Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A new airport lounge option - Airspace lounges.

Old Mar 16, 11, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG

Would you pay $17.50 for access to an airport lounge the next time you have time to kill in the terminal?

That's the hope of start-up company Airspace Lounge, which hopes to add as many as 40 amenity-laden lounges at airports across the United States.

The company is unveiling plans for its first Airspace Lounge, scheduled to open this May at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...7/1?csp=Travel

According to the article, it will have some amenities and something not found in SkyClubs like sandwiches during lunch & dinner hours. Sounds interesting. This might be a good option for airports, like BWI, and others where there is no SkyClub. And for those passengers who don't have membership.
Old Mar 16, 11, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Interesting...

First off.. No free booze...
Food options are a ^

The part I found interesting was that the lounge prices go up as the lounge fills... OK.. I personnally hate the SC when it is full, so this would certainly not be an enticement for me to pay MORE

Just think if the prices at the SC in ATL went up when the lounges were fuller... They could ask $200 during most of the day... OF course you would probably be a fool to pay it, but some DYKWIA would..
Old Mar 16, 11, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Virtually Useless to DL Pax at BWI

Originally Posted by cmh flyer View Post
Would you pay $17.50 for access to an airport lounge the next time you have time to kill in the terminal?

That's the hope of start-up company Airspace Lounge, which hopes to add as many as 40 amenity-laden lounges at airports across the United States.

The company is unveiling plans for its first Airspace Lounge, scheduled to open this May at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...7/1?csp=Travel

According to the article, it will have some amenities and something not found in SkyClubs like sandwiches during lunch & dinner hours. Sounds interesting. This might be a good option for airports, like BWI, and others where there is no SkyClub. And for those passengers who don't have membership.
Unless they have some kind of arrangement with TSA which allows any pax holding a valid BP on any airline for that day's travel to pass through Pier D security, their lounge would be useless for those of us who fly DL (based on the article, United must have closed their lounge in Pier D; I'm guessing that is where this new lounge is going to be).

$17.50 per visit is a lot, particularly with no free booze. For less than that, one can get two large drafts of delicious micro-brewed beer at the Rams Head Tavern in Pier C (this is a branch of the well-known Annapolis brew pub on West Street near the center of town).
Old Mar 16, 11, 8:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
No free booze is fine with me. I don't drink. With the relatively good price, free wifi and power ports at every seat (are you listening DL - after renovating your MSP lounge!!) it sounds like a good value.
Old Mar 16, 11, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I would totally go for that over the Skyclub, but I rarely drink in the SC- There is no free booze in the Airspace.

My latest pet peeve with the skyclub is that they have been removing the luggage storage areas. In addition to becoming tired of tripping over other's bags, I like to leave my bags (filled with non valuables) there when traveling with the toddler while we step out for a bite to eat- since outside food is not allowed in the clubs, and the food in the clubs isn't really a meal.
Old Mar 16, 11, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
Interesting...
Just think if the prices at the SC in ATL went up when the lounges were fuller... They could ask $200 during most of the day...

unless of course there is a P fare that lets you 'lock in' the price of say $75 per visit
Old Mar 16, 11, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by goodandclassy View Post
unless of course there is a P fare that lets you 'lock in' the price of say $75 per visit
Old Apr 10, 11, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5.9M, AA Concierge Key, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, BA Gold Elite
Not too concerned with the lack of free booze...until just 6 months ago, most of the airline clubs charged $50 day for non-members (they still do!!!) and provided nothing. Here, at least, you get food and a place to relax. As to spending $17.50 for "two free delicious drafts", you can still do that. You'll just have to shove your way through the crowded terminal to get to it.
Old Apr 10, 11, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by kvez View Post
Not too concerned with the lack of free booze...until just 6 months ago, most of the airline clubs charged $50 day for non-members (they still do!!!) and provided nothing. Here, at least, you get food and a place to relax. As to spending $17.50 for "two free delicious drafts", you can still do that. You'll just have to shove your way through the crowded terminal to get to it.
Ugh, I would have almost taken this option over the MCO SC today. What a zoo!!!! People had completely re-arranged the joint to watch some golf thing. It was like tip toeing through the daisies to get to the restroom!!!!

The plus side was that that section was actually QUIET!!! The downside was that no one knew what a line was today... I am thinking that since they had been at Disney for a week, they were lost without ropes and poles.... One fool walked right past me in the line to check in. After a look, he backed up.. Too bad his priority pass did not let him in
Old Apr 10, 11, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Ugh, I would have almost taken this option over the MCO SC today. What a zoo!!!! People had completely re-arranged the joint to watch some golf thing. It was like tip toeing through the daisies to get to the restroom!!!!

The plus side was that that section was actually QUIET!!! The downside was that no one knew what a line was today... I am thinking that since they had been at Disney for a week, they were lost without ropes and poles.... One fool walked right past me in the line to check in. After a look, he backed up.. Too bad his priority pass did not let him in
The ATL SC (A Centerpoint) was like that too! I've never met anyone who enjoyed watching golf on TV, but I guess the SC attracts that type of crowd. It made for ample seating away from the TV's.
Old Apr 10, 11, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by realjd View Post
The ATL SC (A Centerpoint) was like that too! I've never met anyone who enjoyed watching golf on TV, but I guess the SC attracts that type of crowd. It made for ample seating away from the TV's.
Since mco Got the big snip snip, it is already overcrowded.....
Old Apr 11, 11, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
If I'm shelling out $$$, I rather have something like this

http://minutesuites.com/
Old Apr 11, 11, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
If I'm shelling out $$$, I rather have something like this

http://minutesuites.com/
Ive tried it.

$37.50 for 45 minutes and no food in a tiny box?

No thanks Minute Suites.
Old Apr 11, 11, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
The part I found interesting was that the lounge prices go up as the lounge fills... OK.. I personnally hate the SC when it is full, so this would certainly not be an enticement for me to pay MORE

Just think if the prices at the SC in ATL went up when the lounges were fuller... They could ask $200 during most of the day... OF course you would probably be a fool to pay it, but some DYKWIA would..
yeah, i think that's the point- make it less attractive for people to come in as it gets crowded to keep the crowds manageable. but if you insist on giving them more money, they'll take it...
Old Feb 22, 13, 12:28 pm
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Hi DL FTers, we're opening the second Airspace Lounge 30 seconds from the Delta gates at CLE:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...c0+MKW20130222

See the rendering and map at airspacelounge.com

Of course if you have any questions we'll do our best to answer them here...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: