Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

4 planes stuck on the tarmac for 7-10 hours yesterday (10-30-2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 planes stuck on the tarmac for 7-10 hours yesterday (10-30-2011)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Seems like Jetblue manages to get itself into these PR disasters often enough
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Unbelievable that they would keep pax on plane that long.

Look, I get it. I have flown many times when disrupted by storms, ice, fog--you name it, but darn it all, once you get to the airport you should be off that plane ASAP.

I have never flown Jetblue, and after reading about his, I never will. Their PR guy has the nerve to say this:

.. We did not deplane those aircraft in our targeted time allotted," Maruster said. and..."At no point in this weekend was safety ever compromised in any of our decision-making, whether it was our customers or our crew members and in fact, safety was their number one concern," and "Obviously, we would have preferred deplaning much sooner than we did" (source http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...rtford-airport).
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I fully agree, though I think that the fine should be mitigated slightly by any circumstances that were genuinely beyond the airlines' control, such as the airport denying these planes access to gates. I also think they can be given a smaller fine if they made a good-faith effort to get the pax off.
So long as *ANYONE* could have changed the situation I'm in favor of not holding back on the fines.

If it was a problem with the terminal a few incidents of airlines getting fined will make the airlines demand the airport make suitable arrangements to avoid a recurrence.

The one change I would like is the fines should be time based rather than a sharp cutoff at 3 hours.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
So long as *ANYONE* could have changed the situation I'm in favor of not holding back on the fines.

If it was a problem with the terminal a few incidents of airlines getting fined will make the airlines demand the airport make suitable arrangements to avoid a recurrence.

The one change I would like is the fines should be time based rather than a sharp cutoff at 3 hours.
The airlines may demand anything they want, but what incentive do the airport authorities have to comply if they don't get fined for situations that are partly their fault?

I'm in favor of the 3 hour rule and the fines, but I believe that the fines should be applied to those who actually cause the delays, whether it be the airlines, the airports, the FAA, the TSA, CBP - anyone who stands in the way of a planeload of pax being deplaned to avoid keeping them on board the plane on tarmac for more than 3 hours.

If the airline makes a good faith effort to get the pax offloaded, and the airport or CBP prevents it by failing to provide necessary equipment or personnel, the fine should be leveled at the airport of CBP.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wrp96
JetBlue for at the very least not responding to it's own flight crews.
How do you know that Jetblue corporate didn't respond? Why wouldn't they?

Also, possibly for diverting flights to a station not prepared for as many flights as it received and/or prepared for an emergency situation. Didn't JetBlue learn anything from a few years ago?
Learn what? The FAA diverted them.

To the airport, yes you were without power for at least some of the time, but step up to the plate and problem solve. Don't have enough airstairs or gates to go around? Too dangerous to use airstairs even if have them? Understandable in many situations. But at least find a way to get water/food to the passengers stuck on the planes. The airport had to know as soon as flights started diverting to there that there was going to be issues with gate space, and that it wasn't going to be going anyway any time soon.
A huge fine should be paid by them.

If the airline makes a good faith effort to get the pax offloaded, and the airport or CBP prevents it by failing to provide necessary equipment or personnel, the fine should be leveled at the airport of CBP.
I agree.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What about passenger responsibility? Why did any of these people board a plane to a location that was known to be experiencing a severe winter storm?

I would have stayed in FL.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Analise
How do you know that Jetblue corporate didn't respond? Why wouldn't they?
The audio from the pilot asking the tower to send help because he couldn't get anybody at his company to respond.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:33 am

Learn what? The FAA diverted them.
The FAA doesn't divert planes. It's up to the captain and dispatcher together to decide where to land.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by telloh
The FAA doesn't divert planes. It's up to the captain and dispatcher together to decide where to land.
What? They were diverted to BDL because of problems at EWR. The pilots were diverted by air traffic control who is under the FAA.

The Flyers Rights organization is looking at Bradley to take responsibility for being so ill-prepared and criticizes them for not having contingency plans. Read their statement: http://strandedpassengers.blogspot.com/

That Congress' law doesn't mandate AIRPORTS to pay when they leave passengers stuck on the tarmac for over 3 hours is asinine. Why are they protecting airports?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:08 am

What? They were diverted to BDL because of problems at EWR. The pilots were diverted by air traffic control who is under the FAA.
No, neither the FAA nor ATC diverts aircraft. If the need to divert arises, the captain and dispatcher agree on which diversion airport is best and then the captain tells ATC where the plane is going.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
An airport the size of BDL doesn't have 25 stair trucks and 25 buses sitting around as they'd be unused 360+ days per year. They likely have one of each.
A single plane (A320) takes about 10 mins to deplane. You need a single wide bus to bus everyone (or two regular buses). You could probably do 4/hr, so it would still take 5 hours to do 20 planes.

