Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
1300 miles in a week on the LAS- Zion NP-Bryce Canyon NP- Grand Canyon South rim route. Three long days- St George to Bryce, St. George to Flagstaff, and Flagstaff to Vegas, and the rest were pretty moderate 120 or so mile days.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used to do a semi-regular 13-mile rental: downtown Seattle to SEA.

It cost about what a cab would have and generated numerous WN credits back in the day when WN credits were valuable to someone flying in/out of Seattle often. (Their former FFP back in the mid-2000's and earlier.)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: DL,EK
8600 miles in 5 weeks, total cost $850, Reno to Detroit to Arkansas and back.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
1300 miles in a week on the LAS- Zion NP-Bryce Canyon NP- Grand Canyon South rim route. Three long days- St George to Bryce, St. George to Flagstaff, and Flagstaff to Vegas, and the rest were pretty moderate 120 or so mile days.
I did something like 1800 in IIRC 9 days--LAS-DEN-LAS with a couple of side trips. The fuel cost less than air tickets and I needed the car to get around anyway. It let me stop at Bryce and Arches.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
1800 on a Ford Excursion - god the gas mileage was very poor. LAS -LAS via the usual sights in the are and Los Angeles in 2005. All in 7 days.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriott
1550 miles (New Orleans to Atlanta to Orlando & back to New Orleans)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:13 am

Drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back, and some detours along the way. About 1500 clicks.

Miss the highway 1 a lot lot lot!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I didn't want to put 7000 miles on my car so I rented a car at DTW. I drove it to California for vacation. We took a southern route on the way to see some national parks. I recall the mileage as being between 6000 and 7000 miles. Shortly after that I started to see unlimited mileage in xxx where xxx would be something like "the tri-state area." Evidently I was not the only one to see that unlimited mileage could be quite a deal if the rental price was right.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:10 pm

How many miles on my statement or how many I actually put on?

I was exhausted after a bunch of travel ending in a redeye transcon so I didn't realize the dashboard was set to 'Trip' and reported the initial mileage as ~900 but figured it out when it reset to 0 while I was driving. When I changed it to the actual odometer the mileage was ~20,000. We had a good chuckle at the counter when the agent saw that I drove 19,000 miles in a week

Actual driving would only be about 1500 miles in a week
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Used National free days for a one-way rental from Deer Lake, Newfoundland to St. John's Newfoundland. Failed to read the fine-print that on one-way rentals, kilometers were not unlimited. Drove to the furthest corners of Newfoundland (Gros Morne National Park, L'Anse Aux Meadows, St. Anthony, Corner Brook, then back to St. John's), all in 4 days (was a July 4th trip). Put 2,000km on the odometer, which exceeded the permitted mileage by a rather hefty amount. The bill wasn't pretty.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks to delta I rented a car Sunday night and drove to Bangor. Right about 500 miles. Picked it up at 6:30 pm and dropped it off at 9 am the next morning.

BTW if you drive a black Taurus in Manhattan, you're probably going to get hailed. (don't ask)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
About 2000 miles on a 3-day unlimited miles rental. Driving my own car then would have been more costly.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: USAir, Delta, ChoiceHotels, Marriott
Must have been an error from the previous driver when checking in my Budget rental on a 2 day business trip the mileage showed about 3,500 miles traveled. The guy checking in the car told me his hand-held thing could not issue my receipt but instead I had to go inside to the counter.

The person behind the counter started talking about excessive mileage and she would have to determine if there was to be an additional charge. I asked to talk to the manager and it didn't take long for him to see that I would have to have driven the car over 100 mph non-stop for 2 days to rack up that mileage based on the actual hours I had the car.

He smiled, printed a receipt and said have a good flight.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
As for low-mileage rentals, my gf and I did many one-mile Hertz rentals at PHL to take advantage of US's "Grand Slam" promo -- where one could earn tons of miles for making transactions with partners such as Hertz.

Sometimes the Hertz counter agent would know how to check us in and out without actually driving the car at all -- and the agent would manually enter "1" mile into the record.

But some agents didn't know how to make that transaction happen, so my gf and I had to drive the cars off the lot, register one mile, and bring the cars back!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamckinnis
A friend and I set the "world's record" of 6110 documented miles in 161 hours and nine minutes, driving from San Antonio to LA, across to NYC and back to SA in 51 minutes short of one week! We had General Rent-a-Car as one of our sponsors and on 12/30/1989 were featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not. It was like watching a film in fast forward, seeing the USA flying by our windshield--we averaged about 3 hours sleep a night!
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.