FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1198448-how-travel-f-f-etiquette.html)

cotter77 Mar 25, 11 2:21 pm

How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette
 
Just booked my first huge, international award in C/F through CO YYZ-DPS with stopover in BKK all on AC and TG.
my only other major F experience was on recent trip on UA to hawaii
Lots of stuff that looks exciting also leads to confusion:

What is the deal with turndown service? do all airlines offer this in Y? what about in C? do you go to the bathroom and expect them to have turned your seat into a bed? do you stand there while they are doing this?

amenity kits....do you guys keep this thing or is it just stuff to use while you are onboard?

pre-departure bevs......if they only offer water or juice, do you make requests? ask for the bubbly or the booze if you know they are going to have it after takeoff but you'd like a little to loosen you up for takeoff?

lounges....from what i read on staralliance webpage, I should be welcome at just any of the star lounges and any of the partners lounges? even the SQ or LH lounges if i hear that they are better?

If i friends in the back of the plane, mid-flight maybe after meal or something (assuming there is a companion ottoman chair or something or I have one of those suites) can you envite your Y friend to sit and converse and have a drink with you? or is this a rare exception to the rules (i read it in one of the TRs)?

Jalinth Mar 25, 11 2:36 pm

Could you post your actual routing with airlines and classes? Neither CO or AC have an int'l first product. They call them business/executive first but these are int'l business products. Thai does have F but not all routes (not TPAC AFAIK).

cotter77 Mar 25, 11 3:00 pm

YYZ-CDG in AC in biz
CDG-BKK in TG in F
BKK-DPS on TG in F on the 744

DPS-BKK on TG in F
BKK-PVG on TG in biz for the wife and me in Y unless i find space opens up
PVG-YYZ on AC in Biz , i think its a 777 seat guru called it executivefirst or something like that (cant remember)

marble Mar 25, 11 5:08 pm


Originally Posted by cotter77 (Post 16101636)
do you go to the bathroom and expect them to have turned your seat into a bed? do you stand there while they are doing this?

I normally go to the bathroom while they do this. If I'm having a sleep I tend to brush my teeth beforehand ... sometimes the FA is chatty and it's fine to hang around ... sometimes it just feels a bit awkward!


Originally Posted by cotter77 (Post 16101636)
amenity kits....do you guys keep this thing or is it just stuff to use while you are onboard?

Amenity kits are definitely things to keep. Slippers and pyjamas are also acceptable to keep though I can't imagine many people want more than one or two pairs in their drawers at home.


Originally Posted by cotter77 (Post 16101636)
even the SQ or LH lounges if i hear that they are better?

I think you can use their star alliance gold/business lounges but often their first class lounges are reserved for people travelling with them (certainly the case with LH first class terminal etc).


Originally Posted by cotter77 (Post 16101636)
can you envite your Y friend to sit and converse and have a drink with you?

It's a controversial one and is likely to evoke the most passionate response from others on this board. Generally I think people frown upon it but I guess the real arbiter is the FA ... if they're happy then go ahead.

Enjoy the flight!

pinworm Mar 26, 11 12:51 pm

No, you should not have your friends visit you in F. That cabin is for those with F tickets, and having others standing around in the aisle can annoy the pax seating near them. Same for going back into coach for that matter.

If they do not hold F tickets, it devalues the F ticket of others to have free loaders hanging around in the F cabin. The extra room and quiet of F compared to coach is for F ticket holders. People from the coach and biz cabins are not supposed to come up and sample it/hang around just because one of their buddies has an F seat.

About 5 years ago I was flying domestic F which not nearly as plush as intl' on a USairways flight and a gent from coach got seated up there because his seat was broken. He was what the british might describe as a "Lager lout" and the americans would describe as "trailer trash". WWF shirt, large girth, drunk as a skunk. We were not in the air 30 minutes before this guy's 3 other drunken buddies crashed the cabin to see him and he was drunkenly bragging about it to them so we could all hear. They even whipped out a camera and began taking pics of him, then they each sat in the seat and had their pic taken, all the while making wise cracks about "livin' the high life" and "don't be thinkin you're better than us!" and "Order some whiskeys and bring em back to us" etc. Oddly (although it was USAirways) it took the FA at least 5 minutes to even respond to this crap and kick them back to their own seats...and they still came back up once or twice. The FA cut the guy off the drinks (he was brining them back to his friends) he got nasty about it.