The argument that it's unsafe to use airstairs is b.s. It's done all over the world every day in all types of weather conditions imaginable... even in the US.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by telloh
No, neither the FAA nor ATC diverts aircraft. If the need to divert arises, the captain and dispatcher agree on which diversion airport is best and then the captain tells ATC where the plane is going.
Funny, I was always under the impression that ATC stood for Air Traffic Control, as in, they control which planes go where and who can land at which airport.

Can ATC not deny a plane permission to land when the airport has no ability to receive it (except in cases of an in-flight emergency, of course)?

Did ATC at BDL not know that the airport couldn't handle any more aircraft on the ground due to personnel and equipment shortages and power failures and snow-blocked gates?

I think there is enough blame to go around in this situation; nobody should be completely immune except the pax, who made their decision to board the aircraft based on what they were told - the flight is going to take off. Somehow I doubt that the pax were informed at their origin airports that their flights might be diverted en route to an airport that could not receive them and would strand them on the tarmac for 7-10 hours.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Funny responses.

These planes were not diverted because it was snowing.

They were diverted because the FAA lost their ground radar at both Newark and at JFK. That's a bit hard to plan for by the airline.

From what some people here are posting, the pilot could have just told the controllers to go screw themselves, they were landing at JFK or Newark no matter what because they read on flyertalk it was their decision where to go and where to land, not the FAA. Not a single plane that landed at Bradley expected to do more than get some fuel and maybe deiced and take off for the quick trip down to New York in a few minutes.

People can blame the airline all they want, but if the FAA sends them someplace they don't want to go, and the airport won't give them a gate because they were all full or a bus to get the people off what are they supposed to do, taxi to a gate and push the plane that's there out of the way?

Had the FAA had an operational system, each of these planes would have landed without incident, instead dozens and dozens of planes were diverted all over the northeast.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Funny, I was always under the impression that ATC stood for Air Traffic Control, as in, they control which planes go where and who can land at which airport.

Can ATC not deny a plane permission to land when the airport has no ability to receive it (except in cases of an in-flight emergency, of course)?

Did ATC at BDL not know that the airport couldn't handle any more aircraft on the ground due to personnel and equipment shortages and power failures and snow-blocked gates?
ATC's job is to get planes on the ground safely. If a plane is requesting to land at an airport and the airport is open, ATC will get them down. It's up to the airlines to figure out where to land and whether they have a gate, etc.

I'm guessing ATC around New York told them that the airports are closed for the time being so JetBlue dispatch decided to divert the planes to BDL, never expecting the delay to last that long.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Palal
A single plane (A320) takes about 10 mins to deplane. You need a single wide bus to bus everyone (or two regular buses). You could probably do 4/hr, so it would still take 5 hours to do 20 planes.
It takes longer than 10 minutes to deplane an airplane of that size even when it's hooked up to a properly operating jetbridge. Have you never sat at the back on an airliner? Start timing from the time the wheels stop until the last passenger is in the jetbridge. I've waiting more than ten minutes on a number of occasions just for the forward door to be opened.

In this case you'd have to plow a path the to airplane as the stairs truck doesn't have much ground clearance. Bring the stairs truck in and bring in the buses. It's going to take two to three buses per airplane. When that airplane's done you have to plow the path to the next airplane and repeat the process. It's going to take a lot more than ten minutes in those conditions.

Even if we take your five hour estimate, the original plan was to refuel and return to EWR. The weather when they landed would have allowed them to depart and the airport still had power. The storm then worsened, and the power was lost, so the plan changed to cancelling the flight and getting the passenger deplaned. Now the jetbridges aren't working, the computers, and phones are out, and the visibility has dropped and ramps/taxiways are covered with 26 airplanes needing to be deplaned. That's when your unrealistic five-hour clock starts.

It's up to the pilots to tell ATC when they are not able, or not authorized, to land under the current conditions. ATC may offer alternatives, or be unable to approve some requests, but it's then up to the pilots to decide on the alternate airport. In this case, the pilot's choices were limited by the amount of fuel remaining as the failures of the EWR ILS approach ground equipment, and New York radar, was not anticipated. When BDL lost power, additional aircraft that were headed for BDL had to divert to BOS under emergency fuel declarations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.