Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when European hotel insists on charging in US dollars

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Same here. The NFC on my credit card gets put to good use on a daily basis!

I would agree with others on the original topic, though - if you detect DCC (by a non-local currency appearing), decline the transaction and escalate if necessary. It's nothing short of a scam in my eyes.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
you paid for a $9 meal on a card?
Yeah, what's the problem with that? Unless you're trying to guard your privacy by using cash.

I must say I've never had anyone charge me in my home currency without asking me - I always get the option (it usually comes up on the card reader) and I always choose local. I have to review our card statements every month so I try to warn our subsidiary card holders not to fall for the "home currency" option too.

I will pay more attention next time I'm in Ireland though. Last time I was there somebody bought several rounds of drinks after midnight in Temple Bar on my card and I have NO RECOLLECTION AT ALL (apart from a headache and dry throat).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stut
Same here. The NFC on my credit card gets put to good use on a daily basis!

I would agree with others on the original topic, though - if you detect DCC (by a non-local currency appearing), decline the transaction and escalate if necessary. It's nothing short of a scam in my eyes.
The worst scam aspect of this that I have almost been subjected to is usually at hotels: adjust the USD rate into local currency (or from local currency into USD terms) at some lousy exchange rate and then combining that with DCC.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The worst scam aspect of this that I have almost been subjected to is usually at hotels: adjust the USD rate into local currency (or from local currency into USD terms) at some lousy exchange rate and then combining that with DCC.
Same experience here. What's doubly galling about it is when your CCs still charge a conversion percentage as it's a cost incurred outside your home country (regardless of the currency).

It seems to have replaced the older scam where hotels would quote you a rate in EUR (or USD or whatever), but charge you in local currency. However, rather than the EUR value being an indication of the rate at the time of booking, they hotel would convert the EUR to local currency, using a rate in their favour, at the time of booking, and the final sum could be a good amount higher than the rate quoted.

What's also odd is that I've recently been offered DCC in my own country.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why is there an expectation that hotels should be charging anything but the local currency?
Excluding a short list of countries that is what the rates will be normally quoted in unless you use a site that does some kind of conversion... but the contract is in the local currency.

It's DCC that's the problem.

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 12, 2013 at 4:54 am
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why is there an expectation that hotels should be charging anything but the local currency?
Excluding a short list of countries that is what the rates will be normally quoted in unless you use a site that does some kind of conversion... but the contract is in the local currency.
This used to be my experience in pre-Eurozone central and eastern Europe. Not a website issue - some hotels would quote exclusively in EUR, and do the conversion from their EUR rates at payment time. Thus the local rate would vary according to the exchange rate of the day, and be loaded in the hotel's favour.

I haven't seen it for years, and agree the DCC is now the more common scam.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by TimothyTaylorLandlord
you paid for a $9 meal on a card?

GHU
Virtually everything I purchase goes on my Amex no matter how small the value.

Paying by cash still has a cost for the retailer, even if it didn't I'd still use a card.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beergut
Virtually everything I purchase goes on my Amex no matter how small the value.

Paying by cash still has a cost for the retailer, even if it didn't I'd still use a card.
Accepting cash indeed does still have a cost for the seller, including (amongst other things) that of cash handling costs and loss/theft costs. Whether or not such cash-acceptance costs exceed the card-acceptance costs (of a fixed slip fee + % of transaction value) will vary based on the circumstances of the transaction.

In Sweden, many banks charge customers -- sometimes even business customers -- for cash handling. Some banks in the market even refuse to handle cash deposits from retail bank customers. The cost of cash-acceptance in such circumstances may indeed exceed the cost of accepting cards or other non-cash payment methods.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stut
This used to be my experience in pre-Eurozone central and eastern Europe.
That's before DCC was even invented :-).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
That's before DCC was even invented :-).
Is it long enough ago for me to refer to it as "back in the day" yet?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I simply wouldn't sign the receipt. If I was in a hurry to catch a flight and they were stalling, I'd tell the manager to email me later when it was figured out. It's a dirty scam, and even if it was just a quarter I'd want to make things hard on the scammers.

I don't buy for a second that they "can't figure it out". I've had a retailer attempt to pull a DCC on me before, complete with an explanation that it's the only way they could process it. So I walked away, and lo and behold before I got too far down the street they magically figured out another process. @:-) So I think an established hotel in Ireland can too...
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:06 pm

Just explain that your employer doesn't allow it.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
I once had a carrental billed in ANG (Netherlands Antilles Guilders). That was in the old days, when they had to take a print of the card. When I arrived home I found out that they took USD from my card.

There is a fixed rate for conversion ANG to and from USD, which only differs for sale/transfer/buy (1.75 - 1.78 - 1.80), so when they used the transferrate nothing was wrong, but offcourse they decided to use the worst (for me) rate. Then I decided to decline this amount and the amount was returned, because I was able to show the ANG-slip.

I contacted the rental company several times, but they did not charge the ANG-amount again (or even the USD-amount with better conversion-rate, which I also offered). After about five times contacting I stopped. So at the end I had a free car-rental.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:44 pm

There was (and I think may still be) an ATM that dispenses US$ at Schiphol. I was curious as to how I would be charged on my US$ ATM card for a withdrawal at that ATM, so I withdrew $20 as a test.

If memory serves, my ATM card was charged in Euro, so I essentially paid a round-trip conversion - the ATM converted the $$$ I was given into Euro, my bank converted the Euro charge back to $$$$.

Originally Posted by envgeo
I recently used a HSBC ATM in London. I was provided choices to obtain cash in usd, pounds, or euro's. I think this was a dcc, not really sure but knew enough to choose pounds.

Has anyone else seen this at an ATM? Or if I choose one of the other options was I going to get usd or euro currency?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Anytime and every time a merchant (hotel, restaurant, whoever) pulls a DCC on me and tries to charge my cc in dollars, I refuse to sign and ask for another charge in local currency. Sometimes the business accepts this and promptly re-does the transaction in local currency. Since I haven't signed for the one in dollars, it's nice if they reverse that one but in the end, I won't be responsible.

Other places are ill equipped for the decline/reversal/rerun in local currency. This can really screw them up as they don't know what to do and fumble with their machine. I stand firm-I'll sign in local currency only. I make no offer of cash, even if I have the cash on me. The longer it takes, the more upset they get, the better the lesson to not pull this scam.
Have to stay, this is the solution and in Europe shouldn't get you in trouble.

Offering to price in their guests currency is a (almost worthless) service but requiring it (directly or by making it difficult) is unfair, bad customer relations and probarly illegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.