Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential Hurricane Threatens Southeast U.S. Late in Week

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Potential Hurricane Threatens Southeast U.S. Late in Week

If you are planning to travel to Florida, Georgia, or the Carolinas the latter half of this week or next weekend pay attention to the weather.

If any FT members live in these regions, be thinking about preparations and response now.

Here are some preliminary thoughts about the storm from my blog: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...-on-irene.html
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
Thanks Mike. Of course we are supposed to fly to FLA for a week's vacation next weekend (sigh).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by askias
Thanks Mike. Of course we are supposed to fly to FLA for a week's vacation next weekend (sigh).
If it is south Florida, the hurricane should be past them by next weekend.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this isn't really a news story per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...elsewhere.html I am going to move this to Travel Buzz for the widest audience for this discussion.

cblaisd
Moderator, Newsstand
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As of right now, Thursday 2pm it is forecast to be over Miami with a 38% chance of being a tropical storm (39-74mph winds) and a 40% chance of being a hurricane (75-95 with a small chance of higher). Friday 2pm it's right over Orlando with 39%/36% probabilities.

If you're not leaving until Saturday, it will likely be in Georgia by about noon Saturday (my extrapolated forecast) and probably down to a moderate tropical storm or just a depression. You may have to vector around it but unless it's a very early flight or you're in very northern FL, "next weekend" should be OK, as of now.

(all data from the NHC which is predicting much further inland than KansaMike's projection. I'm sure the models all have standard deviations of hundreds of miles, certainly YMMV)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Flights may be delayed because of the Tropical Storm/Depression..

I would get updates.. even phone into the airline to double check arrangement or make new arrangements..
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
Fantastic.. I am supposed to be traveling from BOS through ATL onto SJU on Saturday.. I have a bad feeling I am going to be delayed quite a bit this weekend.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Yeah, flying through ATL this Sunday. I hope it won't be too bad...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:30 pm

Latest forecast track from NHC

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4...daynl#contents
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Looking like a Cat-3 for SC.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:34 pm

Figures. I am supposed to fly from RDU to Ft Lauderdale for a job interview on Friday AM and head back Friday night. I've never tried to fly near a hurricane.

Do the airlines typically try to fly their schedule or are they pretty quick with the cancellations?

The one thing I have going for me maybe is I am on US Air through CLT, so at least it seems if the eastward trend continues, maybe I have a chance to come in from the back and miss it. But thats thinking logically and I am not sure how the airlines handle this situation?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm scheduled to fly ATL - FLL (departing ~ 11 a.m. & arriving 1 p.m.) and it's not looking good; I think ATL is going to be a mess Thursday night through Friday afternoon?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:50 pm

I can see it being a mess on Friday, but I think Thursday night at ATL should be OK... the latest forecast has it as a Cat-4 just off FL at 8pm then.

If it's a Cat 3 or 4, though, I would imagine almost all of FL to be pretty much inaccessible via air for Thurs-Sat.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...1109_5day.html

Last edited by yankervitch; Aug 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm Reason: Like Pierre, I am a fan of wunderground.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman
Figures. I am supposed to fly from RDU to Ft Lauderdale for a job interview on Friday AM and head back Friday night. I've never tried to fly near a hurricane.

Do the airlines typically try to fly their schedule or are they pretty quick with the cancellations?

The one thing I have going for me maybe is I am on US Air through CLT, so at least it seems if the eastward trend continues, maybe I have a chance to come in from the back and miss it. But thats thinking logically and I am not sure how the airlines handle this situation?
I was stuck in the middle of a hurricane warning travelling to MIA once..

We phoned the hotel before we left, and the Fairmont Turnberry Isle assured us everything was fine.. and when we got there, the entire hotel was evacuated.. Let's put it this way.. they accomodated us comfortably.. but there was hardly any charges for the gross inconvenience they put us through.. we could have rebooked our flights and enjoyed our vacation to Miami.. but instead we enjoyed getting front row seats when the hurricane travelled by closely..

Upon arrival.. we tried to fly out.. only one seat available.. the airplane was empty going to MIA.. gee, I wonder why?

IIRC no charge for flight changes when a hurricane warning is issued.. but finding enough seats is another issue..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:47 am

If you're thinking about how it might impact the East Coast later this week and into next week: the Washington Post's excellent Capital Weather Gang blog has a post up that begins to explore that impact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.