Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The ticket tax may expire again! (Sept. 16) [Update: Tax extended to Jan. 2012.]

The ticket tax may expire again! (Sept. 16) [Update: Tax extended to Jan. 2012.]

Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You would THINK that they'll work it out this time to avoid more insanity, but maybe not. Here's the latest on the latest stand-off:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope it expires, and that the airlines start collecting the money again. They can all use the extra income.

^^
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The ticket difference is so nominal, it just wouldn't be worth the savings, unless buying multiple tickets..

But I think the airline will be better prepared this next time not to pass on the savings..
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I hope that the airlines don't start collecting the money again. While consumers have been getting poorer and the government is broke, airlines have been getting richer by taking away from consumers and from the government.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I hope that the airlines don't start collecting the money again. While consumers have been getting poorer and the government is broke, airlines have been getting richer by taking away from consumers and from the government.
i wouldnt call airline industry that profitable tho. I do wish that tax will expire and airlines wouldnt collect it
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Originally Posted by element7
i wouldnt call airline industry that profitable tho. I do wish that tax will expire and airlines wouldnt collect it
They won't be able to collect tax--they can't collect taxes that aren't authorized.

Instead they'll just adjust the base fare upward by the tax amount like they did the last time this happened, all airlines at once. So it will *seems* like they are still collecting the tax, but technically, they're not.....
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I hope it expires, and that the airlines start collecting the money again. They can all use the extra income.

^^
serioiusly, they don't need it anymore than I need it in my pocket or the company I work for needs it for their bottom line
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It appears that there is a "verbal deal" to extend the FAA authorization (I don't know for how long), so it seems less likely tonight that the ticket tax will expire tomorrow. I kind of thought they'd have to reach a deal, because it would really have looked ridiculous for this to happen again, especially so soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
serioiusly, they don't need it anymore than I need it in my pocket or the company I work for needs it for their bottom line
Agreed..

btw today is D Day.. everyone ready for the elusive deal that may be? I may do an AE change on my itinerary.. maybe they'll refund a bit of the difference.. so since they are charging base fares, maybe a change on FF redemption will actually result in change in my pocket..

Ching a ling a ling.. coinage a clankin'
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Agreed..

btw today is D Day.. everyone ready for the elusive deal that may be? I may do an AE change on my itinerary.. maybe they'll refund a bit of the difference.. so since they are charging base fares, maybe a change on FF redemption will actually result in change in my pocket..

Ching a ling a ling.. coinage a clankin'
The bill was passed, no tax holiday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44540712...-faa-shutdown/
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
The bill was passed, no tax holiday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44540712...-faa-shutdown/
Yeah, this one extends the tax through January.

I guess we could then see issue pop up again, depending on the political winds. It's just so stupid for the gov't not to collect taxes, though, so I suspect the most likely outcome is that we see more short term "extensions" through the next presidential election.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The news this morning was calling it "the only thing congress was able to agree on yesterday"

Of course, this is only till January, when we can repeat the entire thing once again.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, this one extends the tax through January.

I guess we could then see issue pop up again, depending on the political winds. It's just so stupid for the gov't not to collect taxes, though, so I suspect the most likely outcome is that we see more short term "extensions" through the next presidential election.
Yes, great for consumers.. bad for public funding..

Can't win I guess

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.