Wiki Posts
Search

Lie Flat seats between JFK <-> SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Lie Flat seats between JFK <-> SEA?

Hi

I was wondering if there are any airlines that run lie flat seats between JFK and SEA.

If anyone has any info on routes or plane model that would be awesome.

I'm looking into booking a flight for my dad who may need a lot of "flat" time.

Also, as a bonus question, how hard are these seats? Are they firm, plush, or ultraplush (to steal terminology from the mattress industry)

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jmdeng
I was wondering if there are any airlines that run lie flat seats between JFK and SEA.
There are not. This route is served nonstop by Delta, JetBlue, Alaska and American. JetBlue has regular economy seats only (though with more legroom than usual). DL, AS and AA have conventional domestic F seats with limited recline. EWR-SEA is served nonstop by Alaska and Continental / United, but the seating arrangements are similar.

The closest thing to what you want is the Cathay Pacific service between JFK and Vancouver, two hours north of Seattle. That aircraft is an international long-haul widebody Boeing 777 which continues to Hong Kong. The business and F cabins are much more comfortable and opulent than the US domestic carriers offer.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:03 am

If you don't mind connecting you can simply fly say SEA-SFO/LAX-JFK and get the benefit of flat beds on the transcon sector
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Air Canada also operates 777s and 767s with lie-flats on some of their routings between YYZ and YVR (note that not all of their 767s are lie-flats - Some are recliners.)

So you could do NYC -> YYZ -> YVR, then connect to a short hop to SEA. The NYC -> YYZ and YVR -> SEA hops would have no lie-flats, but they are short.

Note that NYC -> Canada -> SEA is not a valid routing, so it would need to happen on 2 tickets.

The Air Canada forum could give you some precise routings.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like my dad will just have to "rough" it for 6 hours. (back issues).

Not quite on topic, so I might start another thread if I've successfully hidden this question, but if anyone knows how firm the F seats are between any of those direct flights from JFK -> SEA. My dad actually would like a firm seat (basically a cushion that you don't sink into) and not a plush seat. I think the economy seat firmness might not be bad, but they're a little cramped. So just wondering if the F seats are also firm, or if they're plush/soft.

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
So just wondering if the F seats are also firm, or if they're plush/soft.
Well it varies by airline and aircraft obviously. That's like asking if the seats in four-door sedans are firm or soft. (Buick or Audi?) It's hard to give a definitive, objective answer given all the airline/aircraft/age combinations out there. But I would say the domestic F seats on AS and CO are on the softer side, DL on the firmer, more benchlike side, the others somewhere in the middle.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like my dad will just have to "rough" it for 6 hours. (back issues).

Not quite on topic, so I might start another thread if I've successfully hidden this question, but if anyone knows how firm the F seats are between any of those direct flights from JFK -> SEA. My dad actually would like a firm seat (basically a cushion that you don't sink into) and not a plush seat. I think the economy seat firmness might not be bad, but they're a little cramped. So just wondering if the F seats are also firm, or if they're plush/soft.

Thanks!
It depends on how bad his back is. There's a big premium to be paid for the seat. Doing the SFO route would reduce the non-lie flat time to 2 hours. I know Delta has some planes like this that I've flown though SLC. That would cut your regular seat time to 2 hours.

What kind of condition does he have? He could always talk to a doctor and get some extra meds for that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.