Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Drunks" causing commotion at Airline Clubs

"Drunks" causing commotion at Airline Clubs

Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Bushdog
I'm glad the French, Japanese, Italians, etc... never get drunk and/or misbehave in public.

I am not a big world traveler like lots of folks here, but have been to my share of foreign countries and I rarely find anyone anti-American specifically. I think we build a lot of it up in our own heads.
It's not all our imagination (but at least the French are considered worse than us).

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...909526,00.html
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Exactly. Americnas have been led to believe that they are universally despised and exasebated by made up stories like the Texas Southern talkin' eeeeevil raaaccisssst travelers mentioned above.

In reality here and here is how Americans are perceived.

"Germans were the most popular holiday makers, followed by Americans - who also give the biggest tips. "

But keep this on the down low. Wouldn't want to confuse anyone with the facts.
Do you realize the two links you sent contradict each other? One says British tourists are the worst while the other says they are the second best. Secondly, I bet Americans willingness to (over)tip generally smooths over boorish behavior.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So why would this guy be drunk again?

Sounds like OP observed rudeness..
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So why would this guy be drunk again?

Sounds like OP observed rudeness..
If you think that drunkness can't be observed, your eyes aren't open. He was staggering as he walked, slurring his words, pounded a big drink right before leaving the counter, and smelled like alcohol. If you need me to present evidence for every claim, I can. Do you want to know how I know he was going to IAH?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1111
If you think that drunkness can't be observed, your eyes aren't open. He was staggering as he walked, slurring his words, pounded a big drink right before leaving the counter, and smelled like alcohol. If you need me to present evidence for every claim, I can. Do you want to know how I know he was going to IAH?
Ok.. I don't think the description was as contrasted in your original quote..

Yes.. It looks like based on your description he is 100% drunk..
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
If this were a kids running rampant around the AC thread, everyone would be thats why they should ban kids from flying

however half these posts are over hating americans.. its too funny how drunks are accepted in airports but kids are not LOL
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If this were a kids running rampant around the AC thread, everyone would be thats why they should ban kids from flying

however half these posts are over hating americans.. its too funny how drunks are accepted in airports but kids are not LOL
I just ignore all the rants about kids..

and bring my kids to the airport anyways.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:11 am

american policies typically are the thing that europeans dislike but they don't hold it against us when we are visiting. but if you get into political conversations with them you'll hear their frustration.

people are people. most of us get along with each other. most of us try. Those who don't are like the texan and bathroom guy. they are outliers, but they suck so badly it leaves a scar. Those of us in the normal majority take too much of this on a regular basis. i wish we stood up for each other some more because it'd shame the loud ones to shut up and get in line.

as for unruly kids vs drunks...kids consume resources at no cost. Drunks at least are buying the drinks. so airports and airlines try to be as accomodating for the drunks as possible. the kids are a loss leader from flying free on laps to using the vomit bags to annoying everyone in the cabin. once the drunks fall asleep it's over until landing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Trapezeus
american policies typically are the thing that europeans dislike but they don't hold it against us when we are visiting. but if you get into political conversations with them you'll hear their frustration.
Yep. Those policies of saving their a$$ from fascism and spending trillions to rebuild their economies after wars. Americans are indeed evil.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Yep. Those policies of saving their a$$ from fascism and spending trillions to rebuild their economies after wars. Americans are indeed evil.
^^^
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Trapezeus
... you'll hear their frustration.
I'm sure their present day frustration is nothing compared to their frustration prior to being liberated from German occupation by American forces.

Hopefully they are not frustrated by the fact that American Military Cemetaries are taking up some of their real estate.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by rbwpi
I'm sure their present day frustration is nothing compared to their frustration prior to being liberated from German occupation by American forces.

Hopefully they are not frustrated by the fact that American Military Cemetaries are taking up some of their real estate.
Carefull...someone (me) might bring up the fact that America refused to get into the war earlier and save lives when they could have been saved. The isolationist attitude of the American population might not be the best thing to be proud of. This is said as a born and bred American raised in Texas who has lived in three different countries and traveled the world.

People are people. There are good and bad in every culture and country.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by rbwpi

How wonderful that the Americans did that all by themselves. And how fortunate that it's only American military cemeteries taking up their valuable real estate, none from any other nation.

Where would we all be if it wasn't for Hollywood's version of the history of the 20th century?

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Jun 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Carefull...someone (me) might bring up the fact that America refused to get into the war earlier and save lives when they could have been saved.
And confuse the issue by including a few facts? Nah, who would do that?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Nah, just Texans.
Texas. America didn't want them. Mexico couldn't keep them. They couldn't govern themselves. So we had to take them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.