Wiki Posts
Search

How to "Swap" pts from Program X to Y?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
How to "Swap" pts from Program X to Y?

I have a ton of points from one chain and would love to stay at a specific vacation property from another program, and my travels don't allow me to obtain many points from them. Are there any good places/ methods to trade/ barter points? Thanks.
Old May 7, 2011, 2:41 pm

www.points.com

Cheers,
Old May 7, 2011, 6:54 pm

In your question you asked for good places to exchange points. Points.com does not meet this requirement. Their conversion rates are abysmal. Check it out there, it is possible that there are a couple of hidden gems.

In general point transfers between programs are not a good value. The SPG transfer rates to airline programs are very good but most people value SPG points higher than a similar quantity of airline points.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:58 pm

I think you can transfer a certain # of points to Amtrak then to another hotel chain?
Old May 8, 2011, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Interesting ideas, thanks.

I was originally thinking of doing a trade with another person. You book me a room, I do the same, or I xfer x amount of points to your account from Program A, and you do so from Program B. But how do you accomplish this in a safe manner? I may try to find a fellow travelling coworker, but I will give these ideas a shot. Thanks.

It just seems a shame to shell out a couple of grand for a hotel when you have so many points at other chains.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:56 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As this is not specific to Starwood, please follow it in TravelBuzz!

l'etoile
Starwood co-mod
Old May 8, 2011, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Whats the best web site to exchange points without devaluing too much?
Old May 9, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Whats the best web site to exchange points without devaluing too much?
No such animal.

Check www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/ for some ways to convert points from one program to another.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by I 40
Interesting ideas, thanks.

I was originally thinking of doing a trade with another person. You book me a room, I do the same, or I xfer x amount of points to your account from Program A, and you do so from Program B. But how do you accomplish this in a safe manner? I may try to find a fellow travelling coworker, but I will give these ideas a shot. Thanks.
This has been done by many people. BUT make sure that all parties agree that the booking is a gift - not a barter or trade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.