Flying tomorrow, genuinely excited!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying tomorrow, genuinely excited!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's sort of funny: when I saw the thread title, I thought "When did I last really enjoy a flight?" Immediately I thought of LH and FRA.

September 2008: flying to Germany to meet up with some buddies for Oktoberfest and the Berlin Marathon. (Yes, in that order - note to self: next time reverse that.) Since my itin was solo, I decided to blow 120k UA and fly F the whole way. Even carved out nice layovers both ways in FRA to enjoy the FCT. ^

Anyway, aside from the excellent LH service in the air and on the ground, there's just something unique about the 747 that I still enjoy. At FRA, they deliver you directly to your jet via private car...something about standing on the tarmac next to a 747-400 that reminds you that long-haul aviation is still pretty cool. Even though it's now 2010 and this is mostly 1960's technology (probably with 90's avionics), it's still very cool.

But I realize that's an extreme. I don't always spend my miles 120k (now more) at a time for int'l F. As long as I have at least a low-tier status and a desirable coach seat, I don't dread it. If I have mid-tier (lounge access) and/or a business class seat, I look forward to it - even if it's a typical 767/777 setup. Something about the range and speed still excites me...I'm flying ORD-PVG nonstop in a couple months, in coach one direction and F the other, and I still find that semi-amazing.

The only travel I grow really weary of is the short-haul domestic U.S. stuff. Cramped planes, poor service, and the double-whammy of increasing fares and decreasing overall quality. I guess it's just another fully-matured form of public transport - we shouldn't expect more, just like we don't expect pre-departure drinks on the London Underground.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:42 am

Enjoy it happens once in while depending on where I am going.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
well mine is going to be IV alcohol and I'm gonna have it with me for 2 straight months.
Make sure you've signed your organ donor card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.