FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Buying ticket for someone else - who gets FF miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1235657-buying-ticket-someone-else-who-gets-ff-miles.html)

ejricher Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Buying ticket for someone else - who gets FF miles?

If I pay for a ticket for someone else to use, do I get the frequent flyer miles or does she? Thanks

guv1976 Jul 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

She gets the miles, but only if her FFP account number is associated with the ticket.

If you purchase her ticket with a credit card that earns frequent-flyer miles, you will earn miles based on the cost of the ticket, but not for the flight itself.

number_6 Jul 10, 2011 11:40 pm

The person flying gets the FF miles.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Unless you have the same name, the person flying gets them. Or you could create a FF account for the person, and have control of it, and book awards out of it. :)

ejricher Jul 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Thank you guys

Ancien Maestro Jul 11, 2011 1:32 am

Yeah.. the person who's flying gets the miles..

It used to be flexible.. but FF programs have evolved more personalized..

Maybe your friend can return the favor another way..

shiv666 Jul 18, 2011 2:20 pm

The person doing the actual flying.

BUT

Some FFPs allow members to transfer miles to other members.

clacko Jul 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ejricher (Post 16706236)
If I pay for a ticket for someone else to use, do I get the frequent flyer miles or does she? Thanks

if you have the same names, either ff # might work if it was entered by mistake...

Ancien Maestro Jul 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 16751342)
if you have the same names, either ff # might work if it was entered by mistake...

Chances of this is next to slim?

Curious.. has anyone ever been able to do this? Having the same name?

AllanJ Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

The airlines don't want one person, for example a parent, buying tickets for several other people, for example his children, and accumulating all the frequent flyer miles in his own account for bigger and better awards.

My father flew a lot and from time to time bought tickets for the (grown) family. My brother flies very little and his miles expired.

xolinlevh Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am

Or book 2 tickets, the trip she is taking BUT put your name down, and a refundable full fare ticket in her name. She uses the ticket in her name to clear security, then cancel it once inside, then board the plane using the ticket in your name. She flys, you get credit.

sbbutler93 Jul 21, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16754106)

I remember reading a post here a couple months back about a father/son, Sr/Jr deal that they got away with for quite some time.

aktchi Jul 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ejricher (Post 16706236)

Let's say you charge $300 on your airline co-branded credit card to buy the ticket. She flies 1000 miles on that ticket.

In this scenario, you'd get the miles that come from spending $300 on your credit card, and she'd get the miles due from 1000 miles of flying.

nerd Jul 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16754106)

About 10 years ago I bought a United ticket for my sister, who has the same first initial and last name as I do. I entered my MP number, and earned miles for the trip.

Interpol Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 16770013)
Or book 2 tickets, the trip she is taking BUT put your name down, and a refundable full fare ticket in her name. She uses the ticket in her name to clear security, then cancel it once inside, then board the plane using the ticket in your name. She flys, you get credit.

...until she tries to use the ticket again to fly the return leg of a roundtrip.

Ancien Maestro Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 16769996)
The airlines don't want one person, for example a parent, buying tickets for several other people, for example his children, and accumulating all the frequent flyer miles in his own account for bigger and better awards.

My father flew a lot and from time to time bought tickets for the (grown) family. My brother flies very little and his miles expired.

It would be nice to allow families to be able to do this.. would enhance loyalty within airline programs..

But where would it stop.. and that's probably why airlines don't allow consolidation normally..

uoficowboy Jul 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbbutler93 (Post 16770260)
I remember reading a post here a couple months back about a father/son, Sr/Jr deal that they got away with for quite some time.

Being intentionally vague here - but somebody I know (not related to me) does this all the time and very much enjoys the benefits of his dad's top level status.

So somebody mentioned that some FF programs allow transfers of miles. Do any allow this for free?

BamaDude Jul 22, 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by uoficowboy (Post 16774438)
So somebody mentioned that some FF programs allow transfers of miles. Do any allow this for free?

Excellent question.

Furthermore, among FF programs that allow the transfer of miles between individual accounts but charge for that service, is the charge levied in miles or in cash, and is it typically done for a flat fee or is the fee related to the number of miles transferred?

aktchi Jul 22, 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by BamaDude (Post 16774763)
Furthermore, among FF programs that allow the transfer of miles between individual accounts but charge for that service, is the charge levied in miles or in cash, and is it typically done for a flat fee or is the fee related to the number of miles transferred?

Must vary carrier to carrier, but at AA, you have to pay cash. The amount is related to how many miles are being transferred plus a flat fee per transaction. There is a limit to how many miles can be transferred per transaction and also per year, etc. I looked at it and decided it wasn't a great deal for us.

ralfp Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by uoficowboy (Post 16774438)

AFAIK OZ and KE have family plans. I believe OZ allows free mileage transfers to family members (not sure about KE). OTOH they don't allow you to book reward tickets for people not related to you.

godlovesugly Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16774214)
It would be nice to allow families to be able to do this.. would enhance loyalty within airline programs..

But where would it stop.. and that's probably why airlines don't allow consolidation normally..

With BA you can have household accounts where the miles are pooled, good for families who don't mind hefty fuel surcharges. :D

Ancien Maestro Jul 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by BamaDude (Post 16774763)
Excellent question.

I know AC ran a few promos in the past doing transfers no charge or very low cost.. but transferring miles cheaply or free is more the exception than the rule..

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 16779173)
With BA you can have household accounts where the miles are pooled, good for families who don't mind hefty fuel surcharges. :D

This is a good feature.. and for someone who's ok with AC fees.. I'm sure BA could serve me well.. unfortunately, no BA products that is practical in Canada..

u2fan Jul 25, 2011 9:35 am

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 16779173)

Could you pool these miles and book an AA flight? - and avoid the surcharges.

Ancien Maestro Jul 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by u2fan (Post 16793270)

Last couple of days.. my interest for a mini rtw has perked up..

We got enough between my wife and I to take the entire family on a mini rtw Y.. I think we can redeem points AE from both accounts for one itinerary.. and calling him is probably the only option to get the bookings done..

Or is there another way I'm missing..

My wife and I both have 150K minimum each..

mrahul Mar 25, 2013 12:28 am

Originally Posted by u2fan (Post 16793270)

for domestic US travel on AA, there is no YQ.For transatlantic, there is fuel charge.
No fuel charge for travel to south america too.No close in ticketing fee if travel within 21 days too.