Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do people get upset at you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:32 am
Original Poster

I post my TRs on social media to share with close friends and family. Many of them think I'm shelling out five figure sums to fly in premium cabins but I enthusiastically explain that flying in F or J doesn't have to cost that much. Most of them understand.

There's a small subset of my friends who are beginning to resent me, however. They understand that I'm "doing something with miles" but they make passive aggressive remarks about me flaunting my "wealth."

I'm puzzled by it all. How do you guys deal with people who've made up their minds that you are a reckless spender and show off?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I shall move it on over to TravelBuzz.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:34 am

I only posted a trip report that my family/friends could read once and that was several years ago. I have learned since then to seriously downplay my leisure travel.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:50 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

just don't care this jealous folks
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis

I don't show off about any of my virtues or material gain. Humility is important in life.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Anyone can throw money around and fly in premium class. That deosnt require any skill or brains.

People do get jealous when they find out that I dont pay the money to fly up front.
The smart ones have asked for hints and help on how to play the game, the dumb ones continue to be jealous.

I dont downplay my travels, everyone knows I am insane, and expect me to be on vacation 12-15 weeks a year.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I prefer not to share too much of my travel lifestyle with friends and family. People not infected with this bug just don't understand. When one of them says enviously "I suppose you'll be flying business class", it's just not possible to say "No, first class actually" without sounding smug, insensitive and a spendthrift. You can just see the envy turning to darker emotions...

That's why the FT Trip Report forum exists: so that you can "flaunt" your addiction/profligacy/clever schemes in front of a like-minded, and appreciative, audience!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:42 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Anyone can throw money around and fly in premium class. That deosnt require any skill or brains.

People do get jealous when they find out that I dont pay the money to fly up front.
The smart ones have asked for hints and help on how to play the game, the dumb ones continue to be jealous.

I dont downplay my travels, everyone knows I am insane, and expect me to be on vacation 12-15 weeks a year.
+1
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:50 am

I never brag.
I have found that some of my friends and even family members are jealous of the fact that my husband and I can take long vacations to international locations. I have learned not to share much. If I absolutely HAVE to explain my absence I usually lie and tell them that the trip is work related.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:59 am

I have had that issue. When I post that I flew in F to SFO (I live on the East Coast). I get lots of "must be nice" and sarcasm - what they don't realize and I have given up trying to educate is that I am probably flying on an off peak (Sunday morning 7am is one of my favorite flights very little competition) and Saturday night at 7pm I am online trying to get my upgrade for $170.

I have had people say - "I won't spend a penny more than I have to" that is fine but I am willing to pay a little more for comfort (just not regular price First class).
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I post photos of leisure travel on Facebook and whatnot, most people are supportive, some post that they are jealous, others may be jealous or resentful but don't say it.

I don't mention to many people I know that I fly in J or F. No reason to do that, unless you're trying to impress chicks on Facebook or something.

I also don't usually mention or post photos of the hotels I stay at.

So to sum up - I think vacation photos and vacation-related status updates are fine, but full trip reports to your 500 closest Facebook friends listing class of travel, photos of first class meals, luxury hotels, etc. would be a bit over the top.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Recently went through a personal transformation where I've changed my ways (after conducting the Landmark Forum).

But before the personal change, I've consistently received comments of my unworkability, anger, frustration, and high standards of others. As a result, others would be upset at me on a regular basis. Unfortunate, but true.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I'm always somewhere.

I just got back to the USA last week after spending 2 months in South America. Found out yesterday that a good friend is flying back home next week and is afraid of flying- I'm doing my duty as a good friend;-) and going to Chile next week for 2 days just to fly back to the USA with him (good excuse to fly...)

Family, friends, and customs agents (!!) always want to know why I travel so much. I often get hit up for money also by the most random people (I really don't flaunt my travel that much!)

Little OT but I had a drug dog @ FLL alert to my luggage last week. I had a thorough inspection of my bags: solo white male, 23 years of age, agent says "South America 4 times in the last 3 years?"

Can imagine what they say next week
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't think I've ever mentioned class of travel on Facebook. Nor any of the details of this whole FF game. There's no need for that. If I feel the need to gloat about a particularly sweet award or upgrade, I'll do it here.

At most, I upload a photo or two of a destination, usually after the trip is complete.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't think I've ever mentioned class of travel on Facebook. Nor any of the details of this whole FF game. There's no need for that. If I feel the need to gloat about a particularly sweet award or upgrade, I'll do it here.
Haha, agreed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.