FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel greater distance by car? New VW Passat TDI has 800 mile range (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1225262-travel-greater-distance-car-new-vw-passat-tdi-has-800-mile-range.html)

jspira Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Travel greater distance by car? New VW Passat TDI has 800 mile range

I'm just back from a visit to the new VW factory in Chattanooga and had an opportunity to drive the new Passat TDI. The new 2012 Passat, incidentally, is bigger and more luxurious than its predecessor and costs 25% ($7000) less.

With its incredible 800 mile range (43 mpg), and limousine-like leg room in the back, this may do wonders for road trips versus flying. Too bad VW doesn't give out miles.

My review of the car is below (for those interested) but the broader question is whether a car like this would change people's habits.

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI – Review and First Drive/Road Test

The 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI will be arriving at VW dealerships soon and we had an opportunity to pick up the car at the factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and drive it to Nashville.

The Passat 2.0L TDI is available in three flavors. The basic TDI comes well-equipped with 17” alloy wheels, heated front seats, a touchscreen radio, and a six-speed manual transmission, all for $25,995. You can add a sunroof and a DSG (Direct-Shift Gearbox or Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe) as options (separately or as a package) or you can get both plus 18” alloy wheels, navigation, Volkswagen’s Mobile Device Interface (MDI), fog lights, and exterior chrome accents all in one package.

The top-of-the-line Passat 2.0L TDI SEL, retailing for $32,195, adds leather sports seats, keyless access and start, remote start, an upgraded navigation system, driver seat memory, a wood grain interior, 8-way power passenger seat, interior chrome accents, and a Fender audio system.
http://www.thedieseldriver.com/wp-co...49-300x199.jpg

TrayflowInUK Jun 11, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm currently on my fourth VW Passat TDI (MY2010) and am an absolutely huge fan. I have almost gotten 1100 km to a tank so it looks like this one can do a bit more range.

I'm curious to see how this model fares, people have mixed feelings about the design.

jspira Jun 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK (Post 16545567)

I'm curious to see how this model fares, people have mixed feelings about the design.

It should be interesting. It's the first model to be built in the Chattanooga factory, it's only available in the U.S. and Canada, and it is deliberately larger to meet American expectations (and to compete with the Toyota Camry et al).

t325 Jun 11, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't think it's going to replace flying more than any other car has. 800 mile range? Great. Who's going to drive nonstop for 800 miles? At 70mph that's over 11 hours. We have to eat, we have to pee, and you might as well stop and get gas when you make your other pit stops along the way. No one's looking at this car as a way to get from Chicago to New York nonstop without setting foot on a plane.

Don't get me wrong, I love VWs, I'm not knocking them, I have one myself, I'm just knocking the idea of selling a car based on range (besides, if car A has a higher range than car B, that's meaningless in terms of fuel economy. Car A might have a much bigger tank). I know I wouldn't choose to fly or drive based off my car's range. Besides, as luxurious and economical as the new Passat is, I'd much prefer to take my GTI that only gets 400 miles on a tank of premium ;)

jspira Jun 11, 2011 11:15 pm

I don't think it will replace flying per se nor do I think people will drive 800 miles nonstop but this new extended range vehicle does make it more appealing for longer drives in a time when fuel prices are always seemingly on the increase.

t325 Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 16545649)
I don't think it will replace flying per se nor do I think people will drive 800 miles nonstop but this new extended range vehicle does make it more appealing for longer drives in a time when fuel prices are always seemingly on the increase.

Perhaps my limit is less than others. My longest non-stop drive was Chicago to St. Louis, and that was about as long as I would've been able to tolerate. Still had enough in the tank to go a bit more, but if STL wasn't home I probably would've stopped there anyways to use the bathroom, stretch my legs and grab something to eat, and fill up for the next stretch of driving. I just don't see where more range would benefit me. Maybe others have higher tolerances, but I'd think for most, 5 or 6 hours between stops is more than enough.

jspira Jun 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by t325 (Post 16545685)
Perhaps my limit is less than others. My longest non-stop drive was Chicago to St. Louis, and that was about as long as I would've been able to tolerate. Still had enough in the tank to go a bit more, but if STL wasn't home I probably would've stopped there anyways to use the bathroom, stretch my legs and grab something to eat, and fill up for the next stretch of driving. I just don't see where more range would benefit me. Maybe others have higher tolerances, but I'd think for most, 5 or 6 hours between stops is more than enough.

I think even more frequent stops are a good idea, so one can stretch and move around a bit. But one doesn't have to stop at a filling station with the Passat TDI. One can stop just about anywhere.

KoKoBuddy Jun 12, 2011 10:59 am

I've never owned a car that got the advertized mileage in real world driving conditions.....cold starts, running the A/C, up and down hills, 3 or 4 passengers, tires not absolutely perfectly inflated, and driving at a speed that I drive at which is 75 to 80 on the freeway. So I'd guess that 800 miles is more like low 700s for the typical person.

And whatever the number is, nobody will drive that long without filling up. Most people stop for gas when the tank hits about 1/4, especially if you're on a road trip on the interstate in the middle of nowhere with gas stations not readily available. So take that low 700s and realistically speaking the true range is in the mid 500s.

Finally diesel costs about 15% more than regular gas ( at least where I live). Which means the 43 MPG is equivalent to 37 for a gasoline car.

LarryJ Jun 12, 2011 12:32 pm

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI. My best tank has been 702 miles of mixed driving. I'm sure I could hit 800 if I dove about 60 mph on the freeway. Best tank has been 46 mpg.

djs Jun 12, 2011 12:42 pm

The range is only part of it. The other part is the cost to drive; now if they increased the size of the gas tank by two-fold then this isn't such a big deal....however if the MPG has increased significantly over previous models (or just over "like" cars) then it is worth writing home about. Unfortunately my EOS gets nowhere near 800 miles to a tank.

deadpass Jun 12, 2011 2:30 pm

My personal limit for driving has nothing to do with my car. I'm willing to drive about 10 hours one-way and that's about it. Longest I've done is 27 straight and a few 20s but those were hell. At 10 hours I still feel pretty decent, at 16 hours is where I hit the wall.

Penbank Jun 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Hope the fuel doesn't get old and algae growing in it.

BearX220 Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 16545504)
...the broader question is whether a car like this would change people's habits.

Originally Posted by t325 (Post 16545634)
I don't think it's going to replace flying more than any other car has. 800 mile range? Great. Who's going to drive nonstop for 800 miles?... No one's looking at this car as a way to get from Chicago to New York nonstop without setting foot on a plane.

You might feel differently if you lived in the west, where (A) people drive long distances routinely and (B) air service is sparse, troublesome, and getting more so.

I think for a lot of people, airline trips of 500 miles or less are getting reconsideration now. The prices are getting higher, airlines are fewer, schedules are sparser, aircraft are crappier, the TSA is a huge disincentive, and Amtrak is erratic.

My son is contemplating going to college in a small town more than 1,000 miles from home with sporadic air service. I read jspira's review with interest thinking how I could get the Passat there and back on only three or so tanks of gas. If only VW would come across with a TDI wagon.

travelmad478 Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 16548843)
If only VW would come across with a TDI wagon.

If only there were a Passat wagon at all anymore! I just looked at VW's website and it seems that the wagon is completely gone from the lineup. How depressing. Looks like I will be going back to Subaru after many happy years in my 2003 Passat GLX Wagon. I don't want a sedan. :(

whlinder Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 16548888)
If only there were a Passat wagon at all anymore! I just looked at VW's website and it seems that the wagon is completely gone from the lineup. How depressing. Looks like I will be going back to Subaru after many happy years in my 2003 Passat GLX Wagon. I don't want a sedan. :(

Really? I'm another Passat Wagon fan, have had 2 in a row. I can't imagine them getting rid of it... it must just be a hiatus? I think the Jetta Wagon took a hiatus for a year or 2 recently...