Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever told an airline or hotel clerk "Do you know who I am" ?

Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

i see that a lot when i am travelling in the first class section of travel/hospitality/service companies.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I don't think any one would care who I am
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the best responses I ever saw to a "Do you know who I am?" question was a senior exec who responded :"I don't even know who you think you are...".
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
One of the best responses I ever saw to a "Do you know who I am?" question was a senior exec who responded :"I don't even know who you think you are...".
^^
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Search for DYKWIA and you will find tons of threads here about it.

Personally, no I don't, I have never used the phrase, because there's no reason for them to know me. One hotel puts the name of their elite people on the welcome board, it was a nice surprise when checking in they actually did recognize the name, mainly because they were staring at it all day on the welcome board.

There are also quite a few youtube animations with the Don't you know who I am storyline, some very funny.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Only when I genuinely forgot who I was and needed to find out.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:19 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
One time when booking a flight over the phone (on-line booking in it's infancy) I wanted to use miles to upgrade. Buying flight from PVD-ORD-LAX for me and GF, didn't use the "DYKWIA" line but did ask if I could upgrade because "I didn't belong in coach". Fortunately the agent knew I was attempting to be funny when I said that. Flight was something like $200 each r/t and much to my and the agent's surprise I was able to upgrade the flight with miles.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Another response I've heard someplace is....said in a loud voice: "Does anyone here recognize this person? He/she doesn't seem to know who he/she is...."
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed
Another response I've heard someplace is....said in a loud voice: "Does anyone here recognize this person? He/she doesn't seem to know who he/she is...."
LOL, I like that one.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have, on rare occasions, told airline personnel who I am not, as in, "I'm not an idiot -- I'm well aware that UA does not hold aircraft for late-arriving passengers."
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i haven't, but have heard the equivalent a few times [never heard dykwia]....

i enjoyed an incident at a dfw ac one time....i can pass for a kettle, and was at the counter to check on my exp ug, when a guy came up next to me and said "i'm exp & i want my ug to xyz...both agents were busy, mine said some one will be w/you soon.... a third came out & there was a signal from my agent....so, the guy was being helped & the lady says sorry no mas....my agent said mr clacko heres your ug to xyz, thank you for being exp...made my day...

Last edited by clacko; Oct 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by clacko

i enjoyed an incident at a dfw ac one time....i can pass for a kettle, and was at the counter to check on my exp ug, when a guy came up next to me and said "i'm exp & i want my ug to xtz...both agents were busy, mine said some one will be w/you soon.... a third came out & there was a signal from my agent....so, the guy was being helped & the lady says sorry no mas....my agent said mr clacko heres your ug to xyz, thank you for being exp...made my day...
Ugghhh, that's the worst kind of DYKWIA - the one that thinks lines don't apply to him.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by calista
i see that a lot when i am travelling in the first class section of travel/hospitality/service companies.
Only once, when the manager and what looked like 2 court officers banged on my door. Apparently they thought I was someone else. I wonder what that guy did!!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
lost you here.

Originally Posted by clacko

i enjoyed an incident at a dfw ac one time....i can pass for a kettle, and was at the counter to check on my exp ug, when a guy came up next to me and said "i'm exp & i want my ug to xtz...both agents were busy, mine said some one will be w/you soon.... a third came out & there was a signal from my agent....so, the guy was being helped & the lady says sorry no mas....my agent said mr clacko heres your ug to xyz, thank you for being exp...made my day...
I think I lost you here with this...I'm having a hard time understanding with all the abbreviations and lack of sentences....
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Great question by the OP!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.