FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Best Rental Car Company for under 25yr old (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1235641-best-rental-car-company-under-25yr-old.html)

ssafro1 Jul 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Best Rental Car Company for under 25yr old

(MODS-- feel free to move)

I am 23, and will be traveling to Dallas at the end of July to condo hunt. I will begin my job in Sept with a Big4 Accounting firm. I have never rented a car before but have lived in Dallas. I am aware that many rental car companies charge a big fee for under 25 drivers.

Does anyone know of a company that does not do this? Or waives the fee with proof of insurance, etc?

Thanks for the suggestions.

cordelli Jul 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Check out the Hertz Deal here for 20 to 24 year olds

Hertz Now Rents to 20 Year Olds! Save Up to $25 a Day

Congratulations! Here’s your opportunity to rent from Hertz without paying a Young Renter fee. (No fee means you’ll save $15 to $25 a day, depending on the car class you drive.)

Just include PC# 144314 in your reservation and pick up your vehicle on or before September 30, 2011. It’s that easy. The Young Renter Fee may appear on your reservation confirmation, but will be deducted at time of rental.

ssafro1 Jul 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Wow!!

I think we may have a winner here! They normally would charge $60/day extra (OUCH)--but it looks like they wipe that. T&Cs are a bit unclear but I don't see anything too harsh in there. May have to give them a call to confirm any limitations.

Arthur Randolph Jul 10, 2011 10:45 pm

There's also the Hertz Family Gold offer. You get the underage differential waived as part of a CDP and you get Gold for free.

ibor132 Jul 10, 2011 10:55 pm

It's not ideal if you need to be picky about vehicle or company, but I've used Priceline to rent cars for work a few times (I'm 23 also) and the rate I got through Priceline has always included any underage driver fees.

It also carried the advantage in my case that I could have my boss prepay for the rental with his credit card.

YMMV of course, I've not checked the T&Cs to see if this is specifically allowed, but you are required to enter the age of the driver while making the reservation so I suspect it is.

DrMaturin Jul 11, 2011 7:14 am

Will you be paying for the car or will someone else (e.g. parents)? Most rental companies where I live won't rent to under-25's unless the renter pays with his or her own credit card. I tried unsuccessfully to rent a car for my 21 year old son but was unable to do so since he doesn't have his own card (debit cards won't do).

ssafro1 Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by DrMaturin (Post 16707353)
Will you be paying for the car or will someone else (e.g. parents)? Most rental companies where I live won't rent to under-25's unless the renter pays with his or her own credit card. I tried unsuccessfully to rent a car for my 21 year old son but was unable to do so since he doesn't have his own card (debit cards won't do).

I have my own CC... so that shouldn't be a problem.

swag Jul 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Have you contacted your future employer to ask them? Many big companies have rental car rate plans that waive underage driver fees. It's possible that as a future employee, this could be extended to you as well.

And let me be the first here to offer an early Welcome to Dallas.

Feel free to post over in the South forum here if you need any advice about the area.

ssafro1 Jul 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 16709234)
Have you contacted your future employer to ask them? Many big companies have rental car rate plans that waive underage driver fees. It's possible that as a future employee, this could be extended to you as well.

And let me be the first here to offer an early Welcome to Dallas.

Feel free to post over in the South forum here if you need any advice about the area.

Wow..I had not even thought of that. Great suggestion, I will shoot my HR lady an email.

Thanks for the welcome--looking forward to attending any future Dallas DOs.

Ted S Jul 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I've been the 23 yearold on the company trip and sometimes you just don't want to mention that you're that young but in the case of a relo they should know this coming in and have something to offer up.

If not, enterprise always rented 18+ when I needed a car. You can prepay it so there's no shocker at the door.

pinniped Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

I'd almost guarantee that your Big4 firm has it's own CDP that includes under 25's. I worked for a Big5 (at the time) when I was 21 and always had my full selection of Hertz, Avis, and National.

These firms hire TONS of new grads and have 'em travel often. This is a pretty normal situation.

Only limitation: I always had to use the company CDP. 99% of the time, that was fine - I was always able to get appropriate weekend rates when they were lower, plus use most normal coupon codes - but I ran into issues back then when redeeming free rental days because the free days changed the underlying contract ID. (Not sure if that's still true.)

Nice to know that Hertz has an easy option (the PC code) if the timing of the rental creates some funkiness with getting you into the corporate travel system.