Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The ticket tax may expire again! (Sept. 16) [Update: Tax extended to Jan. 2012.]

The ticket tax may expire again! (Sept. 16) [Update: Tax extended to Jan. 2012.]

Old Sep 14, 11, 10:20 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,952
The ticket tax may expire again! (Sept. 16) [Update: Tax extended to Jan. 2012.]

You would THINK that they'll work it out this time to avoid more insanity, but maybe not. Here's the latest on the latest stand-off:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:01 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,439
I hope it expires, and that the airlines start collecting the money again. They can all use the extra income.

^^
planemechanic is offline  
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:44 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
The ticket difference is so nominal, it just wouldn't be worth the savings, unless buying multiple tickets..

But I think the airline will be better prepared this next time not to pass on the savings..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:57 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,929
I hope that the airlines don't start collecting the money again. While consumers have been getting poorer and the government is broke, airlines have been getting richer by taking away from consumers and from the government.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Sep 15, 11, 1:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I hope that the airlines don't start collecting the money again. While consumers have been getting poorer and the government is broke, airlines have been getting richer by taking away from consumers and from the government.
i wouldnt call airline industry that profitable tho. I do wish that tax will expire and airlines wouldnt collect it
element7 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 11:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Posts: 1,469
Originally Posted by element7 View Post
i wouldnt call airline industry that profitable tho. I do wish that tax will expire and airlines wouldnt collect it
They won't be able to collect tax--they can't collect taxes that aren't authorized.

Instead they'll just adjust the base fare upward by the tax amount like they did the last time this happened, all airlines at once. So it will *seems* like they are still collecting the tax, but technically, they're not.....
UA_Eagle is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 1:43 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Posts: 41,108
Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
I hope it expires, and that the airlines start collecting the money again. They can all use the extra income.

^^
serioiusly, they don't need it anymore than I need it in my pocket or the company I work for needs it for their bottom line
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 4:51 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,952
It appears that there is a "verbal deal" to extend the FAA authorization (I don't know for how long), so it seems less likely tonight that the ticket tax will expire tomorrow. I kind of thought they'd have to reach a deal, because it would really have looked ridiculous for this to happen again, especially so soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 7:41 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
serioiusly, they don't need it anymore than I need it in my pocket or the company I work for needs it for their bottom line
Agreed..

btw today is D Day.. everyone ready for the elusive deal that may be? I may do an AE change on my itinerary.. maybe they'll refund a bit of the difference.. so since they are charging base fares, maybe a change on FF redemption will actually result in change in my pocket..

Ching a ling a ling.. coinage a clankin'
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Sep 16, 11, 5:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,459
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Agreed..

btw today is D Day.. everyone ready for the elusive deal that may be? I may do an AE change on my itinerary.. maybe they'll refund a bit of the difference.. so since they are charging base fares, maybe a change on FF redemption will actually result in change in my pocket..

Ching a ling a ling.. coinage a clankin'
The bill was passed, no tax holiday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44540712...-faa-shutdown/
iceman77_7 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 11, 8:23 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,952
Originally Posted by iceman77_7 View Post
The bill was passed, no tax holiday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44540712...-faa-shutdown/
Yeah, this one extends the tax through January.

I guess we could then see issue pop up again, depending on the political winds. It's just so stupid for the gov't not to collect taxes, though, so I suspect the most likely outcome is that we see more short term "extensions" through the next presidential election.
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 16, 11, 8:26 am
  #12  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,801
The news this morning was calling it "the only thing congress was able to agree on yesterday"

Of course, this is only till January, when we can repeat the entire thing once again.
cordelli is offline  
Old Sep 16, 11, 8:58 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, this one extends the tax through January.

I guess we could then see issue pop up again, depending on the political winds. It's just so stupid for the gov't not to collect taxes, though, so I suspect the most likely outcome is that we see more short term "extensions" through the next presidential election.
Yes, great for consumers.. bad for public funding..

Can't win I guess
Ancien Maestro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread