FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   favorite dumb pax comments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1232132-favorite-dumb-pax-comments.html)

toxicologist Aug 17, 2012 10:16 am

Happened to me just this Monday evening:

Wasn't that big of a deal but I was coming home from an all-day job interview (13 meetings, several of conference calls with people overseas) a couple states away on my second flight to get home and just generally tired. So I board the erj-145 and sit down, near the back, aisle seat on the two side of the plane and a lady sits down right across the aisle on the one side.

She then turns to me and says "What I'm about to say will tell that I don't fly very often (I think oh great, here we go), but does it seem odd to you that there is one seat on one side of the plane and two seats on the other?" I, like I said before was tired, gave a deadpan look and said "mmm, no" then turned facing the seat-back, closed my eyes and prayed she wasn't a nervous flyer and need to talk to someone throughout the flight.

Flubber2012 Aug 17, 2012 10:32 am

Originally Posted by toxicologist (Post 19140928)

Wasn't that big of a deal but I was coming home from an all-day job interview (13 meetings, several of conference calls with people overseas) a couple states away on my second flight to get home and just generally tired. So I board the erj-145 and sit down, near the back, aisle seat on the two side of the plane and a lady sits down right across the aisle on the one side.

She then turns to me and says "What I'm about to say will tell that I don't fly very often (I think oh great, here we go), but does it seem odd to you that there is one seat on one side of the plane and two seats on the other?" I, like I said before was tired, gave a deadpan look and said "mmm, no" then turned facing the seat-back, closed my eyes and prayed she wasn't a nervous flyer and need to talk to someone throughout the flight.

On my first trip on a DC-9 (circa 1970 somthing), I also was surprised at 2-3 seating. I'm now a highly compensated physician. Your point?

pinworm Aug 17, 2012 2:01 pm

I was once boarding an ERJ at COS behind a real redneck, who asked the GA if his seat was a middle seat, because "I ain't sittin' in no middle"...She replied that there were no middle seats on this plane, and he responded with "Are you sure??". He also muttered "I might be walking to my death here" as he boarded.

pinworm Aug 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76 (Post 18414018)
A few years back, I was dining at a restaurant near the Santa Cruz, CA boardwalk. It was a clear enough day that one could just see the tip of the Monterey peninsula across the bay. The couple at the next table asked the waiter if that was Hawaii.

WOW!!!

My own sister was visiting me in LA, saw the San Gabriel mountains to the east, and asked me if they were the Rockies. :D

violist Aug 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
On my first trip on a DC-9 (circa 1970 somthing), I also was surprised at 2-3 seating. I'm now a highly compensated physician. Your point?

I thought it was a kind of cute story. Of course, I'm not a highly
compensated anything.

orthar Sep 25, 2012 7:36 am

Politics aside, this wins the thread IMO:

Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ow-remark.html

MOBFlyer Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

If Romney claimed to have any aeronautical experience, I'd fault him for such a remark.

The truth is, though, he is just a guy whose wife had to make an emergency landing due to smoke in the cabin. So, like most people, his first thought was why can't something be done to prevent this sort of situation.

Of course, there are windows in the flight deck on airliners that do open - albeit not in pressurized flight!

orthar Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MOBFlyer (Post 19380878)
If Romney claimed to have any aeronautical experience, I'd fault him for such a remark.

The truth is, though, he is just a guy whose wife had to make an emergency landing due to smoke in the cabin. So, like most people, his first thought was why can't something be done to prevent this sort of situation.

Of course, there are windows in the flight deck on airliners that do open - albeit not in pressurized flight!

You don't need aeronautical experience to understand why windows can't be opened mid-flight. You don't need to have ever flown to have that level of common sense, so I'd think it's pretty elementary for someone that (I'm guessing) has flown a few times lately.

mapleg Sep 25, 2012 11:14 am

You could have told her it was common, but expect the plane to fly at an angle all the way home!

lost_perspicacity Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by orthar (Post 19381302)
You don't need aeronautical experience to understand why windows can't be opened mid-flight. You don't need to have ever flown to have that level of common sense, so I'd think it's pretty elementary for someone that (I'm guessing) has flown a few times lately.

It was a joke

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/windows.asp

lost_perspicacity Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by nelsoninbangkok (Post 16748032)
This is no joke but heard on two of my Pacific flights in the past year:

1. Two American girls who had just vacationed in Sydney. "I was going to buy all my friends a calendar with Australian animals but realized that Australia is a day a head of us. Had to take them all back and buy magnets instead."

In Australia is it common for calendars to start weeks on a Monday, like in the UK? If so such a calendar wouldn't be easy to use in the US.

lost_perspicacity Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 16834406)
You can use your phone immediately after landing so your seat mate was wrong :cool:

Does this depend on the airline/country? I rarely need to use my phone right away, but on almost every flight I've taken I recall phones being allowed after landing (once on the taxiway), but on a recent Virgin LHR-JFK trip they announced that cellphone use was prohibited until we were at the gate. I remember thinking it was odd.

belfordrocks Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922 (Post 19394364)
In Australia is it common for calendars to start weeks on a Monday, like in the UK? If so such a calendar wouldn't be easy to use in the US.

I haven't had a physical calendar in god knows how long, but I think I've had a combination of those that start on the Monday or the Sunday. Personally the inner OCD in me prefers the Sunday... :D

SheBangsTheDrums Sep 27, 2012 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922 (Post 19394380)
Does this depend on the airline/country? I rarely need to use my phone right away, but on almost every flight I've taken I recall phones being allowed after landing (once on the taxiway), but on a recent Virgin LHR-JFK trip they announced that cellphone use was prohibited until we were at the gate. I remember thinking it was odd.

ON AF\KLM flights they also insist on waiting until you are at the gate before you can use your mobile.

emma69 Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 19394525)
I haven't had a physical calendar in god knows how long, but I think I've had a combination of those that start on the Monday or the Sunday. Personally the inner OCD in me prefers the Sunday... :D

Not following the 'inner OCD' bit.

For old WASPy me, it is perfectly logical that Monday is the first day of the week, as 'on the seventh day he rested', and Sunday is the day of rest.

(I appreciate other religions disagree!)