Wiki Posts
Search

Putting all shades down so cabin is dark

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

If you want to control the window shade, get a window seat.
+1

Yep, and that's what I told the pax seated in 5E, I was seated in 5A in UA's old config 744 in F on ORD-HKG. It was like 10 min after take off, far from cruising altitude, the women at 5E asked me to close all the shades. I told her no and next time she should get the window seat. She was really mad after that, but I could care or less even if she say any cursed word to me.

I got my seat 5A actually from checkin due to a cancel flight to IAD, suppose to fly NH IAD-NRT instead. Therefore, that woman could have changed to the window seat in the first place, but she refused probably because she had a companion at 5F.

When I am sitting by the aisle or middle, sure I want the window shade to be open the entire flight, but I would or had never ask the person sitting by the window to open or close it. That's why one can choose to sit by the window or aisle.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 4, 2011 at 10:19 am
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really dislike the 'shades down' order - I love looking at icebergs over the arctic, or see ski hill lights as you fly over Quebec in winter etc. I adore the view of 'home' as you cross the Irish Sea and get the first glimpses of England. I can't sleep on planes anyway, light or dark, so I far prefer a view. However... I am an aisle person, so try not to ..... too much!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by emma69
I really dislike the 'shades down' order - I love looking at icebergs over the arctic, or see ski hill lights as you fly over Quebec in winter etc.
I was once on a Cactus flight (in the window seat) and the FA demanded that I close my window shade so they could show "Dr. Doolittle 2." I refused, as the view out the window was great. I told her there was nothing they could show on that little screen that was as good as I was seeing out the window. She left in a huff and then two minutes later the Captain came on the PA telling the pax to look out the window at the "incredible view of the grand canyon."

Suddenly you could hear FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP all down the plane as everyone flipped up their window shades. I smiled to myself.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I want the shade up, up, up. I dislike the dark during the day. I don't even like going to matinees at the movies. And if it's night, there is no reason to shut the shade.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
+1^

Westbound daytime flights - no way!
Eastbound overnight flight - sure, you don't want to be woken up at 5am, do you.
My view also. Was once westbound on UA's old config 777 in 8J. FA asked me to close the shade so that 3E could watch her movie!

I politely refused and no more was said.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i don't obey the order if i want to see the sights.....i almost got mad a # of years back [1979 iirc] on ams-dfw....the route map was posted & i had wonderful views of greenland for ~ 30 min or so...

someone should suggest that the a/l's sell eye masks and require that the shades be up for safety!....
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS
I get the idea that the window has control of the, well, window, but the impact is broader than just to that person so is physical control a fair way to assign unilateral control of it's open/closed state?

I certainly agree that one person wanting something closed does not mean one other must oblige but there has to be a happy medium when everyone is potentially impacted.

I'm not referring to sleep -- planes are bright during the day regardless, so get eyeshades if you need em -- but light does not play equal and the impact on one seat can be miles apart from another -- especially vs the window PAX who is often recessed back from it. I love the views, even when the view is nothing but white puffy clouds or an ocean, but I also have had times when I literally have pulled out my sunglasses to read.

Obviously much of this comes down to tact: explain why you'd like it closed, or why not, and find a compromise but it seems to me that there really should be a need to compromise just as I, on the aisle am giving something to move when you want to get out because it's not my row, it's ours.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Funny on this forum you will hear a lot from the shade up folks, but on planes 90% of the time the dark side always win...

I will add that at least the more expensive is the seat the darker is the cabin (try it out) start in F all shades are down (civilized people-JK) C a few shade up and Y 40% shades are up.

Last edited by david-alexis; Jul 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm Reason: add
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If you want to control the window shade, get a window seat.
If the airline wants to control the window shade, they should put a motor on it with a passenger lock-out.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david-alexis
Funny on this forum you will hear a lot from the shade up folks, but on planes 90% of the time the dark side always win...

I will add that at least the more expensive is the seat the darker is the cabin (try it out) start in F all shades are down (civilized people-JK) C a few shade up and Y 40% shades are up.
Lol - the only place I have control of a window blind (and thus it is up) is when I am in F or J - because I won't pick a window seat in Y!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:58 pm

As far as those wanting darkness for sleep are concerned, this is a perfect application of the adage ”A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”

Bring eyeshades.

Glare on IFE screens is more complicated, but I get especially aggravated when I’m in C and someone asks me to lower my shade on a daytime flight (generally EU-US westbounds). I’m generally on CO and they include eyeshades in the BF amenity kit so if you want it dark, there you go! AFAIK most airlines do the same in C/F.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by azcoyote
If the airline wants to control the window shade, they should put a motor on it with a passenger lock-out.
I understand that the next generation of Boeing aircraft have electronically-dimmed windows, under FA control.

So when they want to blacken the windows to show us "Spy Kids XVII," they just have to press a butotn.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gglave
I understand that the next generation of Boeing aircraft have electronically-dimmed windows, under FA control.

So when they want to blacken the windows to show us "Spy Kids XVII," they just have to press a butotn.
Followed by people bringing on full-spectrum lamps.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by gglave

There's gonna be some complaining out of me if they do that, and I don't expect I'll be alone. That FA 'all blinds shut' button will be disabled by policy before you know it.

Of course, many airlines have an 'all blinds open' policy during taxy/take-off/landing, so they can keep that button if they want.

I just realised though: perhaps those electronically blinded windows can be made to be partially translucent. Like sunglasses. That'd be pretty cool for us window-peerers: allow us to see out the window yet not have everyone else blinded by sunlight. Nice middle-ground.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CyBeR
That FA 'all blinds shut' button will be disabled by policy before you know it.
"The windows are all networked together so flight attendants also will have a new level of control. From a computer panel, the crew can control an individual window, a section or all of the windows."

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/..._06_01_10.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.