Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When you're done early with a business trip...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When you're done early with a business trip...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther
None of this means I'm "pressure packed," it just means that when on the client site I am not motivated to spend their money to sightsee.
Bingo. I'm not making money for my company, nor am I spending my clients' money wisely when I'm sitting on my duff or sightseeing. Business travel is for business only, it's not supposed to be fun.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Organization does not allow the purchase of flexible fares so I usually either head to the AP if I have lounge access (get some work done there) or do some sight seeing...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Being on a business trip is the same, only in this case I know that a client is specifically paying for ME to come there and work on-site to accomplish some goal. If I finished up early I would work on some activities for that client, again because they paid for ME to come on site. If I was to come early or stay late and sightsee, I would pay the extra hotel room stay out of pocket.
I think it's reasonable to do a bit of sightseeing on a business trip when:
  • The goals of your trip are met and the client has dismissed you
  • Rebooking your travel to leave sooner would be cost-prohibitive
  • The amount of time is small -- 1/2 day up to a full day, not multiple days
  • You're spending personal time (e.g., traveling on weekends) to support the project
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by brendog
Business travel is for business only, it's not supposed to be fun.
Wow, this is a sad, sad way to live.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ~tc~
Wow, this is a sad, sad way to live.
Definitely, OPs outlook can be changed..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Kipper and his father were on a hunting trip (personal). They finished hunting within 3 days of arriving, and were looking to come home early, rather than spend an entire week out in Wyoming. Unfortunately, because the tickets were non-refundable, cheap fares, the airline wanted an extra $1,400 for the two of them to come home a day early. They're staying there.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Mr. Kipper and his father were on a hunting trip (personal). They finished hunting within 3 days of arriving, and were looking to come home early, rather than spend an entire week out in Wyoming. Unfortunately, because the tickets were non-refundable, cheap fares, the airline wanted an extra $1,400 for the two of them to come home a day early. They're staying there.
It comes down to.. how much extra in fees and difference in fares, you're willing to pay to get home early..

This is a perfect example, how cost economics is thown out the window, considering whether to come home early or not..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:35 pm

I'm married with young kids, so I often try to get back asap. Luckily, as a ff, my change fares are typically limited to $150 if I need to get back a day or two early. If SDC, it's free, of course depending on availablity.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
So you record that extra day as a vacation day?
No, it is still a work day as I can easily get 60 emails a day (or more) that need to be handled whether I sit at a desk in the office or a desk in a different city.
I find after doing something around the city , then coming back and working, I actually get more done than if I were back in the office. I am undisturbed and can get things finished.
As long as the work gets done, doesn't really matter where I am......
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
No, it is still a work day as I can easily get 60 emails a day that need to be handled whether I sit at a desk in the office or a desk in a different city.
I find after doing something around the city , then coming back and working, I actually get more done than if I were back in the office. I am undisturbed and can get things finished.
As long as the work gets done, doesn't really matter where I am......
My business is of the same nature..

I can vacation for 3 weeks.. but do so, because I work when I'm away..

i.e. cell phone in hand, checking messages on bb, on the computer at home away from home..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
My business is of the same nature..

I can vacation for 3 weeks.. but do so, because I work when I'm away..

i.e. cell phone in hand, checking messages on bb, on the computer at home away from home..

Exactly........
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:24 am

Depends.

If its a long trip and we finish early one day, I'll usually take the rest of the day to sightsee. If its Friday and the original schedule had me going back Sat. to avoid a late-night flight, I'll probably stay until then. Otherwise, I'll telework or fly back.

It all depends on the workload, but since I can manage my own output, if I can enjoy myself with putting an undue strain on company or client, I will.

Generally, I won't use regular working hours for personal activities unless the work just isn't worth it. One time a secretary tried b*%&#ing at me for not charging vacation since I stayed in the city instead of coming back to the office after training was over for the day. Yeah, when SHE works 60 hours a week and is sometimes in the office past 10PM, THEN she can complain about my not sitting in rush-hour traffic for 90min to get back to the office 15min before everybody goes home for the day.

Ditto for the Wed. before Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Year's Eve, etc...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
It comes down to.. how much extra in fees and difference in fares, you're willing to pay to get home early..

This is a perfect example, how cost economics is thown out the window, considering whether to come home early or not..
That's it. They obviously aren't willing to pay $1,400 in fare differences and fees to come home a day early.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
If I can get home at a reasonable hour I will have my company change my flight. If not, I will stay and take my original flight.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
That's it. They obviously aren't willing to pay $1,400 in fare differences and fees to come home a day early.
Some people may.. but I wouldn't know what world they are from.. unless its' on company expense or something..

But as a company owner, I would never authorize an expense like that.. That's unacceptable economics to me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.