Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

You know you've stayed too long in a hotel when..

Old Jun 13, 11, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, VS Gold, BA Silver

Thought this may be quite a fun thread, apologies if it's been done before, nothing came up on search.

You know when you've stayed too long in a hotel when..
  • You can call down to the front desk and say "Hi it's me"
  • You're allowed to use the hotel's airport shuttle for trips to the shopping mall
  • When you enter the hotel after staying somewhere else for the weekend by the time you've reached the desk you've already been checked in

At the moment I feel like I've been away for an age (almost three months now) but I'm sure there are a lot of people here that have been in a lot more extreme situations and can chime in!
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
... you call down for room service and they ask if you'd like your usual.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Hi welcome back, how was your weekend at home? We loved the wine, thanks so much. Your luggage is back in your room, and your cleaning came this morning, so your shirts are in the closet. We put a couple bottles of diet coke in the fridge. We just need the license plate of the car this week.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
you stay at a hotel across the street to earn status at another chain yet still go to the executive lounge in the other hotel to hangout with the staff and watch a ballgame with them.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:41 pm

You buy a suitcase to take home the toiletries, coffee, spa items, chocolates, wine and bathrobes given as gifts by the manager.

Happened to a relative. A 2 week business trip turned into a 4 month trip. The trip was not supposed to last long so they put her in a luxury hotel. Realizing she was sitting on tons of high quality toiletries, she started hanging on to her daily allotment. She went home on weekends but the hotel let her keep her stuff in the room. The day before checking out, the manager gave her two excellent robes as souvenirs.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:57 pm

Talking

when you get home and just drop your stuff on the floor expecting it to be cleaned up and start wondering why the maid has not been there...
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, VS Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by William S View Post
when you get home and just drop your stuff on the floor expecting it to be cleaned up and start wondering why the maid has not been there...
Haha, the closest I've been to this is trying to decide if I should reuse or replace a towel while at home.

Another tell tale sign is when you know the words of the repeating adverts on channel 1 of the tv that go along the lines of "Want to watch a film, why go to the theatre when you can watch movies in the theatre, in your room from only $3.99..."
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:30 pm

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
When you know the breakfast buffet lady's names of her kids...., siblings, parents, aunts and uncles, cousins. And all of their family drama. Haha.

And when the hotel staff hugs you goodbye and gets all weepy when you tell them the project is over and I'm not coming back.

(Actually, I kind of miss that year long stay, it was nice having someone prepare me breakfast, clean my room, etc -- almost felt like living back with your mom!)
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

You definitely know you are staying a long time when there is a knock on the door at the same time each week. I was told it was a "death or ditch check."
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: Welfare
You walk down to the hotel bar at 10pm in your underwear and grab a beer out of the fridge and walk back to your room and no one notices.

You get junk mail there.

The hotel manager asks you for input on employee schedules.

Staff buys you Christmas presents.

Floor named after you.
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
When I come home and look for the light switches where they were in the hotel. Same thing with the dishes.
Old Jun 13, 11, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
.. When the chambermaids start expecting and keeping track of the tips..
Old Jun 14, 11, 1:09 am

Talking

When - Sir,Would you like the same maid to service you for both business and pleasure ??

Last edited by deltheking; Jun 14, 11 at 1:17 am
Old Jun 14, 11, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
When the check in queue is long you're spotted walking in through the door and they break off mid-checkin to bring your room key to you directly.
Old Jun 14, 11, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton & Hyatt Peon
Originally Posted by William S View Post
Haha.

This trump my "you realize you never do seem to buy any toiletries for home... come to think of it, you don't actually have a home anymore, it didn't give points".

Search this Thread