Wiki Posts
Search

Please critique this trip plan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, NZ Airpoints
Please critique this trip plan

About this trip: I'm 18 years old and since I have a 6 month holiday I want to do a trip. This will be my first solo trip although I've travelled a lot (but always to visit family). I made a rough outline for this trip and it would be very helpful if you could give me some advice and suggestions. Maybe stay somewhere longer/shorter/not at all, add a destination, change flights, hotel tip, side trip, etc. I'm not interested in night life. I am not staying in hostels but I am looking for good hotels instead, although that's a bit expensive in SIN and HKG. I was thinking of leaving somewhere in October. Budget: around €5000 = $7000

The itinerary:
BRU to DOH. 2 weeks in Doha to see family.
DOH to HKG. spend 5 days in Hong Kong. (side trip to Macua)
HKG to SIN. Spend 5 days in Singapore.
SIN to KUL. Spend 5 days in Kuala Lumpur.
KUL to BRU

Transport: Qatar airways is the cheapest option for this route. A multiple city booking for BRU-DOH, DOH-HKG, KUL-BRU cost €750. Then for the HKG-SIN leg, Jetstar is quite cheap with €60 one way. For the SIN-KUL leg I was thinking to take the day/night train. It would be nice to fly *A or skyteam (to gain miles) but that's simply too expensive.

So, what do you think? I'm open for any destination as long as it's safe and easy to get around. Btw: I want to visit Asia because I've never been there before.

Thanks very much in advance. I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Continental1
KUL to BRU
I might spend a bit more time in HK and a bit less in Singapore and KL, as HK has more variation in restuarants and things to see, but otherwise this looks good.

If you're feeling more adventurous, you may care to replace KL with Ho Chi Minh City (or Saigon as most local still call it). 7 days in HK, then 4 in Saigon, and then 4 in Singapore (flying home from SIN) would give you a variety of Asian cultures, and enough time to see the key sights and try the key flavours of each city.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My method of looking at airfares is somewhat different than others here who want to earn elite status..

Book the cheapest flights that you can find, and that you are satisfied with..

Cheaper the better.. and if you FF points to burn, I would do the FF redemption first, the cheapest flights second..
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:25 am

KUL to BRU

id suggest you to spend 3 days for singapore .. nothing much there .. just a small island ..
better you spend few days in jakarta , bangkok , penang , melaka , kuala lumpur..
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rasyid
KUL to BRU

id suggest you to spend 3 days for singapore .. nothing much there .. just a small island ..
better you spend few days in jakarta , bangkok , penang , melaka , kuala lumpur..
Singapore is more friendly on mass transit.. so may take a bit more time to see everything..
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks, very helpful. I don't know about Ho Chi Min City since it's my first time in Asia and I don't want to be overwhelmed. So one week in hong kong, 3 days in Singapore and 5 in Kuala Lumpur. What do you think about the train from sin to kl? Is that easy to do for a first timer? I checked the site maninseat61 which I found on this website (very helpful). Thanks so far!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
What do you think about the train from sin to kl? Is that easy to do for a first timer? I checked the site maninseat61 which I found on this website (very helpful). Thanks so far!
I've checked it last year for a spontaneous weekend trip from SIN to KL at the SIN station directely. It's quite simple even if you do the walk in.
We finally decided against train, even if it is the more scenic route and took a coach, as we had only one night to spend in KL and the coach trip was a little bit shorter timewise (and slightly cheaper).

Next time i'd plan more time in KL and take the train.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:34 am

Maybe reconsider your stance on hostels...

Sounds like a pretty good plan! Couple points from my experience. When I was 18 (six years ago wow), I went hosteling around Europe for a few months solo, and had a great time meeting people on my way. I know you mentioned that you would prefer to stay in hotels, and do you as you please.

That being said, I would really recommend trying some hostels and seeing how you like it. The whole point of hostels to me was to meet kids my age, and also like minded travelers. From having someone to explore a city with and a museum buddy, to going out drinking as a group, it would not have been possible had a I stayed in hotels since hotels provide for a sterile environment...not the best for meeting people in. Plus hostels are just so much cheaper! That part is sort of the bonus to be, the best part is just making friends from all around the world.

Something to think about...

Also, I agree with the posters who have mentioned less time in Singapore, three days ought to cover it from my experience. I only spent one day there myself actually when I went.

Either way you choose, hotels or hostels, have a blast and the time of your life! I had the time of my life when I did my similar trip around Europe at that age and made so many friends to boot while doing so.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:55 am
Original Poster

I'll certainly give hostels a second thought. The thing about hostels that I think I won't like are the lack of privacy, cleanliness and safety. This probably isn't true but that's a feeling I have. Another question if you don't mind: is it easy/safe to just walk around in Kuala Lumpur? I have heard some people say it's almost impossible and other people say its pretty easy? Thanks a lot
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Another question if you don't mind: is it easy/safe to just walk around in Kuala Lumpur? I have heard some people say it's almost impossible and other people say its pretty easy? Thanks a lot
I've been to KL a few times and never hesitated to walk around late at night in the KLCC area or Bukit Bintang.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Black Adder
I've been to KL a few times and never hesitated to walk around late at night in the KLCC area or Bukit Bintang.
Seconded. I walked all around central KL both by day and by night, and never felt unsafe. As with any city in a medium-high income country, the pavements can be broken in places (so watch your step), and pedestrian facilities (bridges over busy roads, etc) can be a bit hit-or-miss, but it's not too bad - there are much much worse out there.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Singapore, I've heard you can access Thailand pretty easily..

Enough time, you could trek down there for a bit and check it out..
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:11 am

I'll certainly give hostels a second thought. The thing about hostels that I think I won't like are the lack of privacy, cleanliness and safety. This probably isn't true but that's a feeling I have.
You definitely won't have the privacy of having your own hotel room, that's a given. I've seen hostels with anywhere from four beds per room to ten beds. But the bathrooms have always had plenty of showers and sinks in my experience so I've never had to wait around much if at all.

As for safety, in terms of your own personal safety, I would argue that one is safer overall staying at a hostel. Rather than exploring a city or going out at night by oneself, I always seem to be going out with a group of people I meet at the hostel when I'm staying at one. Accordingly, you are much safer being in a big group.

For security of one's items, theft does occur, but so scarcely that I've never given it a second thought. The stories I've heard were where one had left their ipod out as an example...a crime of opportunity. I always used the provided storage lockers for my valuables when not in use and never had a problem, knock on wood. Basically, if you keep track of your stuff, you more than likely will not have a problem.

Glad to hear you reconsidered and might try a hostel or two. I think you'll have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.