Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

16 year old solo on international flight

16 year old solo on international flight

Old Jul 28, 11, 1:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
16 year old solo on international flight

So I just booked a flight from New York to Amsterdam to visit friends over there, and I'm wondering if I'll have any issues as a 16 year old flying solo. There's not a whole lot of info online about this, so I thought I might as well ask on a discussion forum like this. It's a "Delta" flight "Operated by KLM". I already have a passport. Are there any other documents that I would need to/should bring with me? Any special regulations I should know about?

I know all the general regulations and stuff, I've flown domestically quite a few times and internationally once before, but this is my first solo trip.

Thanks!

Last edited by -Doug-; Jul 28, 11 at 1:30 am
-Doug- is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 1:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,472
Most important thing for you:

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
Jimgotkp is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 1:58 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Most important thing for you:

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
The US government has no right whatsoever to test people in European countries so this should be nonsense, but I am not suprised if that is the case..

To the OP, operated by KLM means that you will fly KLM and not Delta, but the flight is a codeshare with Delta. In practice it does not mean alot, it is just that the flight has a Delta flightnumber aswell as a KLM flightnumber. That is common with partners like KLM and Delta are in the Skyteam alliance. American citizens do not need a visa to visit Schengen for up to 3 months so your passport is all you need. In most cases they will just stamp you in (as opposed to foreigners visiting the United States).

Last edited by William S; Jul 28, 11 at 2:06 am
William S is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:02 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,472
People can't take a joke...
Jimgotkp is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:04 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Most important thing for you:
There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.
Urine tests? Was that some kind of joke to scare me?

Anyway, I'm well aware of the liberality of Amsterdam in terms of drug use, and I wont be participating in any of it. I'm not your average gullible/mindless teenager.
-Doug- is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:07 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,683
Know the address of where you are going, and basically be able to explain clearly to the immigration officer how a 16 year old is going to have a place to stay and money to live off of, etc. But Schengen officers aren't likely to be too strict, especially AMS.
CX HK is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Posts: 1,762
While I'm not aware of a rule like that in .nl (doesn't mean there isn't...), as you're under 18 it might be a good idea to carry a signed letter from your parent(s) saying they are happy with your travel. Could stop things getting awkward.
pacer142 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 5:00 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,128
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Most important thing for you:

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
What a complete load of malarky. The US government has no jurisdiction at Amsterdam airport (or anywhere else outside the US), and no one is going to test your urine. Where do you get this?
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 7:25 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 40,159
Originally Posted by pacer142 View Post
While I'm not aware of a rule like that in .nl (doesn't mean there isn't...), as you're under 18 it might be a good idea to carry a signed letter from your parent(s) saying they are happy with your travel. Could stop things getting awkward.
This is probably not a bad idea, just to be on the safe side. It's easier to have it and not have to need it than to not have it and have someone ask if your parents are happy with your travel.
kipper is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 7:40 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,329
I have flown solo since age 14 and age has never been an issue. You won't be close to the only 16-year old on your flight.

The only thing that is potentially problematic and is unlikely given the nature of your route is that if your flight is diverted other than to AMS, very few hotels and none of the chains which tend to populate airports, will acommodate an unaccompanied minor (under 18) without an adult physically present. So have a plan to handle one night on your own.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 8:15 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by londonelite View Post
what a complete load of malarky. The us government has no jurisdiction at amsterdam airport (or anywhere else outside the us), and no one is going to test your urine. Where do you get this?
It was a joke. =)
jaimelannister is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:14 am
  #12  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to Florida...bye London
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 4,924
It's not uncommon for 15 and 16 year olds to travel by themself in Europe. I have friends living in the UK whose 15 y/o went to other countries by themselves, or in small groups. Happens quite frequently.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:28 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,098
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Most important thing for you:

Don't go to the coffee shops and participate in those activities. There are special US government agents at Amsterdam Airport who will test your urine for use of illegal drugs.

Watch out!
Just so you know, this is a lie.
pinworm is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:30 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,098
Originally Posted by -Doug- View Post
So I just booked a flight from New York to Amsterdam to visit friends over there, and I'm wondering if I'll have any issues as a 16 year old flying solo. There's not a whole lot of info online about this, so I thought I might as well ask on a discussion forum like this. It's a "Delta" flight "Operated by KLM". I already have a passport. Are there any other documents that I would need to/should bring with me? Any special regulations I should know about?

I know all the general regulations and stuff, I've flown domestically quite a few times and internationally once before, but this is my first solo trip.

Thanks!
As a person who is younger and going solo, you have a better chance of your seat being poached, or of an FA kicking you out of it to satisfy another passenger. When I was young they always targetted me for this. Stand your ground, ask to speak to the GA, and make sure that the seat they try to kick you to is of equal or better value.
pinworm is offline  
Old Jul 28, 11, 9:35 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 2,340
OP, you shouldn't have any problems but like other posters suggested the parental consent letter may help you out of a tough situation! In Europe as long as you behave like an adult you'll be treated like one.

Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
As a person who is younger and going solo, you have a better chance of your seat being poached, or of an FA kicking you out of it to satisfy another passenger. When I was young they always targetted me for this. Stand your ground, ask to speak to the GA, and make sure that the seat they try to kick you to is of equal or better value.
+1, I still have to deal with this in my early 20s!
BryanIAH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread