Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette

How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette

Old Mar 29, 11, 4:13 am

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
Are there any actual airline published rules on the matter of visitors in 1st class and allowing unwashed Y passengers to visit?
There were no published rules to be seen for the public, however, if you write letters to all airlines, certainly they can present you one from where they instruct the FA.

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
The way I see it, I own that F seat for the duration of the flight. If I want guests coming in to say hi, I can allow them up there. And if I want to switch seats or let someone take a picture in my seat, it's my prerogative.

What I don't really understand is why anyone else cares what I do with my seat. As long as nobody is taking away your seat, it's really none of your business what I do with mine. Most of the time on a flight, whether in 1st or coach I am either asleep or have headphones on watching a movie. I really couldn't care less what the guy next to me is doing.
Don't just say what you can or will do, have you ever tried that yourself ? And unless you have the permission of the FA, you can't even switch seats in F.

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 View Post
What if, hypothetically, the entire F cabin was occupied by just one party (a solo traveler, a couple, or a family)? Would it be OK for visitors to come up and visit that one party, since there would be no one else to disturb?
NO, and I have flown and experienced in multiple long haul F flights, SQ/NH/OZ and even UA. All of my flights I was the only pax in F, if there were pax those were deadhead pilots. It is not about if one come from C or Y would disturb F pax, it is about anyone from C or Y are not entiltled to go pass the curtain.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 29, 11 at 4:22 am
Old Mar 29, 11, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Seems we're talking two different things here -the OP as I understand it has an F award ticket but space hasn't yet opened up for him. So he has paid for it (no different paying with miles to money) and presumably will if seats remain open get moved up -a bit of a different situation to Mr Tightwad who buys himself a F ticket but buys his wife a Y ticket and then expects her to be able to sit in F with him anyway.
Old Mar 29, 11, 8:50 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Perhaps we can agree that if it's not against an airline's rules, and if it's okay with the FAs, then it is permitted. Still, there are those who think this should not happen even if it is permitted. I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind about this.
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Yep.

Along with the "Kids who won't get off my lawn," and "People who play that rock-n-roll music too loud" threads, it certainly will get some passionate responses.

It probably won't get as ugly as the "Who moved Bingo back 15 minutes - Now I can't eat dinner at 5pm!" discussion, but it will be close.
Very well said
Old Mar 30, 11, 2:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 View Post
What if, hypothetically, the entire F cabin was occupied by just one party (a solo traveler, a couple, or a family)? Would it be OK for visitors to come up and visit that one party, since there would be no one else to disturb?
In the US post 9/11, many airlines consider passengers moving between cabins to be a security issue. I've seen multiple occasions on Delta where flight attendants politely but firmly remove passengers visiting the F/J cabin on those grounds - including cases which were obviously non-threatening, like a husband and wife sharing an upgrade 50/50 by each intending to occupy the upgrade seat for half of the flight.

Likely unique to flights that required you to remove your shoes to get onboard, but in this case would be a justification for denying visitors even if a single party occupied the F cabin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: