Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OKC Fri Noon -- no flights in/out due to security breach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade

Hi.... just hearing second-hand that OKC airport has had some security breach at this time (Fri 11:30am central time)......so no flights leaving or landing at this time.

I'm currently at DAL-Love at the SW gates...... hearing gate agents say flt 1960 at 11am from OKC to DAL is delayed at least one hour "since all passengers must be re-screened." and my SW flt 1077 at noon from DAL to OKC is indefinitely delayed.

Who knows more????
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
The Daily Oklahoman is reporting that the ticket counter and baggage area were evacuated at 9:40 a.m. due to a suspicious package. Here's a link:

http://www.newsok.com/will-rogers-wo...rticle/3573857

A photo attached to the article shows a bunch of concession employees standing around in the departure concourse, so it looks like the evacuation also impacted airside operations. Flightaware also doesn't show much inbound traffic to OKC right now. Looks like a real cluster.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Jun 3, 2011 at 11:04 am
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:23 am

I just saw the OKC news at noon.

Apparently there is a suspicious package in the baggage claim area and the landside part of the terminal has been evacuated. An airport spokesperson says that passengers airside are being confined to the west concourse and are not being permitted to leave as they would have to transit the "hot" area.

For those wondering about delays, A local television station helicopter has been over the airport shooting video. He had to go to Wiley Post to refuel and was supposed to return to the station. The helicopter has now been instructed to return to the airport to continue following the activities.

As of 12:20 local, the airport is still closed and is likely to remain so for the near future while the package is removed. The airport spokesperson warned those nearby not to be alarmed if they hear noises, so I suspect that the package will be detonated.

Local TV is one minute away from a cut in. If there is any info, I'll post.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
According to the Washington Post, there was a box in baggage claim (a shipping box) that started playing music or sounds (I'm thinking childrens toy here) so they ordered the evacuation. They are identified the owner of the package, and the FBI is investigating.

Others are saying they are going to detonate the package, but the all clear was given.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all......

To see if OKC is accepting in-bound aircraft, I'm watching if AA 1878 DFW-OKC is getting into the air.....it's currently showing delayed until just 1pm central..... if it gets in air, I'll have good hopes for SW 1077 DAL-OKC.

Thanks to everyone..... I'm here at DAL gate 5..... spreading the word to the pax on the SW DAL-OKC-DEN-SEA flight and the inbound SW OKC-ABQ-DEN flight...... checking on alternate routings for folks...... so many thanks for the better info researchers here on FT...... thanks from us all!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:31 am

Local news media advises that approx 500 pax in west concourse have been advised to not be alarmed when they hear a "loud noise".

Pax in terminal have access to food as food court is open.

Landside pax have been sent to parking garage and airport is providing water as it is hot outside.

Incident is apparently still in progress.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:34 am

Earlier, news helicopter reported a SWA plane and a Delta plane had landed and was on the ramp, but never clarified if they were permitted to connect with the jetway.

Helicopter is back over the airport.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

This is the wonderful example of the "fog of events"..... here at DAL Gate 5, a SW agent very authoritatively said that OKC was not accepting inbound flights and that the whole terminal had been "dumped"...... this is different than what news reports say about pax in terminal and arriving flights.....

just now (12:47 central) guy next to me with cell phone to friend at OKC airport says the "boom" has been heard of the package being destroyed

thanks to all.....
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:53 am

Airport spokesperson has advised that package is to be "disrupted" again.

Apparently the first try didn't take.

News cut in in 3 minutes.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:03 pm

News media shows several a/c on the ramp both at gates and out near the taxiways. That many planes on the ground at one time suggests to me that the airport is still closed. Helicopter says no commercial aviation coming or going.

OKC Tower frequency has been quiet as well except for one general aviation flight.

Package was "disrupted" a second time, but no word on the outcome.

BTW, tried to edit my profile with location: I'm in Midwest City, OK.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

SW flt 1077 scheduled for DAL-OKC, then OKC-DEN now will fly non-stop DAL-DEN, bypassing OKC....... so I've got a rental car ready for the 3.5hr drive.......thanks again to all......been passing the info along to the many pax here at DAL Gate 5...... thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:31 pm

Incident still in Progress.

Bomb Squad is hitting suspicious package with a water cannon.

Losing one news helicopter due to fuel.

Overhead shot shows a/c from UX 3, AA 1, CO 1, SWA 3, and Delta 2 all at gates at the same time. There were at two more out near the taxiway, but I think that earlier reports of aircraft activity were likely those a/c being moved to the gates so that the pax could disembark into the west concourse.

The figure of two hours more time was mentioned, but you know how that goes.

Briefing from OKC PD essentially confirms basic facts:

Suspicious package left in baggage claim - package made noises - landside evacuated - airside confined to west concourse - package being examined and disrupted - very limited aviation activity.

Latest news radio traffic is that the scene has been secured (package rendered inert) and that as soon as the package has been removed, confined pax will be released. This is unconfirmed information until something actually happens.

AA 3799 (LAX - OKC) arriving 17R 13:37

Last edited by woodyrr; Jun 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:50 pm

KOCO TV reports terminal is now open.

Package is "harmless".

Don't know if pax airside are going to have to re-clear security.

UA 5914 (ORD - OKC) cleared to land.

It's going to be a mess for a while.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Absolutely retarded overreaction.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Agree that this was an absolute overreaction. It seems like a reasonable place to begin would be with checking the tag on the item to see if it was properly checked in, and thus screened. If so, it seems likely that it wasd a musical toy or electronic game and thus the freak out could have been avoided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.