FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Rudest Airport Award goes to.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1248453-rudest-airport-award-goes.html)

exbayern Aug 27, 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by AlanInDC (Post 17006472)
I'm surprised that you include SFO in your list above wrt international travellers. The SFO international terminal, and the airport in general, seems to be at international standards, to me. It also has nice public transport connections to the city of SF. Agreed that LAX and IAD are unimpressive. Curiously, I have never been to EWR.

I was actually taking the list from previous posters, but the new 'pronounce your name game' is at SFO and they have been really bad to furriners, from what I witnessed. :( They were taking the 'shout ever louder in English and people will understand' to a whole new level, not to mention the fact that apparently many of us furriners don't know how to pronounce our own names 'correctly'. (See TS&S for more details on this game)

As to people not travelling outside the US - :confused: Many of us don't live in the US and have to travel from outside the US to even get there.

India may have a lot of steps along the way, but frankly I find they generally are amongst the most polite of airport staff, security staff, and military in my various encounters around the world. (And I have travelled to/from/through many airports around India in recent years)

Sheikh Yerbooty Aug 27, 2011 11:52 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 17006547)
India may have a lot of steps along the way, but frankly I find they generally are amongst the most polite of airport staff, security staff, and military in my various encounters around the world. (And I have travelled to/from/through many airports around India in recent years)

On that we are in complete agreement. But do they ever love fondling their rubber stamps ;)

exbayern Aug 27, 2011 12:17 pm

And that is why this thread confuses me. Individuals can be rude, procedures can be bureaucratic, infrastructure can be outdated or poorly designed, but airports cannot really be called rude as a whole.

In India there is a huge bureaucracy, with generally very polite people implementing the various steps.

As pointed out earlier, there are subsets of people (such as TSA) which can colour the experience, but determining an entire airport to be rude based on encounters with those people is using a rather broad brush.

BigDog Aug 27, 2011 3:50 pm

While I realize airports can't be rude, the various staff at ATL certainly make it the one airport I refuse to use.

neuron Aug 27, 2011 4:16 pm

PHL and EWR are my picks.

balima Aug 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Athens wins for me. Questions are never really answered - just a quick NO! and they continue with their own business and don't bother looking up. I'll go with Heraklion for a close second. Love Greece, but customer service is not one of their strong points.

PaxUKLancashire Aug 27, 2011 6:36 pm

I am limited on US airports. I've only been to the US twice, surprisingly I found Sanford much worse than Newark in terms of rude staff. Will give LAX as wide a berth as possible. Immigration staff at Newark even joked with us. This was pre 9/11. Glad to say, I was able to see the WTC when it was still standing.

Bristol Airport in the UK is not one of my favourites for surly staff, particularly going through security.

As I am from the UK, we don't get Madtv which was a US comedy sketch show I heard about. They have some good sketches of TSA and customs staff :D to be found on You Tube. I fly to JFK next year. Will have to see how true those sketches are.

Speaking of European airports. CdG. Not a big fan.

redtailshark Aug 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by cagalindo (Post 16935836)
Any airports in particular you always feel the staff is rude at?

I don't fly often, but the 7 or so times I've been by MIA , the staff I talk to are ridiculous. Its not even a certain company or airline, just the staff there in general seem to have too much crap accumulated up their ***.

You're right. MIA is a notorious pit, without any doubt. If it were only the fault of one airline, it might even be called :-: best in class :-:

But again, as you say, it's everyone. The facility is scungy, rats scuttle across the floor, luggage gets lost and raided, the clubs don't seem to have working AC, food choice is dismal, really, the pits.

Ancien Maestro Aug 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by rzsionak (Post 17006384)
FCO, and no US airport comes even close and I've been to most of them mentioned so far many times. It's not so much blatant rudeness as condescension and just the complete uselessness of the staff working there. They will make zero attempt to assist you with any problems and being Italy there are always operational issues. I go through FCO 1-2 times a year and upwards of 20-30% of the time it's a nightmare and it's entirely because of the airport and Alitalia staff.

May I add the feeling of being treated like a number..

sort of like cattle being carried out to auction and food processing..

It wouldn't be so bad if at Customs, they actually treat you like the commercials that they are running on the TV's when you're waiting.. bit of an oxymoron..

rxalexa Aug 28, 2011 4:27 am

MIA is my vote

BadgerBoi Aug 28, 2011 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ls17031 (Post 16975375)
But they're the racist ones, right?

How does their ethnicity matter any more than yours should?

I guess "they all look the same to me" didn't go out with the 1960s after all...

exbayern Aug 28, 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17009314)
May I add the feeling of being treated like a number..

sort of like cattle being carried out to auction and food processing..

It wouldn't be so bad if at Customs, they actually treat you like the commercials that they are running on the TV's when you're waiting.. bit of an oxymoron..

:confused:

How many times a year do you have to wait at customs at FCO that it is an issue? Unless you are importing something on a regular basis, carrying restricted items, or a resident (which I take it you are not from your previous posts) exceeding your allowance, it is as simple as walking through the green channel.

I am back to being very confused by this thread...

Ancien Maestro Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 17011296)
:confused:

How many times a year do you have to wait at customs at FCO that it is an issue? Unless you are importing something on a regular basis, carrying restricted items, or a resident (which I take it you are not from your previous posts) exceeding your allowance, it is as simple as walking through the green channel.

I am back to being very confused by this thread...

LOL! :D

Sorry to add to your confusion.. didn't mean to..

Never been through FCO.. my rant is about is about LAX.. and my 3 hour wait at Customs.. :eek:

krpjr Aug 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by palefire (Post 16957851)
Amen, just what I was going to say. At least, TSA in BOS always seems to have an extra special level of go-F-yourself that I don't see elsewhere; was also true with security in BOS in pre-TSA days, IMHO.

Transited through SFO 2 days ago and TSA guy didn't peep one word!

mjcewl1284 Aug 29, 2011 12:03 am

ATL. Surly people working the help desks that pretty much bark answers at people and are ready to get into verbal altercations at any given moment.