Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

16 year old solo on international flight

Old Jul 28, 11, 1:04 am
Original Poster

So I just booked a flight from New York to Amsterdam to visit friends over there, and I'm wondering if I'll have any issues as a 16 year old flying solo. There's not a whole lot of info online about this, so I thought I might as well ask on a discussion forum like this. It's a "Delta" flight "Operated by KLM". I already have a passport. Are there any other documents that I would need to/should bring with me? Any special regulations I should know about?

I know all the general regulations and stuff, I've flown domestically quite a few times and internationally once before, but this is my first solo trip.

Thanks!

Last edited by -Doug-; Jul 28, 11 at 1:30 am
Old Jul 28, 11, 1:46 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Most important thing for you:

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
Old Jul 28, 11, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
The US government has no right whatsoever to test people in European countries so this should be nonsense, but I am not suprised if that is the case..

To the OP, operated by KLM means that you will fly KLM and not Delta, but the flight is a codeshare with Delta. In practice it does not mean alot, it is just that the flight has a Delta flightnumber aswell as a KLM flightnumber. That is common with partners like KLM and Delta are in the Skyteam alliance. American citizens do not need a visa to visit Schengen for up to 3 months so your passport is all you need. In most cases they will just stamp you in (as opposed to foreigners visiting the United States).

Last edited by William S; Jul 28, 11 at 2:06 am
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:02 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
People can't take a joke...
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:04 am
Original Poster

There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.
Urine tests? Was that some kind of joke to scare me?

Anyway, I'm well aware of the liberality of Amsterdam in terms of drug use, and I wont be participating in any of it. I'm not your average gullible/mindless teenager.
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:07 am

Programs: CX
Know the address of where you are going, and basically be able to explain clearly to the immigration officer how a 16 year old is going to have a place to stay and money to live off of, etc. But Schengen officers aren't likely to be too strict, especially AMS.
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
While I'm not aware of a rule like that in .nl (doesn't mean there isn't...), as you're under 18 it might be a good idea to carry a signed letter from your parent(s) saying they are happy with your travel. Could stop things getting awkward.
Old Jul 28, 11, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others

Watch out!
What a complete load of malarky. The US government has no jurisdiction at Amsterdam airport (or anywhere else outside the US), and no one is going to test your urine. Where do you get this?
Old Jul 28, 11, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by pacer142 View Post
While I'm not aware of a rule like that in .nl (doesn't mean there isn't...), as you're under 18 it might be a good idea to carry a signed letter from your parent(s) saying they are happy with your travel. Could stop things getting awkward.
This is probably not a bad idea, just to be on the safe side. It's easier to have it and not have to need it than to not have it and have someone ask if your parents are happy with your travel.
Old Jul 28, 11, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I have flown solo since age 14 and age has never been an issue. You won't be close to the only 16-year old on your flight.

The only thing that is potentially problematic and is unlikely given the nature of your route is that if your flight is diverted other than to AMS, very few hotels and none of the chains which tend to populate airports, will acommodate an unaccompanied minor (under 18) without an adult physically present. So have a plan to handle one night on your own.
Old Jul 28, 11, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by londonelite View Post
what a complete load of malarky. The us government has no jurisdiction at amsterdam airport (or anywhere else outside the us), and no one is going to test your urine. Where do you get this?
It was a joke. =)
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:14 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
It's not uncommon for 15 and 16 year olds to travel by themself in Europe. I have friends living in the UK whose 15 y/o went to other countries by themselves, or in small groups. Happens quite frequently.
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:28 am
Suspended

Watch out!
Just so you know, this is a lie.
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by -Doug- View Post
So I just booked a flight from New York to Amsterdam to visit friends over there, and I'm wondering if I'll have any issues as a 16 year old flying solo. There's not a whole lot of info online about this, so I thought I might as well ask on a discussion forum like this. It's a "Delta" flight "Operated by KLM". I already have a passport. Are there any other documents that I would need to/should bring with me? Any special regulations I should know about?

I know all the general regulations and stuff, I've flown domestically quite a few times and internationally once before, but this is my first solo trip.

Thanks!
As a person who is younger and going solo, you have a better chance of your seat being poached, or of an FA kicking you out of it to satisfy another passenger. When I was young they always targetted me for this. Stand your ground, ask to speak to the GA, and make sure that the seat they try to kick you to is of equal or better value.
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
OP, you shouldn't have any problems but like other posters suggested the parental consent letter may help you out of a tough situation! In Europe as long as you behave like an adult you'll be treated like one.

Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
As a person who is younger and going solo, you have a better chance of your seat being poached, or of an FA kicking you out of it to satisfy another passenger. When I was young they always targetted me for this. Stand your ground, ask to speak to the GA, and make sure that the seat they try to kick you to is of equal or better value.
+1, I still have to deal with this in my early 20s!

Search this Thread