Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette

How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette

Old Mar 27, 11, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
Huh? Ordering one item to share is now a crime as well? :confused Ft etiquette rules are tougher than those administered by the queen of England.
Taking a doggie bag from a buffet is tacky and some might say stealing. Sharing an entree though - another matter entirely. I did this myself not two hours ago. Restaurant portions these days are huge and we often split meals; that way we each get a normal amount of food and in the process save a little money (although that's a secondary motivation). I don't feel compelled to order two entrees if neither of us is hungry enough to eat that much, just on principle.

OTOH, "sharing" the F product with friends in the back of the plane is just not OK.
Old Mar 27, 11, 6:53 pm

Are there any actual airline published rules on the matter of visitors in 1st class and allowing unwashed Y passengers to visit?

The way I see it, I own that F seat for the duration of the flight. If I want guests coming in to say hi, I can allow them up there. And if I want to switch seats or let someone take a picture in my seat, it's my prerogative.

What I don't really understand is why anyone else cares what I do with my seat. As long as nobody is taking away your seat, it's really none of your business what I do with mine. Most of the time on a flight, whether in 1st or coach I am either asleep or have headphones on watching a movie. I really couldn't care less what the guy next to me is doing.
Old Mar 28, 11, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
Are there any actual airline published rules on the matter of visitors in 1st class and allowing unwashed Y passengers to visit?

The way I see it, I own that F seat for the duration of the flight. If I want guests coming in to say hi, I can allow them up there. And if I want to switch seats or let someone take a picture in my seat, it's my prerogative.

What I don't really understand is why anyone else cares what I do with my seat. As long as nobody is taking away your seat, it's really none of your business what I do with mine. Most of the time on a flight, whether in 1st or coach I am either asleep or have headphones on watching a movie. I really couldn't care less what the guy next to me is doing.
I don't care who sits in the seat either, but if there is contstant getting up and down, chatting, some butt in my face from their freinds coming to visit, and a general party, I get annoyed, and annoyance is not what they want for their passengers at any airline. There is more than likely someone in that row with you who has to put up with it, and if you are at the window and the stranger is in the aisle seat, it becomes a real PIA.

But you don't own the seat, and you certainly don't have any ownership of the F cabin itself to decide to start inviting people up into it. The F cabin is exclusive space, and those whose names are not on the manifest as such should not be up there.
Old Mar 28, 11, 1:43 am

I have to say I completely agree with pinworm on this. I haven't flown F yet, but when I do I would like it to be as exclusive as possible.
Old Mar 28, 11, 5:03 am

I've seen a photo on an airline website, showing a couple dining together at one seat. I tried to find it just now, but couldn't locate it quickly. It was either an international business or first class seat, with an ottoman. One sat on the ottoman and the other in the seat, the table was set for two. I could be remembering it slightly wrong, but it was certainly two people in one seat or suite doing something. This is the image that came to mind reading the OP.

I agree with most of the sentiment regarding exclusivity, except the idea that the paying first class passenger couldn't request their spouse come up to sit with them for a little while - assuming it's one designed like that in the mystery photo. Unless you see the person come in or have paid close attention to everyone else sitting in the cabin, you won't know any different anyway.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to take the OP and what I'm saying as "inviting people up into it".

As B747-437B alluded, a politely assertive or dignified request to the flight attendant could probably, on some airlines in some circumstances, have the desired result. And in my opinion, should.

Though it is just my opinion, I suppose. I mostly wanted to mention that photo I'd seen, not meaning to make this go back-and-forth.
Old Mar 28, 11, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Kev- View Post
I've seen a photo on an airline website, showing a couple dining together at one seat. I tried to find it just now, but couldn't locate it quickly. It was either an international business or first class seat, with an ottoman. One sat on the ottoman and the other in the seat, the table was set for two. I could be remembering it slightly wrong, but it was certainly two people in one seat or suite doing something. This is the image that came to mind reading the OP.
Something along the lines of the pic in this blog.
Old Mar 28, 11, 7:07 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by marble View Post
I normally go to the bathroom while they do this. If I'm having a sleep I tend to brush my teeth beforehand ... sometimes the FA is chatty and it's fine to hang around ... sometimes it just feels a bit awkward!

Amenity kits are definitely things to keep. Slippers and pyjamas are also acceptable to keep though I can't imagine many people want more than one or two pairs in their drawers at home.

I think you can use their star alliance gold/business lounges but often their first class lounges are reserved for people travelling with them (certainly the case with LH first class terminal etc).

It's a controversial one and is likely to evoke the most passionate response from others on this board. Generally I think people frown upon it but I guess the real arbiter is the FA ... if they're happy then go ahead.

Enjoy the flight!
Very well said it took about 5 minutes and here it is...
Old Mar 28, 11, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Kev- View Post
Both CX and BA can set this up for people who are keen. On BA though, you'd better hope that your companion has a modest behind...
Old Mar 28, 11, 1:48 pm

on AA too
Old Mar 28, 11, 2:19 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I thought the general rule on most airlines was that passengers of all classes are supposed to remain in the classes for which they are assigned.
Old Mar 28, 11, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC View Post
I thought the general rule on most airlines was that passengers of all classes are supposed to remain in the classes for which they are assigned.
and again...
Funny the second poster of this thread warned this might happen, why don't we drop the subject of visiting a pax in F?
Old Mar 28, 11, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by david-alexis View Post
and again...
Funny the second poster of this thread warned this might happen, why don't we drop the subject of visiting a pax in F?
Perhaps we can agree that if it's not against an airline's rules, and if it's okay with the FAs, then it is permitted. Still, there are those who think this should not happen even if it is permitted. I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind about this.
Old Mar 28, 11, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marble View Post
It's a controversial one and is likely to evoke the most passionate response from others on this board.
Yep.

Along with the "Kids who won't get off my lawn," and "People who play that rock-n-roll music too loud" threads, it certainly will get some passionate responses.

It probably won't get as ugly as the "Who moved Bingo back 15 minutes - Now I can't eat dinner at 5pm!" discussion, but it will be close.
Old Mar 28, 11, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
What if, hypothetically, the entire F cabin was occupied by just one party (a solo traveler, a couple, or a family)? Would it be OK for visitors to come up and visit that one party, since there would be no one else to disturb?
Old Mar 28, 11, 10:20 pm

I flew the famous Delta "first" LAX-HNL yesterday, what I really missed with that cabin is that the cabin is not bigger. Y gives you the room to walk around. The service was great and as for the predeparture drink the default was mai tai, but people requested other things as well and that was okey with the FAs. But then again Delta domestic "first" is more like economy extra on intercontinental flights.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: