Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If I lived in the US and got a speeding ticket in Australia...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Is there any legal recourse available that I could be forced to pay said ticket?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If it was a rental car, your CC will eventually be charged for the fine and late fees.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:36 pm
In memoriam

Maybe for a parking ticket--IMHO, not for a driving violation.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Why would the ticket be passed on through the rental company?
The ticket would be issued to the individual, not the car would it not?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Good point actually. My experience has been with a parking ticket. When I ignored it, the city charged the car rental company and they charged me. With a speeding ticket, you might be OK as long as you don't get pulled over again in Australia.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Depends.

If it was photo radar or something like that they will issue the ticket to the owner of the car, Hertz, who will pass your information off to the police after they charge you $40 for doing so, and their traffic management company will charge you for the ticket.

If they pulled you over and handed you a ticket, I don't think they will go after the car, but I am not 100% sure about Australia.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Depends.

If it was photo radar or something like that they will issue the ticket to the owner of the car, Hertz, who will pass your information off to the police after they charge you $40 for doing so, and their traffic management company will charge you for the ticket.

If they pulled you over and handed you a ticket, I don't think they will go after the car, but I am not 100% sure about Australia.
+1..

I was thinking the same.. If the jurisdiction has photo radar.. it doesn't matter whose behind the wheel.. the registered owners pays for it..

If thats the rental company.. I don't see any way to get out of the ticket..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
In the U.S., an unpaid moving violation can show up in law enforcement databases. Therefore, upon entering the U.S., individuals can be stopped at Immigration. Case in point, a guy had a federal warrant for a moving violation. Turns out he was speeding in a National Park and was pulled over by U.S. Park Police. He was picked up at the airport by Immigration and TOT local authorities for the warrant.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
In the U.S., an unpaid moving violation can show up in law enforcement databases. Therefore, upon entering the U.S., individuals can be stopped at Immigration. Case in point, a guy had a federal warrant for a moving violation. Turns out he was speeding in a National Park and was pulled over by U.S. Park Police. He was picked up at the airport by Immigration and TOT local authorities for the warrant.
If US recognizes Australia speeding ticket laws.. then entering the US may pose a problem in the fashion you've described..

Somehow, its a low probability that a speeding ticket in another jurisdiction would prompt TSA to enforce strictly entry into US..

But OP needs to be handed the ticket personally.. not just on a registered owners record..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
This has always been my reasoning. One day in my lifetime the all law enforcement databases will be integrated (efficiently as opposed to now) and I will be trying to clear immigration only to be arrested for a 10 year old traffic ticket which now is accompanies by large fines and a warrant.

I would rather pay now than pay later.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Or you could just do the right thing and pay the ticket...instead of posting about ~not~ paying for it on a travel forum.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
How much was the ticket for?

This actually happened to me in New Zealand a few years ago. Got caught on a photo radar and didn't even notice at the time. A few weeks later, back home in Sweden, I got an e-mail from the rental company informing me they had given my details to NZ police and charged me 20 $NZ for the pleasure.
Later I got a very formal letter sent to my home from the NZ police, with the ticket attached. Turned out it was just 80 $NZ, though, so I simply payed up (could even been done with a CC on the police web site) to avoid any future problems.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Even if they can't chase you down, they can report your unpaid ticket to the credit bureau. It's an obligation that you have chosen not to pay. There's nothing worse for your credit score than a display of willingness to stiff a creditor.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
I got pulled over in Russia about 10 years ago for speeding. The ticket was 90 Rubles ($3 at that time), so I ended up paying it on the spot (in cash) to make it go away. =P

You're better off just paying the ticket, as others have said. If you're going to speed, it's the price you pay for getting caught. The other option is to just not speed, which isn't much of an option for many of us!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Or you could just do the right thing and pay the ticket...instead of posting about ~not~ paying for it on a travel forum.
Hear hear. ^

Originally Posted by jaimelannister
The other option is to just not speed, which isn't much of an option for many of us!
And here I thought most people who aren't 17 anymore just set cruise control for 8 mph over the limit and forget about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.