Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What time of the day is there the most people in an international airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

i am trying to figure out when there would be the least people in immigration lines...

does it follow a normal distribution starting from early morning, with most people at 12pm, then fall back towards late night?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by calista
i am trying to figure out when there would be the least people in immigration lines...

does it follow a normal distribution starting from early morning, with most people at 12pm, then fall back towards late night?
Depends on where you are taking about. At 2am local time, Atlanta is a ghost town... but at 2am in Dubai, the airport is packed.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:37 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The least number of people in customs and immigration lines would coincide with the time(s) when no or the fewest international flights arrive at that airport.

This in turn depends on the flight schedules of the aircraft arriving at that airport, also taking into account irregular operations at the departing or arriving airport.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
At certain airports, one airline dominates arrivals. For example, US Airways in Philadelphia. You can review their schedule to see when your flight arrives. It might be one of the first to arrive.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you have the answer if its a general ?....do you have a ? re a specific airport ?....
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Keep in mind as well, that immigration authorities in many countries also match staffing to the number of scheduled flights coming in. The worst time for immigration at any airport is when there are unexpected flights arriving due to delays or early arrivals.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Well, here are some exceedingly general trends, at least for the U-S:

1. Transatlantic flights typically arrive from Europe in the mid-afternoon.

2. Flights to beach destinations (Mexico, Caribbean) typically depart from the US in the morning and return late afternoon. This adds to the busyness in airports that have a lot of Europe flights.

3. Inbound flights from South America typically arrive first thing in the morning. So the relative handful of airports that have these flights can be very busy in the 5-8 a.m. range.

4. Flights from Asia are all over the map in terms of arrivals.

Conclusion: Try to arrive at customs between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m., or at roughly 10:25 in the morning.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
As others have said, it really depends on the airport. At YVR, most of the heavies from Asia come in from late morning to early afternoon, with the heavies from Europe coming in mid-to-late afternoon, so that would be the busiest time in arrivals.

In terms of YVR departures to USA, the transborder USA pre-clearance area is busiest in the morning, with the east-bound narrowbodies departing. It's stupidly busy in the summer on weekend mornings, as the Kettles all head home after being disgorged from their cruise ships.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Less people in many cases means way fewer lines open, so the wait may be longer.

It also depends on where the planes in front of you are coming from
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by calista

I went to the airport earlier and it was very busy. It's usually busier later, except for those days when there are fewer people around. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:11 pm
Suspended

For europe, avoid morning arrivals. This is when the flights from North America get in. For north America, morning to noon arrivals are best, especially on the east coast. On the west coast, avoid late afternoon to evening and mornings from 6-10 as the transpacs get in.

Asia, avoid early afternoon,.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Does anyone have a link of the vid that shows all airplanes around the planet? It was like 1-2min video snapshot of a 24h day. Showed the paths around the world pretty good. It doesn't really answer your question but can give you a general idea.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:43 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Yet another great post by the OP! ^^
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL,EK
And Pyongyang is busy a few days each week when the flight to Beijing arrives or departs... at other times nobody is there.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:29 am

You cant really correlate immigration times with arrival times. Sometimes the dayshift has plenty of officers working while the graveyard shift is horribly understaffed.

Research your destination.... Better yet just tell us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.