Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lay-flat seat to SYD/AKL from California

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Best lay-flat seat to SYD/AKL from California

We're planning a trip to Australia and possibly NZ in Nov-Dec from San Jose, California. My primary consideration for choosing an airline is finding the most comfortable biz-class seat for the trip because of a chronic pain condition.

Air NZ has a flight SFO-AKL which is a shorter trip of 12 hours; this flight is on a 747-400 class (some good pictures here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12023217-post30.html).

V Australia LAX-SYD has a different type of seat on the Boeing 777 which apparently has a partial recline, some good pics here: http://www.theage.com.au/photogaller...0226-8ir2.html

Of course, using V Australia trip requires first traveling SJC-LAX, and then a 15-hour trip vs. 12, so this option adds about six hours to the total travel time.

Would appreciate any information on the two seat options and any other thoughts you might share.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Are you particularly excluding Qantas from your calculations? The A380 Skybed MkII is fully flat, and the 747 and A330 versions are good as well (slightly sloped but fully flat).

There is an A330 service LAX - AKL, and 747 and A380 services LAX-SYD.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lass/global/en
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

No, I don't mean to exclude Qantas. I think I got away from them because my travel agent, who is an "expert" in Australia, indicated that she thinks ANZ and Virgin are better airline choices. Thanks for that link - those Skybed seats look pretty good.

The 747-400 seats concern me a bit because from reading and photos, it seems that they don't recline much and have no footrest. I see pictures of people using the 'ottoman' side chair as a footrest, but that wouldn't be comfortable for me. Also you're either sitting upright in the seat, or you flip the seat forward to make a bed and nothing in between. I'd prefer the option to have a partial-recline, like watching TV in bed, which the Virgin 777 seats and also the Qantas Skybed appear to have. Wish I could get that type of seat on the shorter flight from SFO-AKL.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT!

UA has great flat beds in C to SYD which are truly horizontal (unlike Qantas and V Australia) - not sure why your "expert" TA omitted them as well.

ANZ seats are fully horizontal as well but with herringbone configuration vs side by side on UA. For couples UA seating may be better but ANZ on average offers significantly better overall service. Obviously you have to route via AKL.

AFAIK all seats on all airlines mentioned allow all sorts of adjustable reclining seating position.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
Welcome to FT!

UA has great flat beds in C to SYD which are truly horizontal (unlike Qantas and V Australia) - not sure why your "expert" TA omitted them as well.....
QF A380 J seats are truly horizontal and superior to the UA flat beds ... the QF 744 seats are previous generation and flat but not horizontal. All the transpac airlines offer J seats that are very comfy for partial recline (which is full recline compared to Y), the only one with an advantage is QF with a builtin massager (on both 744 and A380).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.