I am not saying your companions are like this! That was an extreme case, but the principle remains the same. Like sharing food in a restraunt to save a few bucks or taking a doggie bag from a buffet, it's kind of trashy to split your F service with your companions.

B748i Mar 27, 11 12:09 am

Seems a bit harsh to say that an F passenger shouldn't be allowed to have their spouse come up and talk for a bit, at least not an automatic blanket rule. If there were space on the flight, he'd be up there talking with her, just the same. He indicated not using the aisle ("assuming there is a companion ottoman chair or something or I have one of those suites"). It's not really a case of "hey come check out all this fancy first class stuff!", because he'd have his own F ticket if there was space in the cabin on the particular flight.

Actually, that leg is "only" business class according to his 2nd post. Less likely to have an ottoman or suite perhaps.

The OP and 2nd post make me wonder about my future goal of flying RTW in real F. I looked at one RTW route finder gizmo and found it hard to route all or even most of my desired destinations in F. I suppose when the time comes I can easily find help here though.

tomsundstrom Mar 27, 11 12:28 am


Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 16105914)

About 5 years ago I was flying domestic F which not nearly as plush as intl' on a USairways flight and a gent from coach got seated up there because his seat was broken. He was what the british might describe as a "Lager lout" and the americans would describe as "trailer trash". WWF shirt, large girth, drunk as a skunk. We were not in the air 30 minutes before this guy's 3 other drunken buddies crashed the cabin to see him and he was drunkenly bragging about it to them so we could all hear. They even whipped out a camera and began taking pics of him, then they each sat in the seat and had their pic taken, all the while making wise cracks about "livin' the high life" and "don't be thinkin you're better than us!" and "Order some whiskeys and bring em back to us" etc. Oddly (although it was USAirways) it took the FA at least 5 minutes to even respond to this crap and kick them back to their own seats...and they still came back up once or twice. The FA cut the guy off the drinks (he was brining them back to his friends) he got nasty about it.

They must have missed their WN flight! ;)

snaffled Mar 27, 11 2:33 am

SQ Lounges
 
I don't think that you can use the specific SQ lounges while not on an SQ flight unless they happen to be sharing lounges. In general you can use the Star Alliance lounges though.

Christopher Mar 27, 11 3:52 am

As to inviting your friend from another area of the plane to join you in First for a while, I'd be entirely guided by the circumstances (e.g. I have been in First when there have been two passengers in a space that can sit twelve or sixteen) and, most importantly, by what the flight attendant says, rather than by any blanket rule.

ORDnHKG Mar 27, 11 4:09 am


Originally Posted by Kev- (Post 16108238)
Seems a bit harsh to say that an F passenger shouldn't be allowed to have their spouse come up and talk for a bit, at least not an automatic blanket rule. If there were space on the flight, he'd be up there talking with her, just the same. He indicated not using the aisle ("assuming there is a companion ottoman chair or something or I have one of those suites"). It's not really a case of "hey come check out all this fancy first class stuff!", because he'd have his own F ticket if there was space in the cabin on the particular flight.

Harsh ? Definately NOT. And yes, there is a rule to ban Y and C pax to come up to F. If the FA didn't enforce this rule, it is only because the FA is lazy. Even UA FA would make an annuncement that pax should only stay in their own ticketed cabin.

F pax can go to C and Y to talk to your companion but not vice versa. Asian carriers would definately enforce this rule no matter what, and NH for an example, would even put a sign at the curtain that separate each cabin about pax should not go pass their ticketed cabin.

Space or not in F is irrelevant, as most time on long haul F it is always empty, but it doesn't mean anyone from Y or C are invited to go there to talk with someone you know.

