Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happened to Skytrax' user reviews?

What happened to Skytrax' user reviews?

Old Jun 23, 11, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Question What happened to Skytrax' user reviews?

There was a time when the Skytrax user review website (www.airlinequality.com) was a good place to get a feel for a new (to me) airport on the itinerary.

However, the last few times I have checked on an airport, the reviews were not particularly current. The user reviews seem to peter out in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Does anyone know why the reviews are not current - do users no longer provide feedback, or does Skytrax no longer accept submissions?
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:10 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
In my experiences with Skytrax, they seem to only use the reviews that they “approve” of . Their credibility is in serious question.

They have become a website for “kettles” and only seem to take reviews by “kettles”. Use the information given by them with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 23, 11, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
I tried submitting a few reviews on a few airlines. Never saw my postings, and never got an e mail from them at all--not even an acknowledgment.

As for their airport reviews, as far as I can tell there is no way to add an airport to what is already listed there, and most of their airport ratings are woefully out of date
Old Jun 23, 11, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

I am sorry to hear that they are selecting out reviews they don't like.

The kettle-type reviews do seem to predominate these days, although I hadn't consciously registered it until you pointed it out.

It is a pity - five to ten years ago, it was the go-to site to learn about an airport before visiting the first time. Now it seems to becoming one of the unfrequented backwaters of the travel internet for me.
Old Jun 12, 12, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

And almost a year later, and once again the Skytrax Airline Quality web site still doesn't have current or qualitatively useful reviews on fairly busy airports.

The scuttlebutt and rumors here on FT and the juvenile gossip and guessing on airliners.net are actually more valuable to me in planning multi-stop trips for this autumn.

Sad to see the site reduced to fluff. And old fluff, at that.
Old Sep 2, 13, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

And like an old penny, I keep turning up here.

This evening I wanted to check on yet another new-to-me airport, and I found that the (http://www.airlinequality.com/) website is not even showing a list of airports any more.

Is Skytrax going out of business?
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
And like an old penny, I keep turning up here.

This evening I wanted to check on yet another new-to-me airport, and I found that the (http://www.airlinequality.com/) website is not even showing a list of airports any more.

Is Skytrax going out of business?

I still see the airport ranking and reviews tabs up at the top. Or were you meaning something else?
Old Sep 3, 13, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I still see the airport ranking and reviews tabs up at the top. Or were you meaning something else?
You are correct, it is back up. This weekend it was down.

However, it is only listing about 50 airports worldwide.
Old May 26, 14, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
I tried submitting a few reviews on a few airlines. Never saw my postings, and never got an e mail from them at all--not even an acknowledgment.

As for their airport reviews, as far as I can tell there is no way to add an airport to what is already listed there, and most of their airport ratings are woefully out of date
Same here. I did get an email saying that they couldn't verify it, yet they seemed to make no effort to verify it.

Flyertalk should seriously consider producing it's own ratings. They would be much more valuable.
Old May 26, 14, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Try posting something objectively negative about hu (e.g their lounge in Beijing isn't as nice as cx's lounges in hk) and see how much they care.
Old May 27, 14, 1:54 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Try posting something objectively negative about hu (e.g their lounge in Beijing isn't as nice as cx's lounges in hk) and see how much they care.
A while ago I wrote an honest but critical report about my last visit to IAD which never saw the light of day, but repeated the exercise a few days later with the same review only changing everything to "smelling of roses" and it was in print next day. Hmmmmmm.
Old May 29, 14, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Yeah, still no change. It is as if they no longer care to curate any responses about airports other than Dubai, Heathrow, Honk Kong, etc.

It does me no good to check on an airport when the latest review was in 2009.
Old May 29, 14, 10:19 am
Suspended

TA plays similar games (big thread about this).
Old Jun 8, 14, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Apparently Etihad got tired of having individual flyers dump on their airline and the connectivity at Abu Dhabi and has left Skytrax.

http://www.eturbonews.com/46669/skyt...nts-no-part-it

and

http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/06/abu-.../#.U5TgTvldX_E

Since Etihad threatened another forum (pprune) with litigation over discussions of their service, perhaps Skytrax will get some love letters from the EH mouthpieces as well. Or was it Emirates? One of those two, anyway.

Dubai reviews, not the best place in the world to be in transit: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airpor.../dxb.htm?#cmnt

Abu Dhabi reviews, equally hilarious unless you have to transit there: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airpor.../auh.htm?#cmnt

Search this Thread
Search Engine: