Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles
No idea where and or when I would go.

I have a Ohio DL
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Some countries will accept an OH Drivers licenses directly. Other require the Intl Driving permit together with your OH license.
Then there are countries which does not accept the intl permit.

The Intl driving permit is only a permit, it is to be used in conjunction with your home government issued driver license.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:04 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I have one and I have had to use it in Bulgaria just last year. Got pulled over my the cops. Imagine that - a cop in Bulgaria actually stopping someone. Didn't have to pay him a bribe or anything, even more amazing!

It was not necessary in Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, or Austria.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Whether a rental car company will rent to you without it is different than whether you will need one if stopped. What it basically does is translate the driver's license into different languages. Err on the side of caution if you are unsure. It doesn't cost that much.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got one, the first time in years, for driving in Italy and Germany. Since I had no problems on the trip, it was unnecesary. It's certainly true that European car rental companies don't require it.

It is required in Japan to rent a car. Still, if you are determined enough, you might be able to rent a car in Japan without it -- I did once.

Although it's cheap -- $15 and two pictures -- it's only good for a year, which is annoyingly short. AAA will issue it for you even if you aren't a member.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
In most instances, you'll need one. Have had one every year for the past 4 years. Easiest way is go to AAA. Will need 2 passport pics (Get them before or AAA can take them for a fee). Cost is about 20 USD, takes all of 5 min after once you get to the que. Valid for 1 year but only if you also have your US license with you
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
The international drivers permit is, essentially, a translation of your real drivers license. It is meaningless if you don't have your real drivers license with you.

It is only good for a year. I'd say wait until you have an international trip planned, then look up the destination country's regulations to see if they require an international drivers license. IF so, get one then. If not, skip it.

Personally, I don't bother if I am going to a country where the native language is in Latin script: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. I would get one where the native language uses other characters: Japan, Arabic countries, China, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
AAA is the source for Int'l DLs

Originally Posted by grteyes2
In most instances, you'll need one. Have had one every year for the past 4 years. Easiest way is go to AAA. Will need 2 passport pics (Get them before or AAA can take them for a fee). Cost is about 20 USD, takes all of 5 min after once you get to the que. Valid for 1 year but only if you also have your US license with you
At $15 (now $20) a pop, I picked up seven (yes, 7) IDLs back in 1994 or 1995. They were frankly cheap-looking and cardboardy, like a big, old-fashioned passport from between the world wars, but covered in lots of officialese language and sigils. I would use them in countries where the local gendarmes would stop and shake down foreign drivers.

On two different occasions, the peace officer indicated that if I failed to pay the on-the-spot fine, he would confiscate my license. In both instances, I told him that he was welcome to keep the IDL and drove away.

The world seems a darker, more dangerous place now that it did twelve or fifteen years ago, however, so I don't know whether I would do that again. Five lonely IDLs sit in my travel drawer gathering dust these days.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:12 am

I have never been asked for an international driving permit, but I take one when I'm planning to drive in a country for which my local motorists' association say I ought to have one. I figure that, at the price, it's worth playing it safe, and if one is required and I don't have one, I really don't have a leg to stand on if I'm refused a car rental or the police want to see it.

As noted above, it is essentially a translation of your own driving licence into five or six languages. It has no validity without the driving licence proper, so you need to take that with you as well.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Personally, I don't bother if I am going to a country where the native language is in Latin script: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. I would get one where the native language uses other characters: Japan, Arabic countries, China, etc.
The IDP is needed in Italy:

http://www.italiantourism.com/transp...ving_License__

We're also going to be driving in France this spring, and they don't require an IDP, but we had to get one anyway for Italy.

joe
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You would be much better off to have it and not be asked for it at the rental counter or should somebody hit you or something than you would be to not have it and need it.

The only place I've ever been asked to show it has been Italy when picking up rentals.

While it's good for a year, that assumes that your regular drivers license is also good for a year, if you regular license expires in a month, your international driving permit will need to be redone after you renew your license.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I get asked for my inter-american driving permit at least once every few months at checkpoints in Brazil.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
The only place I've ever been asked to show it has been Italy when picking up rentals.
My mileage varied.

I rented a car in Bologna, Italy, last year and was not asked for an IDP. Good thing; I did not even have one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.