Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of airlines with a 2+ bag allowance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

List of airlines with a 2+ bag allowance

Since so many airlines are cutting back on the baggage allowances, I'm compiling a list of airlines that have a 2+ bag allowance. The idea is to derive the syntax needed to query ITA software for flights that allow 2 bags (eg. :: c:SN,LO,SU,TN f*). This is the list so far:
  • Aeroflot ("SU")
  • Air Jamaica (overseas only) ("JM")
  • Air Tahiti Nui ("TN")
  • Brussels Airlines (overseas only Africa only) ("SN")
  • China Airlines ("CI")
  • Expressjet ("RU" or "XE")
  • Japan Airlines ("JL")
  • LOT Polish Airlines ("LO")
  • Porter Airlines ("PD")
  • Southwest Airlines (domestic only) ("WN")
  • V Australia Airlines ("VA")
  • Westjet ("WS")

What's missing?

Last edited by garyschmitt; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i assume this is for 2 bags at the lowest fare?

wn wont work, i guess....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko

that's right.. it's for economy traveling. The list would be much longer if it were for higher classes or those with status miles.

It would be interesting to search on the union of both the list above, and first class on all other airlines, to ensure a complete set of results that allow 2 bags, but that's not possible with the current ITA software language. It doesn't hurt to include "wn" in whatever canned list that results. There's always a chance ITA decides to scrape their webpage, as some search sites have done.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

more:

AR-AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS
FI-ICELANDAIR (USA and Canada only)
EK-EMIRATES AIRLINES
KU-KUWAIT AIRWAYS
ET-ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES
TK-TURKISH AIRLINES
AI-AIR INDIA
AZ-ALITALIA (Africa, Brazil, and Argentina only, see site)

(this site links straight to the baggage policies of a lot of airlines.)

Last edited by garyschmitt; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Unless something's changed, WN allows two bags up to 50 pounds each on any fare.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:16 pm

This might help:
http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...chart-updated/
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Unless something's changed, WN allows two bags up to 50 pounds each on any fare.
i was referring to info from wn which the op said that there might be a way to get it......i haven't seen wn flights on anything but the wn site...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
i was referring to info from wn which the op said that there might be a way to get it......i haven't seen wn flights on anything but the wn site...
Aahh....true. For the purposes of the ITA query, no Southwest listed there...

One other thing that would be good to know...and I don't know if it's available on ITA...specifically what (weight) is the baggage allowance by each airline?

I've seen this bite people before: usually starting a trip on a carrier that allows a 50-pound bag and flying later in the itinerary on one that allows 22 kg. I have also seen an Aussie couple at an AA counter, flying a domestic U.S. segment as part of an RTW ticket, get charged for a 70-pound bag. That was their outbound allowance on the Australian carrier.

The Aussie couple argued that the rules from the RTW ticket should apply. The AA agent argued that AA rules should apply. The Aussies gave in and paid the fees. I was a little disappointed the AA agent didn't cut 'em a little slack...two people with a single large rucksack each...it wasn't like they were over 100 pounds per person or anything.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
A lot of airlines still base baggage policies on weight. E.g. the CX policy states 20kg for Y but AFAIK there is no specific restrictions on the number of bags - so in that example you could in theory have three bags of 7 + 7 + 6kg, no?

Ditto SQ.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All airlines on flights to/from Brazil.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

update: United Airlines is baggage hostile.

That is, if United is the operator and their partner grants you 2 free bags on the ticket stock, UA will refuse to transport the 2nd bag for free (citing as a reason that their partner made an error on the flight info).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:40 am

Streamline Air

Streamline Air, a little regional carrier operating out of Boston/Hanscom and Philly/Trenton.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
COPA Airlines (CM) will allow 2 bags up to 23 kg (max 157 cm linear measurement per bag) for free, according to their baggage calculator.

Have never flown them, found this planning a vacation trip for later this year.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Many of the low coast like Ryanair or Easyjet allow multiple bags - however it doesn't affect the allowance.

Therefore any numbers of bag check would also have to be crosschecked against the calculation for the baggage allowance.

Perhaps you should work backwards from there as an airline that allows 1 bag @32kg is going to be better than an airline that allows 6 bags but only 20kg in total
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:36 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
On intra South American Routes LAN permits 2 bags weighing in total up to 23kg (50lb) and on their North American Routes they permit 2 bags weighing 23kg (50lb) each

I forget what it is on European routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.