To recline or not to recline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR

I've been flying since I was two years old and have the Mileage Plus number to prove it (00100 series), and have been reclining my seat ever since.

During my days as a high-falutin' consultant in 2000 travelling on Y fares on 37-seat ERJs, I reclined. When I switched to paid FC A fares, I reclined. When I flew enough in 2001 to earn top level elite on one airline and maintain mid level on another, I reclined.

I recently learned that some people consider reclining one's seat to be a grave offence. Therefore, I wish to resurrect that discussion: should I continue to recline my seat with impunity, or am I inflicting a grievous offence on my fellow travellers (whether in F or Y) when I recline my seat after take-off?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:40 pm

I almost never recline in coach, but I'm 6'5", and that's the reason why. In business or first I will recline with "impunity." In cattle class, even when you are small the space you have is tiny, and reclining gives you a modicum amount of comfort at a big expense for the person behind you. Sometimes I limp off flights because the person in front of me is constantly trying to eek out another inch or two, grinding my knees down.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I almost never recline in coach, but I'm 6'5", and that's the reason why. In business or first I will recline with "impunity." In cattle class, even when you are small the space you have is tiny, and reclining gives you a modicum amount of comfort at a big expense for the person behind you. Sometimes I limp off flights because the person in front of me is constantly trying to eek out another inch or two, grinding my knees down.
And therein lies the rub. I don't really have any idea how I might be affecting the person behind me, and I also have no control over if the person in front of me chooses to recline their seat. (If they do, I have even more of a need to recline mine own.)

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2".
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
its fine to recline, but not during drink service....just ease it back & don't bounce....and don't complain when the person behind you jostles the seat back while trying to get out to the loo....
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recline when and where I feel like it. When reclining, I go back slowly so as not to jar the person behind me. But otherwise, I figure that the aircraft designers have restricted the recline amounts enough to not impede safety. Coach is already not very comfortable, so what's a little added discomfort?

If the person in front of me has reclined, I pretty much have to do it myself or there's just not enough room.

If the person behind me asked very nicely for me to move up a bit, I would. Nobody ever has.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: none
If the person behind you is a DYWKIA, you can recline, but expect to be written up on FT. Otherwise it's OK.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I recline when and where I feel like it. When reclining, I go back slowly so as not to jar the person behind me. But otherwise, I figure that the aircraft designers have restricted the recline amounts enough to not impede safety. Coach is already not very comfortable, so what's a little added discomfort?

If the person in front of me has reclined, I pretty much have to do it myself or there's just not enough room.
This is my problem with your thinking: You say that coach is not comfortable, so what is a "little" added discomfort, but then say that you "pretty much have" to recline if someone reclines in front of you. Why? It's only a "little" discomfort.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Rule #1 of reclining: Always check whether the person behind you has a laptop out for use before slamming your ... back.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Joshua
]Therefore, I wish to resurrect that discussion:
Why? What do you hope to accomplish that the other countless didn't resolve?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I recline when and where I feel like it.
Of course you do - it's your choice and it's always all about "ME."
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
We've had several recent, lengthy discussions on this identical subject. This first one, involving 60 posts was closed for reasons which showed that the members were unable to discuss the subject without attacking other members. Sadly, this has been a common result when discussing this topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ette-ques.html

This other one, still open, provides still another and recent discussion on the subject. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ist-fight.html

These are merely the latest comprehensive discussions on the subject.

The above discussions, together with the replies already in this thread should give the OP a 360-view of the topic and this thread is closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.