Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I Miss People Express

I Miss People Express

Old Mar 10, 11, 3:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Posts: 450
I Miss People Express

Maybe this is nostaligia talking; but, I do miss the days of People Express. Yeah, I knowm they had challeges; but, I always thought the challenges were that the ideas were far ahead of the technology available.

Oddly enough the air carriers seem to be racing to be a People Express; but, PE at least let you know right up front, you pay for what you use and you don't for what you won't.

Their are pretenders in the market; but, PE had a business plan that was way ahead of it's time. Heck, they put EWR on the map. If someone with deep pockets had a hankering to start something like this with say a TTN as a base, and had a K.I.S.S. strategy, it could be scary good.

Yeah, perhaps an EasyJet approach; but, the Europeans are always a step ahead of us and the model works and even co-exists well with legacy carriers.

Last edited by idriveuride; Mar 10, 11 at 3:47 pm
idriveuride is offline  
Old Mar 10, 11, 3:58 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,456
Originally Posted by idriveuride View Post
Maybe this is nostaligia talking; but, I do miss the days of People Express. Yeah, I knowm they had challeges; but, I always thought the challenges were that the ideas were far ahead of the technology available.

Oddly enough the air carriers seem to be racing to be a People Express; but, PE at least let you know right up front, you pay for what you use and you don't for what you won't.

Their are pretenders in the market; but, PE had a business plan that was way ahead of it's time. Heck, they put EWR on the map. If someone with deep pockets had a hankering to start something like this with say a TTN as a base, and had a K.I.S.S. strategy, it could be scary good.

Yeah, perhaps an EasyJet approach; but, the Europeans are always a step ahead of us and the model works and even co-exists well with legacy carriers.
They had BOB - buy your ticket onboard. Could you imagine that today.

dh
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 11, 4:41 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
They had BOB - buy your ticket onboard. Could you imagine that today.

dh
The great thing about today, with internet and other advances, they could nearly get away with a skeleton staff, essentially just to handle baggage as you would buy tickets online, seat assign online, order food online, check-in online and at the airport just give the counter your luggage.
idriveuride is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 3:42 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 30,317
Great paint job too

http://www.airliners.net/photo/PEOPL...43B/1344011/L/
CMK10 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 4:43 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,075
People Express....I remember flying them from PWM to EWR in 1984. What did they call that terminal—it wasn't Terminal C then. Wiki says it was the North Terminal. That rings a bell.

I remember the last minute flight was cheap....like $25 in mid August. That was my first flight with them when I was 14. I went to a camp in Maine which usually hired buses (Trailways type) to take the campers home to the New York area at the end of the season. There was also a Boston bus. Well that year, they combined the Westchester and NYC buses into just one bus but there were maybe 5 more campers than room on the bus so they asked for volunteers to fly home. I remember raising my hand ASAP.
Analise is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 5:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,903
Wow- does that bring back memories! They had oversized luggage bins because they wanted to make it easy to bring your bags on board rather than pay to check them. I remember flying one plane from Newark to Pittsburgh on which the exits were labeled "Ausgang". And yes, it was the North Terminal at EWR that they used. I even flew them to Brussels on business once. Hey, Coach is Coach.

Somehow they got it right with their up-front, always been this way, a la carte pricing. It just seems tackier to start out as a full-service business model and then start cutting out services previously included in the ticket price, which is what the legacies have done.
Athena53 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 5:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
People Express....I remember flying them from PWM to EWR in 1984. What did they call that terminal—it wasn't Terminal C then. Wiki says it was the North Terminal. That rings a bell.
Yep the EWR North Terminal. I fondly remember dodging the hungry rats scurrying among the pax.

Empty airplanes from EWR to YMX - Mirabel was an interesting experiment.

And F on PE1 and PE2 to LGW was a pretty nice deal. Even with the FA's bringing around the credit card cruncher to charge 20 bucks for the buffet spread! Whatever happened to Rachel's brownies?

Too bad Frank Lorenzo got his clutches on PE and killed them.
Tanic is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 6:53 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
I remember the last minute flight was cheap....like $25 in mid August.
We could use an airline like that right about now.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Mar 11, 11, 8:38 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IAH
Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Posts: 141
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

People Express holds a special place in my heart as the first airline I ever flew -- PHL-BOS in early 1985. My recollections are hazy -- twelve-year-old me was mainly just thrilled to be on an airplane -- but I can still remember my mother complaining about the intelligence of the customer service agent she had spoken to. In retrospect, not much has changed.

I also remember wondering why it was necessary to stop in Newark on the way from Boston to Philadelphia. How little I understood then.
Baritone73 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 7:01 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 30,317
Originally Posted by Athena53 View Post
Wow- does that bring back memories! They had oversized luggage bins because they wanted to make it easy to bring your bags on board rather than pay to check them. I remember flying one plane from Newark to Pittsburgh on which the exits were labeled "Ausgang". And yes, it was the North Terminal at EWR that they used. I even flew them to Brussels on business once. Hey, Coach is Coach.
Sounds like you were on one of their 737-100s they bought off Lufthansa.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 8:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 526
MIL wants to go to London with DH and I but will only fly first. We settle on People Express much to her chagrin but.... what a trip, she kept waking me up to get some more drink, after dinner drinks, etc. She thought they certainly beat TWA. They sure beat their price!
Linda VH is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 8:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,321
I never flew them, but years ago received a video (VHS) 747 - A Pilot's Eye View of takeoffs, landings, inflight in a 747 cockpit. All of it was filmed on PE. I don't remember what year I got it, but I think it was just shortly after PE went under. I had vaguely remembered seeing signs for PE at an airport somewhere but knew nothing of them at the time. Sounds like an interesting experience.

I think I still have that video around the house somewhere.

I tend to agree that in some instances I wouldn't mind at all an airline like that, as long as they're upfront about the extras and the ticket price itself actually is significantly lower. It's the legacies that start to charge extras for previously free items, yet without any real decrease in the base fare, that is aggravating.
84fiero is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:52 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
In this day and age, an airline such as people express would be a novelty. Great advertising feature and people would flock.. but a couple of bad days where people don't show up, then the airline and its' planes will be part of the local museum. Great in theory, but hard to make economically viable.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 10:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,640
I especially miss the low fares. I could fly to EWR for under $100.00 roundtrip trip with no advance purchase rules. If I want to fly to EWR tomorrow it would cost me over $1,000.00 rountrip. I am doing the NYC half marathon next Sunday,I have not booked my flight beciase EWR fares was over $400.00 roundtrip even a month in advance so I will either use miles or hope for a weekend special.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Old Mar 12, 11, 10:15 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: based out of LAX
Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Posts: 701
Very nostalgic I remember the credit card machines on the aisle carts so you could buy the ticket on the plane. Just like on a train. I used to fly them when I was in college in the 80s. A couple of friends of mine sat out one day at OHare getting bumped five times in a row ended up with 5 free flight coupons each. They were the talk of the college back then, before the days of commercial internet etc.
businesstraveller2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: