Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel

Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel

Old Oct 18, 11, 6:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel

Apologies if this is a repost, but I'm really not sure what to query for relating to this question without getting a lot of junk results.

I am mid 20s single guy, young urban professional type, and outside of work I don't do much else.

My job involves travel about 30-40% of the time and I've started to really enjoy travel since I feel it gives me the opportunity to see the world. I'm also a bit of a hotel snob, so I find that traveling gives me the opportunity to bolster my review collection on TripAdvisor.

Currently, I have a mortgage on a home, some belongings but not more than would fit in a U-Haul van, and am taking online courses for a masters degree.

For next year, I am thinking of selling off my home, switching to a different department at work that travels much more (let' say.. >75% of the time so I would be home at most 1 week per month), and keeping my non-sellable goods at my parents house. The weeks I am not on the road I can work remotely through company VPN.

When I am on the road, as long as I am booked to be out for consecutive weeks, I am thinking about NOT flying back home on the weekends but either staying in the same place (if it is interesting) or occasionally flying somewhere else within short distance for a change of scenery. It isn't so bad to find a coin laundromat to wash clothes and not having much storage ability will be a great deterrent from buying useless junk.

I feel like this is a crazy idea, but honestly if I don't have rent or bills, I don't see why I need to be permanently planted in any fixed location. I guess I am asking the hive mind here because I know there are negative factors I am not thinking of.

Anyone care to analyze my plan?
ibs_traveller is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 6:59 pm
  #2  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,801
The hardest part will probably be selling your house in a year

I would prefer to have a place to go back to as home, but that's just me. It's certainly not for everybody, but if you think you can handle it give it a shot.
cordelli is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 7:04 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moooooo....
Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Posts: 462
Company travel is not the same as vacation. The company may make you travel to Omaha or Salem, VA. While Omaha is interesting to visit for a day, it gets old.

I would prefer working for one week and having one week of vacation. Laundry would not pile up. I could fly away during the week of vacation. Of the 26 weeks, I could fly away for about 16 of those weeks.

I do not like to live in hotels. If you do and bill the company, then you can save on rent and eventually buy a permanent house.
Cattle Airlines is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 7:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to London...... bye Florida
Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Posts: 5,051
I think Cordelli has a point about selling the house.

A more practical idea might be to find a trustworthy roomate. That way you keep your house and have a permanent address (and tax write off) and a place to retreat to if needed. Get someone who understands your lifestyle and is willing to act as a go-to person for your house, mail, etc.

75% travel is done by many people. It can get exhausting after a time. If the money is good and you enjoy it then I say do it. But always remember that if anything happens (laid off, medical problems, relationship issues) you need to think about having a place to call your own.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 10:20 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Depending on where you live, house prices have been hammered lately..

You may have to take a loss selling your home..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 10:43 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,100
If you're only planning on doing it for a year, why don't you just rent out your house? That way you can have it back when you return.

If you're planning on doing it for longer than a year (which would be very stressful IMO), I'd suggest you keep the house for the first year and see if anything goes wrong. If not, you can sell it at that point, and hopefully the prices will have increased by then.
cbn42 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 11:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 534
The older you get, the less likely you're going to be able to do something like this, so assuming you can resolve the housing situation, I'd say go for it.
Sprezzatura is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 8:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ICN
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by ibs_traveller View Post
Apologies if this is a repost, but I'm really not sure what to query for relating to this question without getting a lot of junk results.

I am mid 20s single guy, young urban professional type, and outside of work I don't do much else.

My job involves travel about 30-40% of the time and I've started to really enjoy travel since I feel it gives me the opportunity to see the world. I'm also a bit of a hotel snob, so I find that traveling gives me the opportunity to bolster my review collection on TripAdvisor.

Currently, I have a mortgage on a home, some belongings but not more than would fit in a U-Haul van, and am taking online courses for a masters degree.

For next year, I am thinking of selling off my home, switching to a different department at work that travels much more (let' say.. >75% of the time so I would be home at most 1 week per month), and keeping my non-sellable goods at my parents house. The weeks I am not on the road I can work remotely through company VPN.

When I am on the road, as long as I am booked to be out for consecutive weeks, I am thinking about NOT flying back home on the weekends but either staying in the same place (if it is interesting) or occasionally flying somewhere else within short distance for a change of scenery. It isn't so bad to find a coin laundromat to wash clothes and not having much storage ability will be a great deterrent from buying useless junk.

I feel like this is a crazy idea, but honestly if I don't have rent or bills, I don't see why I need to be permanently planted in any fixed location. I guess I am asking the hive mind here because I know there are negative factors I am not thinking of.

Anyone care to analyze my plan?
I've basically done almost exactly your plan last year.

I'm also in my mid-20's, single, young professional, love to see the world and my job requires 90-95% travel. Instead of selling my house, I just had it rented out to a family for a year long lease, and the rent basically paid my mortgage. It was nice because I didn't have to worry about utilities anymore such as not having to worry about paying for water, gas, electricity, cable/internet, etc. As for my belongings, I put them in storage and it cost about $258/month. Since you're planning on having your goods at your parents' house, you save a couple hundred on that. I had my car parked at my work's parking garage, and would drive it whenever I would be home the average of 3 days a month.

It can work with a lot of planning, and you can save a TON of money that way, but the hardest part that I had to encounter was always finding place to live when I wasn't on a business trip for work. Whenever I'd return home, I wasn't able to go back to my house since it was rented out, so I'd have to book a hotel for the couple days until I traveled again. And yes, I did have to do the coin laundromat sometimes. In your case, the majority of your money spent will be on hotels that aren't paid out of your company's pocket if you're comfortable with that as it can get quite expensive.

The other hard part which is do-able is to make sure everything is organized in regards to your schedule. Making sure on the days I flew, booking hotels, etc. had to be precise and everything had to be timed right, especially when I would use hotwire to book hotels and there were no refunds.

My advice is to make sure that you put a lot of thought into it, and to see how long you plan on living on the road that way. I did it for a year and it was amazing and I saved a lot, but it does get tiring and I looked forward to moving back into my house once the lease was up.
musicsic is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 8:24 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,427
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura View Post
The older you get, the less likely you're going to be able to do something like this, so assuming you can resolve the housing situation, I'd say go for it.
I agree. I did this for years on end when I was younger. Those were great years
VivoPerLei is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 8:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MKE
Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
Posts: 180
Great idea, and great opportunity. I'll "ditto" those who say that it'll only get harder if you wait.

DO IT !!!!!
negs is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 8:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Aussie in ORD
Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Posts: 4,097
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
I think Cordelli has a point about selling the house.

A more practical idea might be to find a trustworthy roomate. That way you keep your house and have a permanent address (and tax write off) and a place to retreat to if needed. Get someone who understands your lifestyle and is willing to act as a go-to person for your house, mail, etc.

75% travel is done by many people. It can get exhausting after a time. If the money is good and you enjoy it then I say do it. But always remember that if anything happens (laid off, medical problems, relationship issues) you need to think about having a place to call your own.
Relationship issues? I think a long (or even short!) term relationship is off the cards

But yes, if I could I would do it... but I have all the anchors now (yes honey, I mean that in a good way!)
cyclogenesis is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 8:52 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Relationship issues? I think a long (or even short!) term relationship is off the cards
I did a few years of 75-80% travel, but I didn't start after I was over 30 and a badly-ended relationship swore me off of pursuing another one right away (maybe it was my version of joining the French Foreign Legion to forget a woman)

It was easier in my case as I was a renter not a homeowner, so I found a small efficiency apartment (plentiful in my area) to have a permanent address and to keep my small amount of belongings. Living in such a small space (during your at-home weeks and weekends) may be difficult for someone used to a single-family home/condo/etc, but with the right place and right landlord it can be workable.
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 9:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Posts: 1,874
Originally Posted by ibs_traveller View Post
I'm also a bit of a hotel snob, so I find that traveling gives me the opportunity to bolster my review collection on TripAdvisor.

For next year, I am thinking of selling off my home, switching to a different department at work that travels much more (let' say.. >75% of the time so I would be home at most 1 week per month), and keeping my non-sellable goods at my parents house. The weeks I am not on the road I can work remotely through company VPN.

When I am on the road, as long as I am booked to be out for consecutive weeks, I am thinking about NOT flying back home on the weekends but either staying in the same place (if it is interesting) or occasionally flying somewhere else within short distance for a change of scenery.
The flaw in your plan is that you are not at 90-100% travel. If you're really going to be at 75%, this means (as you said) you're expected to be "home" for 1 week per month. What are you going to do for this week? Crash at your parents place, or spend out of pocket money to stay at hotels? If you're spending to live in a hotel 1 week per month, there go any savings you might have earned by not having a place of your own.

If however this one week per month is actually spread out over time, and you can get the company to pay for it, I think in general this is a good idea and will help your career going forward.
pittpanther is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 9:50 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,508
Don't sell your house for 1 year of travel. You're going to pay 7-10% in closing costs, real estate agent fees, etc. Then pay 1-3% in closing costs if you buy again.

Rent it out instead. Even if you can't rent it for what your mortgage is, you'll be better off financially than selling/buying in such a short period of time.
KoKoBuddy is offline  
Old Oct 19, 11, 12:49 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 5,801
I like having a "home base" to come back to, a place where I can count on things being a particular way. It's also a good place to keep clothes that are currently out of season, send your mail to, visit a nearby dentist, etc.

Home base could be the house you own... though you don't want to be paying a lot for a place you seldom use. Consider renting part of it to a person you can trust and keeping a room for yourself. The rent you collect will help defray the costs. Alternatively, rent the whole place and find another place for yourself. It could be a room in your parents' house or a room you rent from a friend. But make sure it's a private room and that the financial arrangement is agreeable-- you don't want to wear out your welcome by being the couch-surfing moocher who drops by when there's nowhere cooler to be.
darthbimmer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: