Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Drop Off Charges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Car Rental Drop Off Charges

Is there any way of eliminating or minimizing drop off charges? I want to rent a car in Phoenix and drop off in San Francisco.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Only between popular one way rentals. LAX SFO is a popular no drop fee pairs.

YVR SEA is another. I have negotiated very cheap one way rental at the counter because cars needed to be returned to their originating airport.

SFO PHX - probably not.

The drop fee is to cover the cost of getting the car back to the original rental location
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:00 pm

A few years ago I hired a car from Dollar and picked up in SFO and dropped it at PHX and was not charged a one way drop off fee.

I have just checked the UK website and it appears to be still the same, i.e. no drop off (however not sure if this is only for UK residents).

The website says -
Please Note - There is no fee for one way rentals within the states of Florida and California, or for one way rentals between the states of California, Arizona and Nevada.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Hertz currently has a $5/day special with no drop charge, expires 31May, PHX-SFO included.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/specia...xml&Category=Q

Avis has a similar special, starts at $16/day and ends on 30April.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/deals...s-US_en-021722
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
i know IAD-DCA has no drop-off charges, I asked at the counter and they said that both places pull from the same pool of vehicles. The big companies shouldn't object too much with one way rentals that are reasonable.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:48 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
With an Avis Preferred membership and a certain AWD, the rates I have been quoted don't have a drop-off fee (and are extremely low to begin with).
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:50 am

The drop fee is to cover the cost of getting the car back to the original rental location

Not between corporate stores in the same country. The cars randomly circulate all over the place. The difference in price reflects mileage and demand. If there are no extra charges, it's because of a highly competitive one-way route, where all the companies want a cut, or co-terminals considered as the same area.

Cross-border one-ways are different, because they may be governed by each country's import laws.

This thread may be better off in the Rental Car section.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
Hertz currently has a $5/day special with no drop charge, expires 31May, PHX-SFO included.

Avis has a similar special, starts at $16/day and ends on 30April.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/deals...s-US_en-021722
That's an unbelievable deal. Even with taxes and fees, it's less than $200 for 2 weeks.

Thanks! That's a tremendous help.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:00 am
Original Poster

OK, I got the Arizona deal ($5/day Hertz). Pick up at PHX, drop off at LAX. That covers the first 2 weeks. Any good deals 10 or 11 days LAX - SFO.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 3:37 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Do you have two drivers available?

It might be worthwhile to head back towards the AZ state line for your second rental ending at SFO. Change the dropoff location of rental #1 to Imperial County Airport CA; and make your second rental pickup at the Yuma AZ airport (about a hour drive between). Just make sure to pick up car #2 first, then convoy 1 and 2 from YUM to IPL for the #1 dropoff. Your second rental will be $90 all in for two more weeks.

If that's too expensive, you can stack CDP codes with the DRV5 rate code to get it even cheaper!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Do you have two drivers available?

It might be worthwhile to head back towards the AZ state line for your second rental ending at SFO. Change the dropoff location of rental #1 to Imperial County Airport CA; and make your second rental pickup at the Yuma AZ airport (about a hour drive between). Just make sure to pick up car #2 first, then convoy 1 and 2 from YUM to IPL for the #1 dropoff. Your second rental will be $90 all in for two more weeks.

If that's too expensive, you can stack CDP codes with the DRV5 rate code to get it even cheaper!
That's a very creative solution, but I don't have 2 drivers. I'm going with my son and he's underage to drive a rental car. Really looking for how to get a one way rental at LAX and drop at SFO without paying too much. Actually, we've shortened our trip so it's only 4 extra days, not 10 or 11. I know to you very experienced travelers it's probably a no-brainer, but I've been searching online and calling rental car companies and haven't found anything reasonable.

I really appreciate the help.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:39 pm

You can do the AZ deal and keep the car for 2 weeks. But it sounds like you want an additional 10-11 days beyond that.

Here's an idea: Pick up the AZ driveout car from a neighborhood store in Phoenix. Set your return location to a neighborhood store in Los Angeles. Then open a new contract at the neighborhood store for a one-way to SFO for the additional days. This will avoid the airport fees at PHX and LAX.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:18 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by roma1625
That's an unbelievable deal. Even with taxes and fees, it's less than $200 for 2 weeks.

Thanks! That's a tremendous help.
<<

>>
I just booked this deal. TREMENDOUS for sure!
ONT to PHX 6 days for $46.00 10/3-10/9/12
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:00 pm

Frequently in the fall there are deals to drive from the northeast to Florida, and in the spring there are deals to drive from Florida to the northeast.

Rental cars get shuffled around a lot. It's not that common to get a car with license plates of the state you're in. Florida rental cars in the winter have license plates from all over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.