viscount 812 aircraft formerly operated by Continental - but I'm not completely sure about this, although the captions on the photos appear to confirm my suspicions. Notice the resemblance in the respective liveries:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Chan...2kAJHtAYS4e5O0

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Cont...2kAJHtAYS4e5OC

Perhaps Channel Airways decided to simply keep the same basic CO livery.....

27. Concorde 001 was the first French-built Concorde and made its first test flight from Toulouse on March 2, 1969 just over 50 years ago. And I believe the first UK-built aircraft, being Concorde 002, made its first test flight on April 9, 1969.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:56 pm Reason: fixed the photo links
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Oh my, we can answer 3 questions. Here's my third and perhaps last one of the series for I can't answer the rest.

Airlift International, an obscure Miami cargo airline that sort of had a hub there connecting Puerto Rico with JFK, ORD, and maybe DTW or Willow Run.
19. Correct! Here's a photo of one of the Boeing 727-100QC aircraft jointly operated by Airlift International and National Airlines .... although I have no idea what specific cargo routes were flown by Airlift with the 727.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Airl...A3egEYuIDlGIU2

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ha; I had totally forgotten that, but I now recall seeing that jet at DCA on one of my plane-spotting afternoon visits (for some obscure reason, I’m visualizing N725AL ... perhaps I took a photo of it ...)

EDIT - ha! I was right ... thanks to jlemon for the pic

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for this new set of questions, JL! ^ I'll have a go at a couple...

5. It's still 1964 and you are preparing to fly from Los Angeles nonstop to Chicago O'Hare on Continental. Alas, first class is sold out on the flight that fits your schedule....but the reservation agent then tells you the Boeing 707 you'll be flying on board offers three classes of service, so you won't have to travel in Economy class. What is the name of the class of service you will be in on this CO flight, what is the seating configuration in terms of the number of seats across in each row, and how many seats are there in this cabin?

In the late 1960s, Continental offered First, Coach and Economy classes on its Boeing jetliners - including the new 727-200s. Seating in coach was 2-3, while Economy went 3-3 and did not include a meal. I believe the CAB - at the behest of other airlines - made CO's Y class fares a bit higher than the competition's due to the 2-3 seating arrangement.

25. Now it's summertime in New England and you are in Hyannis where you've been sailing with friends. You need to briefly visit the office in New York City before you return to Hyannis for more sailing. You've found a morning flight from Hyannis down to NYC which operates daily and makes one stop en route. What airline will you be flying with, where will you stop, what airport will you arrive into in New York and what kind of aircraft will you be traveling on?

This sure sounds like Northeast, flying aboard a new DC-9-30 "Yellowbird" with a stop at Boston Logan
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for this new set of questions, JL! ^ I'll have a go at a couple...

5. It's still 1964 and you are preparing to fly from Los Angeles nonstop to Chicago O'Hare on Continental. Alas, first class is sold out on the flight that fits your schedule....but the reservation agent then tells you the Boeing 707 you'll be flying on board offers three classes of service, so you won't have to travel in Economy class. What is the name of the class of service you will be in on this CO flight, what is the seating configuration in terms of the number of seats across in each row, and how many seats are there in this cabin?

In the late 1960s, Continental offered First, Coach and Economy classes on its Boeing jetliners - including the new 727-200s. Seating in coach was 2-3, while Economy went 3-3 and did not include a meal. I believe the CAB - at the behest of other airlines - made CO's Y class fares a bit higher than the competition's due to the 2-3 seating arrangement.

25. Now it's summertime in New England and you are in Hyannis where you've been sailing with friends. You need to briefly visit the office in New York City before you return to Hyannis for more sailing. You've found a morning flight from Hyannis down to NYC which operates daily and makes one stop en route. What airline will you be flying with, where will you stop, what airport will you arrive into in New York and what kind of aircraft will you be traveling on?

This sure sounds like Northeast, flying aboard a new DC-9-30 "Yellowbird" with a stop at Boston Logan
5. The seat layout was indeed 2-3 in this class of service....however, we are still looking for the specific name used by Continental for this service as well as the total number of seats in this cabin.

25. Yep, it was Northeast operating a D9S....however, the stop was not made at Boston and we are still looking for the New York City airport this flight arrived into.