Even when F pax go to C and Y is not suggested, as I have been with many F long haul flights on Asian carriers, I decided to talk a walk, and the FA serve in F even go to look for me. I know they want to tell me I should not go to other cabins, however, they know since I am in the premium cabin, they worry it would upset me, and I just tell them I want some exercise for my feet.

B747-437B Mar 27, 11 4:19 am

The beauty of First Class is that there is no hard-and-fast rule on how to behave. It is designed for you to customize the experience within the resources available. Ask politely for whatever you want and treat the serving staff with courtesy. I've found that makes for the most enjoyable flight experience.

KoKoBuddy Mar 27, 11 10:04 am


Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 16105914)

About 5 years ago I was flying domestic F which not nearly as plush as intl' on a USairways flight and a gent from coach got seated up there because his seat was broken. He was what the british might describe as a "Lager lout" and the americans would describe as "trailer trash". WWF shirt, large girth, drunk as a skunk. We were not in the air 30 minutes before this guy's 3 other drunken buddies crashed the cabin to see him and he was drunkenly bragging about it to them so we could all hear. They even whipped out a camera and began taking pics of him, then they each sat in the seat and had their pic taken, all the while making wise cracks about "livin' the high life" and "don't be thinkin you're better than us!"

Dude you need to get a sense of humor. Had that guy been sitting next to me I would have taken a group photo of him and his buddies. I know sitting in F is hohum for everyone here. For some it's a once in a lifetime event. Let the guy enjoy his 15 minutes of "livin the high life".


Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 16105914)
Like sharing food in a restraunt to save a few bucks or taking a doggie bag from a buffet, it's kind of trashy.

Huh? Ordering one item to share is now a crime as well? :confused Ft etiquette rules are tougher than those administered by the queen of England.

pinworm Mar 27, 11 2:50 pm


Originally Posted by Kev- (Post 16108238)
Seems a bit harsh to say that an F passenger shouldn't be allowed to have their spouse come up and talk for a bit, at least not an automatic blanket rule. If there were space on the flight, he'd be up there talking with her, just the same. He indicated not using the aisle ("assuming there is a companion ottoman chair or something or I have one of those suites"). It's not really a case of "hey come check out all this fancy first class stuff!", because he'd have his own F ticket if there was space in the cabin on the particular flight.

Actually, that leg is "only" business class according to his 2nd post. Less likely to have an ottoman or suite perhaps.

The OP and 2nd post make me wonder about my future goal of flying RTW in real F. I looked at one RTW route finder gizmo and found it hard to route all or even most of my desired destinations in F. I suppose when the time comes I can easily find help here though.

Not harsh at all. Non-F pax are not even supposed to come up to use the F lav...although it happens when the FA is not particuarly sharp. That cabin is for those with F tickets only, full stop. They only time non-F pax should even see it is when they board and deplane. This is part of the service offered. If someone is seaparated from their spouse, the F pax can go back into coach and visit them, or learn to be seaparated from their spouse for a few hours. The world will not end. Splitting the seat is just tacky behavior, like sneaking companions into a hotel room to save a few bucks after you check in as 1 person.

On the other subject of doing a RTW in first...yeah, it can be hard to get it all the way. What you should do is save the F ticks for the longer haul flights and fly coach for the shorter haul flights, say under 4 hours.

pinworm Mar 27, 11 2:54 pm

Huh? Ordering one item to share is now a crime as well? :confused Ft etiquette rules are tougher than those administered by the queen of England.

I never said it was a crime, I said it was "trashy".

These guys were a bunch of drunken, noisy louts and two of the 3 should not even have been up there.

Christopher Mar 27, 11 3:44 pm


Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 16111013)
I never said it was a crime, I said it was "trashy".

These guys were a bunch of drunken, noisy louts and two of the 3 should not even have been up there.

I think that situation is a bit different, though, from a paying first-class passenger having a visitor who is a well-behaved spouse, son or daughter, business colleague or friend all with the permission of the cabin crew, of course.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:16 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.