Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever told an airline or hotel clerk "Do you know who I am" ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever told an airline or hotel clerk "Do you know who I am" ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Only when reeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy drunk and I have seriously forgotten...
"No, seriously do you know who I am? Because I have forgotten!"

Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
In 30-plus years of high-frequency flying I have only pulled rank once. I did not use the DYKWIA phrase though. It was nearly 20 years ago. There was a sudden death in my family and I had to get from DCA to another east coast point in a major hurry. It was a summer Saturday morning and the terminal was heaving with people, all flights in all directions sold out. Without a reservation I got to the front of the check-in line, pulled out my USAir super-status FF card (can't remember what it was called), explained my situation and said: "I'm so sorry. I've never, ever asked you guys for a favor before. I need a favor now." I guess I was so ashen / shaken as I talked, the counter agent took me at my word. I got on the next northbound plane. To whoever I bumped, I apologize.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As others have stated - I could tell them who I am and it wouldn't mean anything. In the more generic "I have status/am a frequent traveller/customer", I'm pretty sure they already know that when I'm talking with an agent. I may have asked "are there any Platinum upgrades available today" or some similar wording when I wasn't sure they were aware and wanted to do so politely.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Other than the circumstance where you genuinely don't know who you are, it's hard to imagine a circumstance in which this would not be an impolite question.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree.

Originally Posted by FrogProf
Other than the circumstance where you genuinely don't know who you are, it's hard to imagine a circumstance in which this would not be an impolite question.
Someone who has true status in society never has to tell others what it is. I have met some people who are beyond wealthy and powerful, yet never let on until I ask them what they do.

It's the people who are insecure and uncertain about their own position in society that have to declare their station in life.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
I've never used "Don't you know who I am?" seriously, but often in jest. I keep a card in my wallet with those words written on the back. When I'm dealing face-to-face with a counter agent, GA, or AAngel, and for whatever reason they can't immediately give me whatever it is I'm looking for, I'll get a serious look on my face. I say: "Well, when I first became an elite I met an ex-plat who told me what to do whenever I would encounter a really surly employee who wouldn't cooperate." (I'll say this no matter how nice the person has been.) "The ex-plat gave me a card with the words to say, and told me that when I say these words to you, you MUST give me the (upgrade, or whatever)".

Of course at this point the employee is a combination of annoyed, doubtful, unsure, etc., etc.

I pull the card out of my wallet and read slowly word-for-word: "Don't you know who I am?"

Always gets a great laugh.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Great question by the OP!
To answer.. not quite.. but I do tell them sometimes the level of membership or type of member I am if we are getting huffy and puffy..
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Back in my college years I always heard the story told as:

A professor tells his class that all exam papers are due at the end of the hour. Three minutes after the deadline, as the professor is gathering up his bag to leave, a student comes up to hand in his booklet.

"Your exam is late," the professor tells him. "I won't accept it."

The student draws back his shoulders and puffs out his chest. "Do you know who I am?" he demands.

"No," says the professor.

"Good!" exclaims the student as he quickly shoves his exam booklet in the middle of the stack of papers and dashes out the door.

[ETA: Oh, no! It's my 1000th post on FlyerTalk, a special milestone I had long hoped to achieve with a contribution of special insight, timeliness, or beauty. Instead, I've squandered it on a DYKWIA joke. ... Oh, well, it could have been worse. It could have been a tipping thread.]

Last edited by darthbimmer; Oct 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
No, I've never used that line, but a friend of my mother's once used it when she was pulled over and arrested for a DUI. Her exact words to the police officer were, "Do you know who I am? I only wear Escada!" She still got hauled down to the precinct.

Funny thing is, she did/does only wear Escada clothes.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Back in my college years I always heard the story told as:

A professor tells his class that all exam papers are due at the end of the hour. Three minutes after the deadline, as the professor is gathering up his bag to leave, a student comes up to hand in his booklet.

"Your exam is late," the professor tells him. "I won't accept it."

The student draws back his shoulders and puffs out his chest. "Do you know who I am?" he demands.

"No," says the professor.

"Good!" exclaims the student as he quickly shoves his exam booklet in the middle of the stack of papers and dashes out the door.
Here is a visualization of the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CqgnZhb--Q
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Sometime in the late-1990s, I was moved to a wait-list (had a confirmed seat) for my flight from Rome (FCO) back to Zurich on Swissair.

When I was told that I was no longer confirmed on the flight, I actually said the following (with a completely straight face) to the Swissair ground agent: "Hey, I've slept with Jeffrey Katz!" (Jeffrey Katz was the Swissair CEO at the time.)

Immediately, the male agent made a couple of calls and within minutes I got my business-class seat on the plane.

For the record, I have never slept with Jeffrey Katz, nor have I ever met him.

Last edited by Gigantor; Oct 12, 2011 at 8:34 am
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:11 am

I think my name says it all.

(It was for many years important not to call attention to myself)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I don't think any one would care who I am
Nor me but I have it what the OP is asking many times (and not just to a hotel clerk )
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:01 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by udontknowme
I think my name says it all.

(It was for many years important not to call attention to myself)
Indeed.

Well, since the dawn of mankind, status among peers was most likely evident.
I've traveled with some that feel they are above the herd.
Me? I'd never say that. Even though I'm me.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:03 am

I once checked into a hotel and did not get the right room type, no club level and none of the other amenities requested on my reservation. Plus housekeeping acted funny and thought I'd be checking out the next morning. When I then got a no-show charge on my credit card from the same hotel, I looked at my bill more carefully. The front desk had checked me in under somebody else's name and reservation. At least I got the govt rate.

Ever since, I make it a point to confirm that the hotel does know who I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.