Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pan Am: how was it, is the TV show unrealistic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pan Am: how was it, is the TV show unrealistic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jacknyoc
PS...

the one part I really did love to see (again) was the shot of the old PA building in Manhattan with the logo emblazened at the top. I always loved seeing that...and miss it to this day.
You can still call it the PanAm building - as many people do.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
and I do actually...

Originally Posted by erik123
You can still call it the PanAm building - as many people do.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:46 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I was pretty young when I flew PA, but I agree with the Op that said he did not recall the crews being that young.
I don't either, unless, at the time, I was young enough to think that a 35 year old was a senior dude.
And indeed, everyone seemed to smoke in those days (except me - or so I thought) and I hated cigarette smoke. That was the worst part of flying years ago to me. Could not stand the 2nd hand smoke.

Funny how they had "Smoking" and "non-Smoking" AREAS of the plane, while we all inhaled 2nd hand smoke in that tube.

Ah, the good old days.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I watched it and found it terrible. In fact, I had to struggle to not quit halfway through. The graphics made Microsoft Flight Sim 2000 look state of the art and the writing was so LAZY. "Hmm, who should we have be the sexually liberated F/A? The French Girl? SOLD!"
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:35 am

Pan AM uniforms on TV: authentic or not?

Here's a site that has posted pics of Pan Am stewardesses that's really interesting...

http://pambee.com/2011/09/30/nostalg...otos-and-more/

I love the one with the stewardess sitting in the jet engine, a pose I understand that many stewardesses back in the day were allowed to do.

The other difference I see between the TV show and reality is that the TV show's stewardess uniforms are a little tighter and form fitting than the photos on this site. Take a look at the first photo at http://pambee.com/2011/09/30/nostalg...otos-and-more/.

I bet you can guess why ABC made their uniforms a little tighter than reality...RATINGS!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:09 pm

I loved the show, I think it was an opportunity for younger travelers like me who weren't around in that time period to get a sense of the glamor days of flying
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO 1.5 MM, Hilton Diamond
I flew Pan Am in the early 1960s. Realistic or not, it reminded me of a different era of flying.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
Airplane geek moment for which I apologize in advance:

[GEEK]

When you see the engines with the grouping of small exhaust pipes you are looking at Rolls Royce Conway turbofans, which denote a variant of the 707 called the 707-420. This was actually a later variant of the airplane, first delivered in 1960, and comparatively rare; only 37 were built. BOAC requested the -420 variant from Boeing (presumably to throw a UK engine manufacturer the business). But Pan Am and others did take delivery of some. They would have joined the fleet new in 1963 as depicted in the TV program.
Afraid not. PAA never operated Conway-powered 707s, the 'cluster' of noise suppressors was common to the JT3C and JT4A engines as well. Only 3 707s were delivered to PAA in 1963 and they were all -321C with JT3D engines which did not have the cluster. However the 5 707s delivered in 1962 were -321B so we'll give the show's producers a bit of leeway in making such a small error.

Yours in geekiness
W
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Afraid not. PAA never operated Conway-powered 707s, the 'cluster' of noise suppressors was common to the JT3C and JT4A engines as well. Only 3 707s were delivered to PAA in 1963 and they were all -321C with JT3D engines which did not have the cluster. However the 5 707s delivered in 1962 were -321B so we'll give the show's producers a bit of leeway in making such a small error.

Yours in geekiness
W
You're the Nick Burns of aviation

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19050/satu...ive-nick-burns
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO PLAT, Marriott PLAT
After watching the show, one thing that I particularly liked was when they went off to London, they were out of touch. No cellphones, no internet, nothing. I was just in London and I had 2 cellphones, internet, and was never out of touch. I know that I could leave it all behind, but in today's world that is becoming exceedingly difficult to make work, at least for me. The scene where they are sitting in a pub having a drink was awesome. No contact to regular life back home, no distractions, a simpler time.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
PS...

the one part I really did love to see (again) was the shot of the old PA building in Manhattan with the logo emblazened at the top. I always loved seeing that...and miss it to this day.
A few years ago when Dame Edna was performing on Broadway, she started the show by explaining that she had found a cozy little flat for her time in NYC. The price was cheap and the view was great. Then she showed the audience a picture of her view, and there was the PanAm building front and center. LOL

As for the show I pretty much agree with everyone else. I wasn't blown away, but will probably watch again.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Only 3 707s were delivered to PAA in 1963 and they were all -321C with JT3D engines which did not have the cluster. However the 5 707s delivered in 1962 were -321B so we'll give the show's producers a bit of leeway in making such a small error.
I'm still flying some of those old JT3D engines. Nothing like a 15,000#/hr fuel flow at top-of-climb!

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I wasn't blown away, but will probably watch again.
I'm still watching. I just wish they'd have hired an airline pilot as a consultant so that the pilots would look a little more realistic in the performance of their jobs.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
It's as if Pan Am was conceived by someone who saw the scene in Catch Me If You Can where Frank Abagnale was pretending to be a Pan Am pilot and strutted through the terminal with a bunch of Pan Am stewardesses (as they then were), and decided to make an entire series about it.

I think I'll pass on any more episodes.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Never flew PA

but my ice-dance partner interviewed with them, though she ended up with UA.
That aside, I don't remember having to send my carry-on through an x-ray machine when I was traveling last century though THAT arrangement was depicted briefly in one overhead shot.
Anyone corroborate?
TIA
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Personally, I am watching the show because Christina Ricci has never looked better, and that is all the rationale I need - irrespective of all the other hackneyed cliches one must put up with when watching it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.