Please guess again,sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
25- please allow me an attempt to tap this one in: New Bedford / Fall River (EWB)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
25- please allow me an attempt to tap this one in: New Bedford / Fall River (EWB)
25. Nope!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA
1. It's 1961 and you are in Port au Prince, Haiti in the Caribbean. You need to travel to Cayenne, French Guiana in South America. You're pleased to find there is one direct flight a week from Port au Prince to Cayenne which coincides with your schedule. You'll depart PAP at 9:10 am and then arrive into CAY at 9:20 pm with five stops being made en route, Identify the airline, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they will be made.
Air France DC-4. Oh gosh, have to have a go at the stops as well. Pointe a Pitre and Ft de France for certain. Three more. San Juan, probably St Maarten, last guess Port of Spain. So, PAP-SJU-SXM-PTP-FDF-POS-CAY. Did it start at Miami ? It would have to be away from there at 6am.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jrl767
Martha's Vineyard then Idlewild (now JFK)

Just guessing and I'm not guessing ATL as the stop even though so many times in modern times, it's true.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Air France DC-4. Oh gosh, have to have a go at the stops as well. Pointe a Pitre and Ft de France for certain. Three more. San Juan, probably St Maarten, last guess Port of Spain. So, PAP-SJU-SXM-PTP-FDF-POS-CAY. Did it start at Miami ? It would have to be away from there at 6am.
1. The flight in question indeed originated in Miami (MIA) and departed from there at 6:00 am. And Air France is an excellent guess as well!

However, the airline in question wasn't AF nor was the aircraft a DC-4 and the flight did not stop at SJU, SXM, PTP or FDF. But it did stop at Port of Spain, although POS wasn't the last stop. Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Martha's Vineyard then Idlewild (now JFK)

Just guessing and I'm not guessing ATL as the stop even though so many times in modern times, it's true.
25. This flight did not stop in Martha's Vineyard....but it did arrive into New York JFK Airport (which was previously known as Idlewild (IDL), of course, until it was renamed in 1963).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Per Seat 2A: In the late 1960s, Continental offered First, Coach and Economy classes on its Boeing jetliners - including the new 727-200s. Seating in coach was 2-3, while Economy went 3-3 and did not include a meal. I believe the CAB - at the behest of other airlines - made CO's Y class fares a bit higher than the competition's due to the 2-3 seating arrangement.

Per jlemon: The seat layout was indeed 2-3 in this class of service....however, we are still looking for the specific name used by Continental for this service as well as the total number of seats in this cabin.

Seat 2A: I suppose it would help if I actually read the question all the way through... Uh... well, I've heard of Club Coach with CO, but I thought it was only with the airline's DC-7 flights. But what the heck, maybe it applied to the Boeings as well. So, Club Coach it is. As for how many seats, I haven't a clue. First Class cabins were a lot larger back then, so while I'm tempted to say ten rows at 50 seats, let's go with... 8 rows totaling 40 seats.

Per Seat 2A: This sure sounds like Northeast, flying aboard a new DC-9-30 "Yellowbird" with a stop at Boston Logan

Per jlemon: Yep, it was Northeast operating a D9S....however, the stop was not made at Boston and we are still looking for the New York City airport this flight arrived into.

Per Seat 2A: Alright then - Nantucket and JFK.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WHBM
1. The flight in question indeed originated in Miami (MIA) and departed from there at 6:00 am. And Air France is an excellent guess as well!

However, the airline in question wasn't AF nor was the aircraft a DC-4 and the flight did not stop at SJU, SXM, PTP or FDF. But it did stop at Port of Spain, although POS wasn't the last stop. Please guess again, sir!
OK, KLM Convair 340, doing Miami-Port au Prince-Aruba-Curacao-Port of Spain-Georgetown (British Guyana)-Paramaribo (Dutch Guyana)-Cayenne (French Guyana).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A has responded once again to the above quiz items.....

5. The name of the service featuring 2-3 across seating was Club Coach and so he is correct! However, the total number of seats in Club Coach on board the Continental 707 aircraft wasn't 40....it was actually less. Here's a hint: there were twelve seats in First class (as well as a semicircular First class lounge with six seats which was located at front of the F cabin) and 68 seats in Economy class. So we are still looking for the total number of Club Coach seats.

BTW, Continental was operating five daily round trip flights at this time between LAX and ORD. According to the CO system timetable, the equipment operated on each flight was a "Golden Jet" with the timetable noting, "All Golden Jet service provided by Boeing 707 and 720B Fan Jet Aircraft". The three class fare designation on these flights was F/R/Y.

25. The intermediate stop made by this Northeast Airlines flight was indeed Nantucket.....and Toshbaf beat you to punch concerning the New York arrival airport: JFK (although he actually guessed IDL but I was feeling magnanimous). Here's the sched....

NE 870: Hyannis (HYA) 8:42a - 9:00a Nantucket (ACK) 9:18a - 10:10a New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Equip: DC-9-30 "Yellowbird"
Service classes: F/Y

Northeast was operating seasonal D9S service into both Hyannis and Nantucket during the summer months in 1969 with regard to its flights to New York JFK. Flights to Boston from both HYA and ACK were operated by NE with Fairchild Hiller FH-227 turboprops at this same time. And the leg from Hyannis to Nantucket was one of the shorter jet routes with a distance of 30 miles according to the OAG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.