Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing local GSM SIM cards in various locations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Hilton Diamond
Purchasing local GSM SIM cards in various locations

I will be travelling to Hong Kong, US and Paris on vacation. Would anybody have info on whether it is possible to easily purchase pre-paid local SIM cards (GSM not CDMA) at these places? Will save quite a bit on roaming fees.

If the pre-paid plan has data in addition to voice, that is a bonus. Also will they have the mini-SIM for the iphone4?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've recently discovered a great site (with which I have no connection) that tracks all this sort of stuff. Take a look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple
I will be travelling to Hong Kong, US and Paris on vacation. Would anybody have info on whether it is possible to easily purchase pre-paid local SIM cards (GSM not CDMA) at these places? Will save quite a bit on roaming fees.

If the pre-paid plan has data in addition to voice, that is a bonus. Also will they have the mini-SIM for the iphone4?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know specifically about Paris but you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards in the US and In Hong Kong. I imagine it is also possible in Paris as I have heard of others doing it.

In the USA pre-paid SIM cards can be purchased from T-mobile. (as long as it is still T-mobile.

In Hong Kong a pre-paid SIM can be purchased for any of the major telecoms at the 7-11 and other convenience locations.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Also, the FlyerTalk Travel Techology forum has a consolidated thread on SIM card availability, use and activation issues here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-thread-6.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Paris is tough.
The French government "Frowns" on any NON-CITIZEN getting a French Phone Number - thus the French Sim Card has been hard for me to get. Maybe you will have luck. As an American, I used www.britishsims.com and got a British Sim on the "ORANGE" network, and that works in France since they have ORANGE - I got a decent rate and roaming cost. You'll see "ORANGE" wireless stores all over Paris.
I have not been able to get a French Sim or phone number.

US and China should be fine.

NOTE! YOU MUST BE SURE YOUR PHONE IS "UNLOCKED" OR IT WILL NOT WORK WITH A FOREIGN SIM! Call you service provider and get the unlock code. At least that is the way it works in the US. Assume it is similar abroad.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Paris is tough.
The French government "Frowns" on any NON-CITIZEN getting a French Phone Number - thus the French Sim Card has been hard for me to get. Maybe you will have luck.
Hmm... Last time I could buy a pre-paid SIM card from Orange without any hassle. You still need documents, of course, but they even accepted my US passport card for number registration. Did anybody else have troubles getting a pre-paid SIM card in France?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
FYI. Many times roaming rates in France other EU sim cards are cheaper than French prepaid cards.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
FYI. Many times roaming rates in France other EU sim cards are cheaper than French prepaid cards.
My German pre-paid T-Mobile sim card was exhausted pretty fast in France. It was still worth buying a local sim card.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:54 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by König
Hmm... Last time I could buy a pre-paid SIM card from Orange without any hassle. You still need documents, of course, but they even accepted my US passport card for number registration. Did anybody else have troubles getting a pre-paid SIM card in France?
I tried getting one "IN ADVANCE" from Orange... no go.
Did not try walking into their stores.
Maybe they changed their policy? At the time, they stated I had to be "LIVING IN FRANCE".

Interesting. I'll try it again!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For Hong Kong, I recommend a SIM from 3 (owned by Hutchison Whampoa, which is actually based in hkg). The rates are super and the SIM is easy to acquire; there is even a 3 shop in the airport on the departures level outside security.

Data is also affordable, IIRC, although I didn't use it last trip

as with all prepaid GSM, write down the APN settings before you get there or you will find the setup process frustrating to impossible - for some irritating reason the providers never remember to put that info in the sim package.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BenA

as with all prepaid GSM, write down the APN settings before you get there or you will find the setup process frustrating to impossible - for some irritating reason the providers never remember to put that info in the sim package.
Setup process? I've been using prepaid GSM for years and have never encountered any setup processes that were more complex than: 1) put card in phone; 2) turn on phone; and maybe 3) add funds to the card. What are APN settings?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by König
I bought a pre-paid data SIM in Paris in February. Just needed to show my passport (I went to the Orange store on Place de la Madeleine).
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BenA
I have an unlocked MiFi and have used local data SIMs in Ireland, England, France and Italy and the only time I needed to change the APN was in Italy. The other countries, I just popped in the SIM and was all set.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Setup process? I've been using prepaid GSM for years and have never encountered any setup processes that were more complex than: 1) put card in phone; 2) turn on phone; and maybe 3) add funds to the card. What are APN settings?
They're settings required to use 3G data, and as BenA says they can be a nuisance to discover, particularly in the catch 22 situation where you can't get online to download a list because you don't know the APN settings for your new SIM card. I have an HTML file on my phone that I downloaded from the internet several years ago with a partial list of worldwide APNs, but it's increasingly out of date. I've seen a few iPhone and Android apps with APN lists, but they also seem to be incomplete and out of date. It would be great to have a central database somewhere on the internet that we could all update, and then app developers could download from.

More technical details at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Point_Name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.