Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

My Wife Now Gets It

My Wife Now Gets It

Old Aug 7, 11, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maui Time View Post
[...]but she caught a glimpse of what status can do for you.
Old Aug 7, 11, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the point is the reward vs the cost (free, unless you pay more to use certain providers) if people cant do the math, thats where it can seem odd

unless youre talking about spending a huge amount of time accumulating few points at a time etc then it does become a perfectly valid question, depending on salary, other responsibilities, etc
Old Aug 7, 11, 11:08 pm

Programs: All of the Above
The Mrs didn't get it until we had enough points to book free flights and hotels for her, her 2 sisters, and her mom to Mexico. Now she's on board, but I don't think as motivated as me. Hopefully once the trip is complete she'll be more pumped.
Old Aug 8, 11, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Regarding your spouse and others like yours, what is so difficult for them to understand? That's a bit bizarre.
Originally Posted by CalVol View Post
Well, yes, it is. If I had to guess it has something to do with not believing it until you experience the benefits in a way that gets your attention. Like I said, up until now, she got a few perks now and then. But, I guess they seemed like one off things to her. Now, she gets an entire week for free and ding, ding, ding, it registers.

Although, from a money perspective, she has gotten more from a seat up front. But, that was for only a few hours and she hates flying. (Although, that big front seat and a bit of personalized attention has softened her attitude a bit)

She's gotten a few free nights while on the road and some nice room upgrades to boot. But, once again, those were one off things.

Unless one experiences something in a way that is really meaningful to them, they won't get it.

That's the best I can do to explain it.
My wife just doesn't understand why I go where the best deal is.. she prefers that I open my wallet and get the trip customized to the T.. for example when we stayed at the Fairmont Newport (one of four hotels) this past trip, she couldn't understand why I couldn't get a flight to the John Wayne airport.

My FF redemption YYC-CUN, I had to fight tooth and nail to make LAX a connection and get an 11 night stopover included with no extra points needed.. thus our Disneyland fix was achieved.. She would rather me pay $3K more to make it more convenient for her.. flying out of John Wayne, when its not a natural stopover for AC..
Old Aug 8, 11, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
My wife didn't get it until we flew IAD-LH-BKK on BA in F. She gets it now!
Old Aug 8, 11, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-are-worth-it/
Old Aug 8, 11, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
My husband blew me off when I asked him to call Capital One and upgrade his current Capital One card to the Venture card for the 100K offer. I would even take care of submitting the 100K statement for him since I manage his AA account for the most part anyways. We left for a trip to Italy soon after so I couldn't continue to pester him and by the time we returned the offer was gone. We just used my $1100 from the offer to offset the incidentals during our Europe trip last week. Every time I took out my Venture Card to pay, he sadly shook his head and said he should've listened to me and made that phone call.

During the planning of this same recent Europe trip, he insisted we pay 450 euros a night for a room whereas I insisted we hotel hop during our domestic trips to earn free nights with SPG's current promotion instead. He did somewhat grumble during the hotel hopping but went along with it. What really made him understand was making a spreadsheet showing how much money we actually spend on our vacations and where my FT-tricks where saving us some serious $$$. He makes spreadsheets for a living and after seeing mine, I think a tiny light bulb turned on somewhere in his brain.

He still doesn't understand EQM and why I was mad that he didn't fly his AA flight like he was supposed to and instead let them book him onto DL during a flight issue. I had flown separately earlier in the day so I wasn't there to babysit him through this mess. I just did the math and this one flight is probably going to cost him the difference between nothing and Gold on AA unless I take him on a mileage run. All of this is to him. And since he doesn't really understand a mileage run, it means I have to put a hotel stay in there and tell him that we are going on a very short vacation.

So he now sorta gets it. But we've only been married for a little over a year so there is lifetime of training ahead of us.
Old Aug 8, 11, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu View Post
Never understood people who have a credit card, especially with rewards, who use a debit card.

Actually, aside from people who know they can't handle credit, don't understand people who use debit cards.
Several studies have shown that people spend more using debit cards vs. cash and more using credit cards vs cash. The most eye popping one I've seen is at McDonald's the average ticket for debit cards was 28% higher than the average cash price and credit cards was about 40% higher.
Old Aug 8, 11, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by sent View Post
He still doesn't understand EQM and why I was mad that he didn't fly his AA flight like he was supposed to and instead let them book him onto DL during a flight issue. I had flown separately earlier in the day so I wasn't there to babysit him through this mess. I just did the math and this one flight is probably going to cost him the difference between nothing and Gold on AA unless I take him on a mileage run. All of this is to him. And since he doesn't really understand a mileage run, it means I have to put a hotel stay in there and tell him that we are going on a very short vacation.

So he now sorta gets it. But we've only been married for a little over a year so there is lifetime of training ahead of us.
Couldn't you call AA for original routing mileage credit if it was due to a flight mess and they rebooked him ?
Old Aug 8, 11, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
Several studies have shown that people spend more using debit cards vs. cash and more using credit cards vs cash. The most eye popping one I've seen is at McDonald's the average ticket for debit cards was 28% higher than the average cash price and credit cards was about 40% higher.
As I said, cash or debit cards are for people who do not understand how to use credit. Only using a credit card to buy something that you would pay cash for is the secret. Making money on the float, plus awards, make it sweet.
Old Aug 8, 11, 3:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Husband was totally on board after our first F on LH this summer with a visit to the FCT. He does prefer I do the work/research but is happy to do as I ask for miles, points, etc.
Old Aug 8, 11, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu View Post
As I said, cash or debit cards are for people who do not understand how to use credit. Only using a credit card to buy something that you would pay cash for is the secret. Making money on the float, plus awards, make it sweet.

Using plastic is a method that lends to more spending. I'm not talking about buying a $5000 item that you couldn't afford to buy with cash. I'm talking about buying the $6 item with plastic vs. the $5 item with cash. Adds up fast over the course of a year.
Old Aug 9, 11, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sent View Post
My husband blew me off when I asked him to call Capital One and upgrade his current Capital One card to the Venture card for the 100K offer. I would even take care of submitting the 100K statement for him since I manage his AA account for the most part anyways. We left for a trip to Italy soon after so I couldn't continue to pester him and by the time we returned the offer was gone. We just used my $1100 from the offer to offset the incidentals during our Europe trip last week. Every time I took out my Venture Card to pay, he sadly shook his head and said he should've listened to me and made that phone call.

During the planning of this same recent Europe trip, he insisted we pay 450 euros a night for a room whereas I insisted we hotel hop during our domestic trips to earn free nights with SPG's current promotion instead. He did somewhat grumble during the hotel hopping but went along with it. What really made him understand was making a spreadsheet showing how much money we actually spend on our vacations and where my FT-tricks where saving us some serious $$$. He makes spreadsheets for a living and after seeing mine, I think a tiny light bulb turned on somewhere in his brain.

If he likes to travel.. he will learn..
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Couldn't you call AA for original routing mileage credit if it was due to a flight mess and they rebooked him ?
I did that as soon as we got home. That's when I learned that AA had rebooked him from the cancelled mechanical flight at LGA to another AA flight at JFK. At JFK, he missed this AA flight at which time they rebooked him on DL and thus no EQM for him bc they tried to put him on an AA flight and too bad he couldn't take it.

He told me he missed the AA flight at JFK bc he didn't make it to JFK in time. Only after speaking to the agent did he fess up that he had missed the AA flight bc he wandered away from the gate and the flight which was showing as delayed ended up departing earlier than posted.

What's funny is that while my husband was wandering away from the gate at JFK missing his flight, my friend's husband was doing the same thing at YEG (Edmonton) missing his flight as well. Seems like neither of our husbands really wanted fly to ORD and join us that weekend!

Last edited by sent; Aug 9, 11 at 4:03 am
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
If he likes to travel.. he will learn..
He loves to travel.... but his travel habit was making me broke! Only after I made the spreadsheets detailing exactly how much we were spending did he finally start going along with my ideas to help keep some more $$$ in our pockets while still being able to go and stay where he wants.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: